GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New DVD Burners Double Capacity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/03/04 at 20:50
Regular
I was planning to get a DVD Burner this summer so I found this article on Yahoo! quite interesting.

If you just bought a DVD-burning drive for your computer and think that for once you're current with the latest and greatest, it's disappointment time. Manufacturers are soon launching drives that can store double the amount of data on a disc.

Sony Electronics says it will be shipping drives in about two months that accept blank DVDs with two data layers. Philips Electronics will start selling a similar drive in Europe in April, but is not saying when it will be available in the United States.

The write-once discs can store up to 8.5 gigabytes of data, or about 4 hours of DVD-quality movies, twice the capacity of regular blank DVDs. This means capacities for computer-burned DVDs are catching up with prerecorded movie DVDs, many of which are already dual-layer.

The new technology is sure to appeal to those who back up or copy movie DVDs, since they often have to reduce image quality or remove special features to fit a copied movie onto a single-layer disc. With a dual-layer drive, an exact copy on a single disc should be possible.

The drives will be able to burn regular write-once and rewritable DVDs and CDs as well.

The Sony and Philips drives will use somewhat different discs. Sony calls its variant DVD-R DL. The Philips equivalent is DVD+R DL. Both disc types should be readable in standard DVD drives and players.

Anyone else heard about these drives? I could really do with DVDs with over 8GB capacity. As I work with extremely large graphics and video files it'll be perfect for me.
Wed 24/03/04 at 18:42
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
it seems they are making it eisier to pirate, and make the pirates look good as well
Wed 24/03/04 at 16:17
Regular
"How Handy."
adrian wrote:
> Also another interesting thing is that some of the newer drives now
> will be able to do dual layer with a firmware upgrade. Pioneer are
> reported to have tested there 106 model with dual layer burning so
> the current 107 should work with the firmware as well. Philips have
> also tried firmware on there latest drives and are actually suppose
> to be releasing a official firmware for there drives.

Woohoo!

*hugs 106*

My DVD burner is one of the best things I've bought recently, very handy. Will these discs work in all the standard DVD players and stuff?
Mon 22/03/04 at 22:18
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Fooly Cooly wrote:
> Anyone else heard about these drives? I could really do with DVDs
> with over 8GB capacity. As I work with extremely large graphics and
> video files it'll be perfect for me.

Yeah months and months ago. Sony are the first ones to announce a drive and a price. Expect them here for at least £150 considering the Sony drive is suppose to retail at $299 US. I would say that it will be June/July before they start hitting our stores.

Also another interesting thing is that some of the newer drives now will be able to do dual layer with a firmware upgrade. Pioneer are reported to have tested there 106 model with dual layer burning so the current 107 should work with the firmware as well. Philips have also tried firmware on there latest drives and are actually suppose to be releasing a official firmware for there drives.

I have a old Sony U10A which is getting on to be 9 months old, cost £170 back in the day when DVD writers were closer to the £200 mark. I will upgrade to dual layer pretty much as soon as they are out depending on the price.
Mon 22/03/04 at 20:50
Regular
I was planning to get a DVD Burner this summer so I found this article on Yahoo! quite interesting.

If you just bought a DVD-burning drive for your computer and think that for once you're current with the latest and greatest, it's disappointment time. Manufacturers are soon launching drives that can store double the amount of data on a disc.

Sony Electronics says it will be shipping drives in about two months that accept blank DVDs with two data layers. Philips Electronics will start selling a similar drive in Europe in April, but is not saying when it will be available in the United States.

The write-once discs can store up to 8.5 gigabytes of data, or about 4 hours of DVD-quality movies, twice the capacity of regular blank DVDs. This means capacities for computer-burned DVDs are catching up with prerecorded movie DVDs, many of which are already dual-layer.

The new technology is sure to appeal to those who back up or copy movie DVDs, since they often have to reduce image quality or remove special features to fit a copied movie onto a single-layer disc. With a dual-layer drive, an exact copy on a single disc should be possible.

The drives will be able to burn regular write-once and rewritable DVDs and CDs as well.

The Sony and Philips drives will use somewhat different discs. Sony calls its variant DVD-R DL. The Philips equivalent is DVD+R DL. Both disc types should be readable in standard DVD drives and players.

Anyone else heard about these drives? I could really do with DVDs with over 8GB capacity. As I work with extremely large graphics and video files it'll be perfect for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.