GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Annoying black border"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/04/01 at 15:06
Regular
Last week i noticed what seems to be a problem affecting a nimber of ps2s. I have noticed that on the right hand side of the screen there is black border, it is only on the right hand side of the screen and not on the left. This border varies from about 0.5cm to about 1.5cm depending on the brightness of the image on the screen. This is particularly noticeable on Z.O.E. and MGS2, but is not noticeable in quake 3 thanks to a screen centering menu. The presence of this border also made me notice another interesting fact, the image displayed on the screen actually shrinks as it gets darker, and grows as it gets lighter. You may not of noticed as it looks like an effect that has been deliberatly used, but it is not. I have tried it on a number of televisions including a sony wega widscreen. I have already sent my console back to Sony but only to find that my replacement suffers from an identical problem. After having the problem with the second console i phoned sony again only to be told that both my mitsubushi tv and my sony widscreen were among many incompatible tvs with ps2. Is anyone having this problem or is it just me?
Sun 08/04/01 at 15:06
Last week i noticed what seems to be a problem affecting a nimber of ps2s. I have noticed that on the right hand side of the screen there is black border, it is only on the right hand side of the screen and not on the left. This border varies from about 0.5cm to about 1.5cm depending on the brightness of the image on the screen. This is particularly noticeable on Z.O.E. and MGS2, but is not noticeable in quake 3 thanks to a screen centering menu. The presence of this border also made me notice another interesting fact, the image displayed on the screen actually shrinks as it gets darker, and grows as it gets lighter. You may not of noticed as it looks like an effect that has been deliberatly used, but it is not. I have tried it on a number of televisions including a sony wega widscreen. I have already sent my console back to Sony but only to find that my replacement suffers from an identical problem. After having the problem with the second console i phoned sony again only to be told that both my mitsubushi tv and my sony widscreen were among many incompatible tvs with ps2. Is anyone having this problem or is it just me?
Sun 08/04/01 at 17:02
This problem was on the Psone as well!!!
Ive tried both consoles on loads of tvs and still with some games it happens.

All we can hope for is that more and more developers put screen centering options in the games, a 60hz options wouldnt go a miss either!!!!
Sun 08/04/01 at 17:02
This problem was on the Psone as well!!!
Ive tried both consoles on loads of tvs and still with some games it happens.

All we can hope for is that more and more developers put screen centering options in the games, a 60hz options wouldnt go a miss either!!!!

Sun 08/04/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I find that alot of consoles have this. I must admit I havent noticed it on Z.O.E but other games I have. SOme games have the screen centring which eliminates that problem but then others dont. It is annoying especially if their was import icons on screen e.g. a health bar that was in a corner and was cut off by a miss placed screen. Screen centreing should be a standard on all games now. As there are so many TV's out there and ways to connect the console to the TV that there is bound to be some type of miss centred screen for some one.
Sun 08/04/01 at 22:18
"High polygon count"
> The presence of this
> border also made me notice another interesting fact, the image
> displayed on the screen actually shrinks as it gets darker, and
> grows as it gets lighter.

This is common with all screens. Try setting your Windows background to black with no wallpaper; then open an Explorer window (which is predominantly white) and maximise it. Now keep a careful eye on the egdes of the screen and minimize/maximise the window a few times - you'll see you monitor does exactly the same.

Neither of the things you mention are actually faults with the console; the screen centring issue is common, and easily overcome with screen positioning options within games; why they aren't present in all titles, only the developers know!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.