GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is my CPU overheating?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/03/04 at 12:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Athlon XP 2600+ (2.08GHz) running with standard heatsink & fans on NF7-S board.

Recently, this thing has started overheating (to the point the alarm kicks in) if I leave it on for more than a couple of hours. I think the alarm is set at 70 celcius, so that's one hell of a lot hotter than this setup should ever reach.

Currently, I've just taken the precautions of having my window wide open next to the comp with the side of the case removed. This is helping a bit.

Currently, the board temp is 36 and the CPU temp is a steady 53. Safe enough to run, but still far hotter than it should be. I don't know why?

Both fans appear to be working fine, and I've never had any problems till the start of this week. Prior to that, the board would run at room temp (say 23-25 celcius) and the CPU at around 30 or so.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Fri 19/03/04 at 12:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Athlon XP 2600+ (2.08GHz) running with standard heatsink & fans on NF7-S board.

Recently, this thing has started overheating (to the point the alarm kicks in) if I leave it on for more than a couple of hours. I think the alarm is set at 70 celcius, so that's one hell of a lot hotter than this setup should ever reach.

Currently, I've just taken the precautions of having my window wide open next to the comp with the side of the case removed. This is helping a bit.

Currently, the board temp is 36 and the CPU temp is a steady 53. Safe enough to run, but still far hotter than it should be. I don't know why?

Both fans appear to be working fine, and I've never had any problems till the start of this week. Prior to that, the board would run at room temp (say 23-25 celcius) and the CPU at around 30 or so.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Fri 19/03/04 at 13:21
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Probable cause located... CPU fan is almost entirely clogged up with dust and crap.

So.... am I right to assume this is causing the problem, and what's the best way of cleaning it out? Air can or something?
Fri 19/03/04 at 14:31
"High polygon count"
I find that placing a scoop of vanilla ice cream over the fan works. Use a hairdryer to melt it, and as it runs off, it takes the dirt and other crap with it, due to its lovely thick consistency.

Failing that, an air can and some cotton buds will probably do the trick.
Fri 19/03/04 at 16:23
Regular
"Digging!"
Get a big soft kiddies paint brush and have a go at the heatsink and fan with that. Works on my system to get rid of the dust.
Fri 19/03/04 at 16:31
"I love yo... lamp."
Most likely the dust and stuff. It can slow down the fan, and dust on the heatsink reduces its ability to let heat out.

Also, unlikely, but make sure you haven't accidentally upped the voltage in the BIOS. More volts = more heat.
Fri 19/03/04 at 19:42
"LOLLERSKATES!"
umm...
Sat 20/03/04 at 11:20
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
<<>> wrote:
> umm...

The point of that was...?

And it's funny (well, not really) - our other computer, the one my parents use, had been overheating like hell all of a sudden for some reason. They took it to PC World and got it sorted out, and they collected it yesterday. It was crap though, they never told us what they thought was wrong or anything.
Ach well.
Sun 21/03/04 at 00:56
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I'd rather fix it myself than give it to PC World. Bunch of penis'
Sun 21/03/04 at 12:41
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I find that placing a scoop of vanilla ice cream over the fan works.
> Use a hairdryer to melt it, and as it runs off, it takes the dirt and
> other crap with it, due to its lovely thick consistency.

Are you serious???
Sun 21/03/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
GasMask wrote:
> I'd rather fix it myself than give it to PC World. Bunch of penis'

Agreed.
You don't even want to know how much it cost.
Trust me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.