GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now let us talk about Creation."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/03/04 at 11:07
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
F**k God, f**k him right in the ear. This thread is for discussing where we came from - none of the religious connotations or implications. Especially the Bible. F**k the Bible.

Ahem.

My theory is that the Universe is our creator. Everything we have comes from the fabric of the Universe. It's not a person, but it could be a living being. Or it could be nature - our word for things that just happen on their own - on an immensely large scale. We could be inside our creator, or we could be around or creator. Our creator might not exist within the boundaries of time, or it might travel through time, or it could be time itself and therefore exist at every moment in existance. Nobody could possibly know this. We may not be able to communicate with our creator, but if it is responsible for everything we have in nature, then we have made contact on some level.

Every planet could be a Petri dish that our creator has experimented with, until the right mixture of elements was found to sustain life and to allow it to evolve. We could be the first and only, or there could be others like us - just as successful, or even more successfully evolved. Whether our creator intended us to reach this stage in our evolution is unclear - we seem to be wiping ourselves out, so the experiment will eventually be deemed a failure. Or the Earth could be timed to self-destruct. Geological and astronomical reasons have been given for previous life to have died out and started again. Was this intentional? A scientist will sterilise a Petri dish before using it in another experiment.

Nobody knows for sure. We could have been created by beings from another planet for all we know, but then they have to ask themselves where they came from. We can replicate other Humans from skin cells and DNA, but we aren't at a level below atoms and molecules yet. That's what we're made up of, but where do they come from? It must have been some sort of intelligence, things just don't happen that way. Plants and trees aren't intelligent on our scale of thinking, but they've done a damn good job of flourishing without our help for millions and millions of years - even surviving whatever wiped out the Dinosaurs. They were designed and have evolved to adapt. But by who?

Could we have been our own creators? As soon as time travel is discovered, life as we know it will end. Humans will have the ability to be anywhere, at any time in the Universe, and they'll probably f**k it up somehow. They could even send back the right mixture of elements to start the Human race again, continuing and endless cycle of birth, death and renewal. It's natural for Humans to live by this cycle, it's happening to all of us, and is one of the few rules that we all abide to by default. If we were in such a dire situation in hundreds or thousands of years time, that the human race was on the brink of dying out, it would only seem natural to want to start the cycle over again. Whether our creator intended us to become our creator is also unknown, but it could be it's own undoing.

But there are many unanswerable questions. Where did our creator come from? How many Universies are there? Does that mean there is more than one creator for each Universe? It goes on. Make your own minds up, this is just an idea.
Fri 19/03/04 at 16:21
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I have always personally felt that the Petri dish theory is the only logical explanation there is. I don’t believe in one creator who determines our fate. I would rather believe every thing we know is just one atom of a tiny spec of dust flying round a universe just like our own. But it is just knowing if an atom in our world contains a whole universe if that is true the answer is flying past you eye right now. But where are we placed in this theory, are we at the top so everything in our universe is everything exists or are we at the bottom so our fate is determined by who just happens to bump in to our universe. But I think that we are placed in the middle of this cycle so we our selves are wiping out universes all the time. This still does not mean there is no god or over all creator but if my theory is true there is still the answer of were did everything come from there is no way we can just appear out of no where, there must be something that we have missed out that our brains our incapable of producing.
Fri 19/03/04 at 15:01
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nuns? Whips? Nunwhores!
Fri 19/03/04 at 14:59
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm waiting for the nuns to drag monkey_man out of his house and whip him in the street until he admits he is wrong.
Fri 19/03/04 at 13:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Like Pandemonium, I shall post when I have some more time. Right now histroy coursework is staring me in the face.

Well said about FF as well.

Toodle-oo!
Fri 19/03/04 at 13:40
Regular
"Tag This."
Aparently it can be proven mathematically that it is possible to randomly create the most basic strands of (unevolved) life in our ocean using only random movements of particles into the correct pattern. It can be shown that these life strands (DNA or RNA or something) can be randomly created in a year or so, so give this a few million years and we should definately have life evolving in the ocean. This seems to me to be the best explanation for life on this planet.
The only other good explanation to me is bacteria arriving on earth from an asteroid, which is also possible; although the bacteria itself would have to have evolved in an oceanic envoronment somewhere else anyway.

As for the universe, I currently go with the big bang theory although what caused it is still open to debate. Any ideas anyone?

Anyone heard of string theory as well? This seems to be a promising theory that is currently being investigated.
Fri 19/03/04 at 13:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Not a creator in the sense that someone created us - I meant that whatever happened that caused us to be here is our creator. Hope I made that clear.
Fri 19/03/04 at 13:24
Regular
"Tag This."
Light wrote:
> anyone has read The Science of the Discworld?

'Tis a cracking book. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Fri 19/03/04 at 12:12
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Or to put it another way, I'm not excluding the possibility of a creator. It's just that, now we're created, I don't think he/she/it's relevant.
Fri 19/03/04 at 12:10
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Can I suggest that if Forest Fan starts on with his religious b'lls'it
> that everybody ignore him? We've already argued theories with him and
> its plainly obvious he doesn't listen to suggestions or consider
> anything outside of the bible.

Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Personally, I believe we're here by sheer chance alone. Dunno if anyone has read The Science of the Discworld? It's perhaps the best science primer I've ever read and pretty much covers exactly what I think; namely that it could have been lizards, or insects, or shellfish, or octopi (scary things...) that are the #1 lifeform. It's down to random chance that we are.
Fri 19/03/04 at 11:24
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Can I suggest that if Forest Fan starts on with his religious b'lls'it that everybody ignore him? We've already argued theories with him and its plainly obvious he doesn't listen to suggestions or consider anything outside of the bible.

Monkey Man, I'll put my thoughts on the subject you've posted when I get a little more time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.