GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony announce Double-Density CD format. Good or Bad for Sega?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/07/00 at 18:46
Regular
News filtered into my Inbox this morning, announcing a collaboration between Sony and Philips, who aim to bring a Double-Density CD format which holds 1.3Gb per disc in September (http://www.dailyradar.com/news/game_news_3715.html). This isn't good news for Sega.

Now, the obvious for us to deliberate on would be the fact that it's going to make piracy MORE widespread for the Dreamcast. But, we've established elsewhere in the forum about piracy within the industry. So, instead, ask yourself this; Why would Sony take a step back and develop a higher capacity CD, when they can extend DVD capabilties? I mean, isn't DVD the wave of the future? And why announce it for September? Why now all of a sudden?

Paranoia? Could be!

Opinions?

B/leeders
Kill Piracy!
Sat 08/07/00 at 21:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I don't think the CD thing will influence Sega. The dics will most likely be for PC storage and other things, and certainly not the PS2 which uses DVDs and CDs. But a good question is why do this when DVDs are perfectly good. I think there will probably be some sort of advantage of these discs over DVDs. Firstly they are bigger than DVDs, and this is no doubt one advantage. Maybe the discs can be used in any CD-ROM drive- that would certainly be an advantage!

As for Sega's piracy issue, I don't think that this matters. These discs will be different from Sega's, which use their own compression and are copywrited. This means that the way to crack the discs is completely different to Sony's new discs.

By the way, there is good news on the piracy front. Sega found the 2 germans responsible for the pirated CDs and has had them arrested! This isn't the end of piracy on the Dreamcast as more hackers will follow, but it does show that hackers can be caught!

Rav
Sat 08/07/00 at 18:46
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
News filtered into my Inbox this morning, announcing a collaboration between Sony and Philips, who aim to bring a Double-Density CD format which holds 1.3Gb per disc in September (http://www.dailyradar.com/news/game_news_3715.html). This isn't good news for Sega.

Now, the obvious for us to deliberate on would be the fact that it's going to make piracy MORE widespread for the Dreamcast. But, we've established elsewhere in the forum about piracy within the industry. So, instead, ask yourself this; Why would Sony take a step back and develop a higher capacity CD, when they can extend DVD capabilties? I mean, isn't DVD the wave of the future? And why announce it for September? Why now all of a sudden?

Paranoia? Could be!

Opinions?

B/leeders
Kill Piracy!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.