GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WoW or FFXI"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Sun 03/04/05 at 16:33
Regular
ok ive never played a mmorpg b4 and i was wondering which one u would suggest to get me started
Tue 05/04/05 at 09:13
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> For FFXI it's : just type "Final Fantasy XI Strategy Guide"
> into a website named after a large river that sells alot of books,
> the URL is too long to include here.

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0744003687/qid=1112688723/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-5140225-7634230[/URL]

There's an Official one too, but it's going for £47.
Tue 05/04/05 at 04:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Biggest tip I can give you: get the strategy guide first for whichever title you decide on.

For WoW it's : [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/World_Of_Warcraft_2862_r.html[/URL]

For FFXI it's : just type "Final Fantasy XI Strategy Guide" into a website named after a large river that sells alot of books, the URL is too long to include here.

If it's your first MMORPG definitely go for World of Warcraft as it's very pick up and play, easy to get into, intuitive, and goes very easy on you (it doesn't have grinding for hours on end as one of its timesinks).

Most other MMORPGs have grinding involved (killing the same things over and over to gain XP) but having played FFXI for 8 months I can say it's one of the rare titles where the grinding (and endless farming to pay for new items) pays off, the high end content for high level characters is all there and worth going for.

Whilst both titles are excellent, I still veer towards FFXI due to its longevity, you can spend literally decades playing it and it is still getting new content added, whereas with WoW you can see all and do all there is within about 8 months in its current state. The other contributory factor in FFXI's favour is that there are hardly any bugs in the game, and if they do crop up following an update they are fixed within days.
Mon 04/04/05 at 00:53
Regular
"A man with a stick"
WoW, doesn't compare to the other MMORPG's I've played (which is admittedly very few).

First hour in Star War Galaxies was spent trying to figure out the confusing interface and masses of stat screens, even after the tutorial. First five minutes in WoW and I was already off on my first quest.

Everything has been simplified so that you spend more time playing the game instead of ar$ing about with poor game design. Not that I'm saying FFXI is like that, though I was put off by that game by the mammoth amount of CD's it came on and the amount of Hard Drive space it chews up.
Sun 03/04/05 at 18:03
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
WoW. Fun.

Grinding doesn't seem so much of a grind.
Sun 03/04/05 at 17:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
Plus if you WoW it up there are loads of people on here in the game so it would be a nice way to start, plus stories are funnier when its someone off here that gets screwed over by someone else on here.

Even though there are quite alot already a way along the game, there are a few starting when the new shipments of the game get in so that would be a good time to join.
Sun 03/04/05 at 16:40
Regular
WoW, by about 4 miles.
Sun 03/04/05 at 16:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
I haven't played FFXI but i would like to give it a try but i'm sure that WOW is better in general because i own it.

Infact i don't know anyone that has played FFXI strange.
Sun 03/04/05 at 16:33
Regular
ok ive never played a mmorpg b4 and i was wondering which one u would suggest to get me started

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.