GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Too much money"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/04/05 at 20:52
Regular
"Hello, Mr Freeman!"
I was reading the latest issue of PCZone, and come across the special report on how gamers spend their (real) money to purchase in-game items. I can't believe somebody spent over 13 thousand quid on a desert island in a game, and that there a people paying him to build on it.

I consider myself to be an average gamer. I'll play on a game about an hour or two here and there when I have the time. I buy computer magazines to keep me updated because a like to know what's coming out in the future. But I wouldn't even consider spending money to get an item in a computer game. A friend of mine spent 15 quid on the in-game currency in World of Warcraft. When he told me that, I must admit I wasn't too surprised as he spends a lot of time in front of his PC. Now, I am going to watch my mouth, as I expect that there are some people here who delve into their piggy bank to buy key items in games such as World of Warcraft. I know that there are people out there who love their games, but surely this is taking it way to far.

And the real question is, will this kind of thing get bigger in the future? Instead of thousands will it be millions? Will we see major franchises selling their goods in online games? (sounds stupid, I know, but it could happen).

How many people here spend real money for that special item, a level up or a better character?
Tue 05/04/05 at 04:18
Regular
"8==="
I got employed to build an imaginary house online so I could put imaginary food on my imaginary table.
Tue 05/04/05 at 04:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The G man wrote:
> I was reading the latest issue of PCZone, and come across the special
> report on how gamers spend their (real) money to purchase in-game
> items. I can't believe somebody spent over 13 thousand quid on a
> desert island in a game, and that there a people paying him to build
> on it.

Project Entropia is a special case in that the game allows players to buy and sell virtual items for real cash, that's what the whole concept of the game is about. It's also a special case in that players can actually treat their purchases as investments and make a profit from them, including Deathifier who is selling off and renting sections of the island that be bought (you can read about it here [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4104731.stm[/URL] )

Even though it might seem that the person with the biggest wallet can 'win', anyone with any budget can turn a profit in Project Entropia. (But as with life, the more money you have to invest the more potential profit you can make).

Most other games try to keep things as a level playing field and forbid real money trades for virtual items which the games' creators consider their intellectual property and theirs alone, not something that other players should be making a profit from. Otherwise those with the most money can win (and unfortunately frequently do).
Tue 05/04/05 at 03:42
Regular
"Captain to you."
I was talking to my housemate about this today and we were saying how bloody stupid it is that these people spend money on something ingame.

I see it as a true sign of someone that has no real life i play computer games a hell of a lot but i would never think of spending money on some in-game items.

I'll use my money to go to the pub or buy myself something pretty :D
Mon 04/04/05 at 21:45
Regular
"\\"
I got £10 for my Runescape account.

Never spent money for a game though.
Mon 04/04/05 at 21:18
Regular
I'd maybe buy my mate a pint for some gold on WoW, but I wouldn't go any further than that.
Mon 04/04/05 at 20:52
Regular
"Hello, Mr Freeman!"
I was reading the latest issue of PCZone, and come across the special report on how gamers spend their (real) money to purchase in-game items. I can't believe somebody spent over 13 thousand quid on a desert island in a game, and that there a people paying him to build on it.

I consider myself to be an average gamer. I'll play on a game about an hour or two here and there when I have the time. I buy computer magazines to keep me updated because a like to know what's coming out in the future. But I wouldn't even consider spending money to get an item in a computer game. A friend of mine spent 15 quid on the in-game currency in World of Warcraft. When he told me that, I must admit I wasn't too surprised as he spends a lot of time in front of his PC. Now, I am going to watch my mouth, as I expect that there are some people here who delve into their piggy bank to buy key items in games such as World of Warcraft. I know that there are people out there who love their games, but surely this is taking it way to far.

And the real question is, will this kind of thing get bigger in the future? Instead of thousands will it be millions? Will we see major franchises selling their goods in online games? (sounds stupid, I know, but it could happen).

How many people here spend real money for that special item, a level up or a better character?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.