GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sharing Broadband on Bluetooth?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/04 at 20:30
Regular
Basically my question is, can I share the connection using bluetooth, using some sort of bluetooth dongle, etc. Or, apart from some other sort of wireless networking card, is there another way to do it. Bearing in mind that It has a ceiling to go through and cables are a NO GO.

How would I share the connection? Is bluetooth an option?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...oduct_uid=43026

That's the bluetooth connector I'm looking at (wont get from ebuyer though).

Can I just get 2 of these, connect one to my desktop and the other to a laptop and share the net connection?

Dan.
Tue 16/03/04 at 16:55
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> I can manage 55KB/s over 5 feet with my bluetooth recievers. I
> wouldn't expect any more than that really.

What is the concept of Bluetooth, i have never looked into it.
Tue 16/03/04 at 07:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I can manage 55KB/s over 5 feet with my bluetooth recievers. I wouldn't expect any more than that really.
Mon 15/03/04 at 21:00
Regular
yeah, i am experienced. Have built 10+ PCs this year... lol. I have supplied networking equipment before, but never installed a network... i dont get it? lol.

Anyway, I will use the PCI Card as suggested and use a card in the laptop.

I am getting the £24.99 option from force9.net, very very good service.

Thnx for help :D
Mon 15/03/04 at 17:38
Regular
I was just giving a cheaper option which would involve opening up your PC. If you experienced with that kind of thing, buy the PCI Card.

James
Mon 15/03/04 at 07:55
Regular
o, rite I dont ;)
Mon 15/03/04 at 07:54
Regular
why do i need a dongle and a wireless networking card?

Dan.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:52
Regular
Wi-Fi transfer speed is either 11Mbps or 54Mbps depending on your budget. If you are on a tight budget then i recommend you buying:
1x USB Wireless Dongle 802.11b
-or-
1x USB Wireless PCI Card 802.11b - Generally cheaper than USB
-And-
1x PCMCIA Wireless Laptop Card 802.11b

Generally a:
USB Dongle is about 20-40 pounds.
PCI Card is about 20-30 pounds.
PCMCIA Card is about 30-49 pounds.

Shop around, generally the cheapest is not the best try and get a cheap and well known Computer Hardware manufacturer.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:45
Regular
Thats the thing with wires, I cant go and drill through the ceiling... i aint allowed... stoopid parents.

Fine, if WiFi is what I should get, can someone please tell me what it is I need to get and how much it will cost.

Ie, what do I need for the desktop and what for the laptop?

Bluetooth is about 1mb/s transfer init? so if Broadband is 500k, then it wont make speed problems.

Dan.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:40
Regular
I would have to agree and say Wi-Fi is the way to go, but using to USB Dongles of any sort for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is always hard, and the connection quality is generally poor.

If you have Windows XP, then you can easily share an internet connection. Using any other OS like Win ME, can be hard to share an internet connection and you would have to use some other software.

Your best option would be to buy a Wireless Access Point/Router and do it that way (Far better reliability/Connection Speeds). I am going to return my Wireless USB Dongle, and PCMCIA Card because it would be cheeper to use wires, and the connection speeds would be faster. Considering you only have a ceiling to go through isn't that bad, and you should leave your options open for Networking With wires.

James
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:39
Regular
i dont want wireless cos it will cost too much. I need a wireless card or router for my PC, then I'd need a wireless card for the laptop. Its just far too expensive.

I know you can share internet on the Mac OSX using bluetooth, but can you do it on Windows?

The systems are Win2k and WinXP. I am on the desktop and will be putting XP Pro on later in the week.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.