GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes me me?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/04 at 00:01
Regular
"Tag This."
So what makes me me? I ask this as we are fast approaching a time when no-one will actually die anymore. Lets start with some examples:

1) I play Eve-online (anyone else into this?). Its an MMOG based in space. I fly a ship about, occasionally into combat. If my ship gets destroyed I eject in an escape pod. If This gets destroyed, then I die. To prevent me from having to start a new charater from afresh, at the point of death my brain gets scanned by an implant which then transmits the data to a cloning facility. At this facility a new clone of me is waiting. The data is downloaded into the clone, which is then activated. I am alive again. Is this really me, or a copy of me?

2)A futureologist predicts that by the time my generation becomes old and starts to die, there will be the technology available to copy ourselves onto a computer so that we live on after our death. Is this me living on, or a facsimile of me in a computer simulation?

In essence, what is it that makes me me. Is it my brain functions, those neurons that fire off continuously, coupled with my memory and experiences, my personality traits and my intellect? Is there a soul, a part of the body that once dead, can never come back?

Consider these:
A) I die. You re-animate my body and brain. Do I live again, or has my soul departed and left a shell that is just reacting to stimulus like a computer?
B) I die, you take my brain out and plae it in a machine that can keep it alive, providing all the usual sensory input and allowing output. Am I alive again (has the 'soul' come with me), or is it as above, with the shell thing?
C) I die, copy to computer, blah blah, am I alive or not?

So what makes me me, as opposed to an exact copy? Is it a soul, or brain functions? Your thoughts please.
Wed 17/03/04 at 03:17
Regular
Tallan wrote:
> So what makes me me?

*read's er-no's story*

*ponders*

Nah, you wouldn't be able to get to a computer...

:^D
Tue 16/03/04 at 12:25
Regular
"Selected"
im you
Tue 16/03/04 at 09:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm not me, I'm somebody else, so I wouldn't know either way to any of the questions posed.
Sun 14/03/04 at 03:14
Regular
Heh, bit late at night for all the hard questions :^)

> Consider these:
A) I die. You re-animate my body and brain. Do I live again, or has my soul departed and left a shell that is just reacting to stimulus like a computer?

I think you live again.

B) I die, you take my brain out and plae it in a machine that can keep it alive, providing all the usual sensory input and allowing output. Am I alive again (has the 'soul' come with me), or is it as above, with the shell thing?

I'd say alive again.

No.

In my humble opinion, consciousness is tied to the physical presence of the brain. Copy the brain and you copy the person.
Reactivate the brain, and you reactivate the person. I'd guess the consciousness would experience it in a similar way to the temporary shut-down of blacking out or sleeping w/out dreams.

As for an eternal soul - well, we're always changing, aren't we? The me of yesterday is gone, and here I am instead. Just because the change occurs gradually doesn't necessarily make the result any less different.

Of course, there is the continuity of consciousness. Does this distinguish the change from the 'brain to computer sim' scenario?
It's tempting to say yes. I guess to say no, you have to decide that the you of yesterday is dead.

So in summary, I don't know :^)
Sun 14/03/04 at 00:29
Regular
"Tag This."
The computer simulation is designed to provide me with stimulus, so as to create the illusion that I have arms, legs, eyes, ears etc. After all, everything you interpret (or sense) is only electrical signals being passed to your brain from the input device. You touch a table, the nerve endings in your finger send signals to your brain which interprets you are touching something. Replace finger nerve endings with electrical circuit doing the same and you have the proposed simulation of me.
Sun 14/03/04 at 00:19
Regular
You'd be you... but I'm not sure if you'd be yourself.

I suppose the clone thingamy would be closets because you'd still have you limbs. I think just keeping the brain data would be more a record of you than actual you.

Sort of. :-)
Sun 14/03/04 at 00:01
Regular
"Tag This."
So what makes me me? I ask this as we are fast approaching a time when no-one will actually die anymore. Lets start with some examples:

1) I play Eve-online (anyone else into this?). Its an MMOG based in space. I fly a ship about, occasionally into combat. If my ship gets destroyed I eject in an escape pod. If This gets destroyed, then I die. To prevent me from having to start a new charater from afresh, at the point of death my brain gets scanned by an implant which then transmits the data to a cloning facility. At this facility a new clone of me is waiting. The data is downloaded into the clone, which is then activated. I am alive again. Is this really me, or a copy of me?

2)A futureologist predicts that by the time my generation becomes old and starts to die, there will be the technology available to copy ourselves onto a computer so that we live on after our death. Is this me living on, or a facsimile of me in a computer simulation?

In essence, what is it that makes me me. Is it my brain functions, those neurons that fire off continuously, coupled with my memory and experiences, my personality traits and my intellect? Is there a soul, a part of the body that once dead, can never come back?

Consider these:

So what makes me me, as opposed to an exact copy? Is it a soul, or brain functions? Your thoughts please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.