GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/01 at 20:50
Regular
I just finished watching the final episode of the latest series on channal 2, and it kicked bottom! And, inspired me to think up a game for the fun of it (nope, gameaday + Conkers Bad Fur Days release has nothing to do with it).
Here it goes....

GAMEPLAY
This may take some explaining....
A cross between Resident Evil, Tekkan, and Final Fantasy. You run around from Resisdent Evils ever-changing aptmospheric camera angles, solving the odd puzzle and playing through some stealthy bits untill combat starts (which will be often). When you go into a room populated by enemies the camera flicks around to sideways view a la Tekkan. You then control your character like a normal fighter, untill you press attack. When you press attack the action freezes and an attack menu pops up. You take your time choosing your attack, then the action continues, showing your attack in a stylish way (swingy-round cameras like the Matrix, rapidly changing views, quick X-ray vision views). If you are attacked, the action pause again, and you can choose to attempt to reverse the move with varying degrees of power, dodge the move, or try and block it. Each defence will be more effective against different types of move. For instance, punches will be best defended by blocking. Once the move has been done, you continue to fight untill either you or your opponents are killed. Yep, thats right, opponants. With this being on a next-gen machine, and the in game ability to take time to choose your moves, you will be fighting multiple enemies most of the time. The enemies will be weaker than you generaly, as the enemies are weaker than Buffy on the TV show. However, you will be put into tough one VS one battles against super strong enemies, like boss battles. Also, at the end of each battle, you can choose to watch a replay, which will be cool because of all the flashy camera-work. These will be saveable so you can show your friends how you beat 10 vampires AND a boss in one battle.
The game will be interlaced with LOTS of FMV sequences. There will be a srong storyline running throughout, as with Resident Evil. Unlike Resident Evil, the story will be split into episodes, like the TV series. The game will span 5 'series' (plus a special Anglel series), each containing 20 - 24 episodes, like the TV series. The plot will generally follow that on Tv, with a few added episodes that will just be killathons for fun. You will not be able to save mid-episode, like Goldeneye, thus adding an element of tension to the game. Also like Goldeneye there will be objectives you have to complete, like killing a certain baddie or planting a bomb. At the start of each episode there will be a FMV scene to enhance the storyline.
Another thing: during episodes control will switch between characters regualry. For example, Buffy and Riley will break into somewhere for some reason. You'll control Buffy up to a certain point, then it will switch to Riley. Sometimes characters will work together, with a vast array of double teams. At other times, battles will be fought simulaniously in different places.
Much more, but not enough space to fit it in.

SOUND
As mentioned before, all voices will be done by the proper cast. This will be accomponied by a rockin background soundtrack. It will be dynamic - during battles a fast paced tune will hit, in stealthy bits it will be slow and tension enhanceing, at other times maybe a cool rap sountrack will be on (maybe a walkman style systam?). During battle there will be authentic grunts of pain from the characters, and at other times they will pop the cheesey wisecracks the show is famous for.

CHARACTERS
Many. Starting with just Buffy, you go through the single player and unlock a huge cast of playable characters as they appear (if you don't know the TV program, skip this bit): Willow, Xander, Angel (good and evil versions, Faith, Adam, Riley, Spike, Drusilla, The Master, Johnathan (cool version), Anya, Cordilia, The Mayor, and pretty much ANYONE, good or bad, that has appered on the TV. Each will have thier own unique move list and powers, and a diiferent style of play will be needed for each. Many of these characters will only be contollabe in a couple of episodes, and so as to not waste all the effort put into them, a multiplayer mode will be needed.

MULTIPLAYER
This game will be the new Goldeneye. Maybe. A huge list a characters, many different dynamic battle stages (can swing on overhead wires, knock people off edges, tear a barrier apart to make a weapon) and some great gameplay. 4 way battles and many match types like wrestling games - four way eliminations, weapons matches, finisher matches, hey maybe evan a Hell in the Cell? Another great feature will be something I feel a lot of games lack - a DECENT 2-4 player co-op. They will be a series of battles against ever stronger opponents, and you and your mate will have to team up. The final match will be your team of 4 against Adam, the super cyborg guy. Imagine the camiradarie!

Well, its getting late, and I think just that little lot would make a innovitive a brilliant game.

Thanx for reading if you made it this far.

Jagged Little Pill (aka Mouldy Cheese)

Sun 24/06/01 at 10:11
I think that game would be good.
Thu 14/06/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
residentevilfan wrote:
> A Buffy PS2 game is already in the making!!!!!

already covered man :)
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:35
Regular
"Back For Good"
A Buffy PS2 game is already in the making!!!!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 13:42
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Wonderboy wrote:
And the film had a character
> called Pike, played by Luke Perry. The TV show had Zander. A zander
> is a smaller version of the pike.

And honestly who would make a
> better teacher/guardian or whatever they call them, Donald
> Sutherland or some bloke that used to do coffee ads?

The film was, just a vehicle for Luke Perry... since teenage girls across America, were, at the time, swooning over his efforts in Beverly Hills 90210 ...

Although, I'm ot a big fan of Buffy, but I have been lead to believe that Buffy wasnt initally considered a good enough program to air... so much so, that it only got transmitted in the first place after the initial program choice was canned in the states?
Fri 08/06/01 at 09:25
Edgy wrote:
> I've never seen the film....is any of the series cast in it?

No. The film precedes the TV series by a good few years. It was funny, it didn't have any of the over the top serious nonsense that the TV show dwells on.

And the film had a character called Pike, played by Luke Perry. The TV show had Zander. A zander is a smaller version of the pike.

And honestly who would make a better teacher/guardian or whatever they call them, Donald Sutherland or some bloke that used to do coffee ads?
Fri 08/06/01 at 09:18
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Although the GBC version has been out for a bit now...

The PC and Console version of the Buffy game have been in development for a good few years...

To be released sometime this year I think?
Fri 18/05/01 at 22:31
The film was cheesy and poor, Buffy series with sarah michell is ace! Angel is great too!
Sun 13/05/01 at 11:16
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
antigooner wrote:
> TV to console conversions are a rareity.It normally happens the
> other way round, e.g. Mario brothers.This sort of game would sell
> loads of copies based purely on the title alone.Im sure all the
> buffy freaks out there have already started pre-ordering their
> copies.If the game was actually made so that it was good as well,
> then im sure it would be a high selling game.I myself would not go
> out and buy the game as I do not watch the series, but I am assured
> it has an avid following.I fully support anyone who decides to go
> ahead and design and make this game. Im sure there will also be a
> couple of sequels in the running.If anyone passes up the opportunity
> to make this game, they would be a fool.So any passing game
> designers, contact the person who created this topic, and arrange a
> deal.Everyone shud make a lot of money from this game.

I think the part about me making a deal with a games compony is a great idea. And the part about everyone making a lot of money from it.
Fri 11/05/01 at 23:37
what i meant was good tv to game conversions. obviously im not as much as a freak as you and dont spend 100% of my free time playing crap games like pokemon. being a pokemon master is nothing to be proud of you fool.pokemon is sh**.get a life, a better tagname and some friends. and stop being so damn edgy before i have to point out more of your geekish qualities.you cok!
Fri 11/05/01 at 19:43
Regular
antigooner wrote:
> TV to console conversions are a rareity.

I know! You very rarely see games like Star Wars, Aliens, Predator, Fifth Element, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Cobra, Rambo, etc as video games do you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.