GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The price of decent software!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/03/04 at 22:17
Regular
"No Way"
One thing really annoys me and that is, the price of decent software. Lots of the very useful software is very expensive and if, like me you will probably never be able to afford them there is no alternative than to just not get them, or get another, medicore one. I do agree that the amount of hours of programmers skill and time has gone into these apps but I still think that however good the app, paying £600 ($1000) is way too much for any one piece of software. (Take note adobe and macromedia). I think that getting people to enjoy the apps is just as important as making a good app. Maybe its just me but I think alot of people would be able to do so much more with their computers if they didnt have to spend at least £300 every time they wanted a decent piece of software. Even really crappy software is coming out now at £50 ($85).
If just one company were to release a decently priced, very good application then I think the market could be so much bigger.
Please reply with your views.

Yours, Mk*
Thu 11/03/04 at 22:17
Regular
"No Way"
One thing really annoys me and that is, the price of decent software. Lots of the very useful software is very expensive and if, like me you will probably never be able to afford them there is no alternative than to just not get them, or get another, medicore one. I do agree that the amount of hours of programmers skill and time has gone into these apps but I still think that however good the app, paying £600 ($1000) is way too much for any one piece of software. (Take note adobe and macromedia). I think that getting people to enjoy the apps is just as important as making a good app. Maybe its just me but I think alot of people would be able to do so much more with their computers if they didnt have to spend at least £300 every time they wanted a decent piece of software. Even really crappy software is coming out now at £50 ($85).
If just one company were to release a decently priced, very good application then I think the market could be so much bigger.
Please reply with your views.

Yours, Mk*
Thu 11/03/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Drinks Sunny Deligh"
Well, Pant Shop Pro is a viable alternative to Photoshop; GIMP is also very powerful, and it's free.

There are flash tools such as Swish which are far cheaper than Flash.

You'll find that for every expensive piece of software there is a legal, cheap or free alternative which is usually more than enough for home use.
Thu 11/03/04 at 23:42
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Well, Pant Shop Pro

Another genius typo; up there with Starfio's Freedom Fighters attempt ;)
Thu 11/03/04 at 23:44
"I love yo... lamp."
Have you ever tried installing the older versions? Pant Shop Pro is a perfect term for it!
Thu 11/03/04 at 23:45
Regular
Heh! Maybe indirectly although I never tend to bother with software like that, standard "Pant" ;) does the job for me.
Fri 12/03/04 at 12:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
darkfire wrote:
> If just one company were to release a decently priced, very good
> application then I think the market could be so much bigger.

Are you not including in this all the free software available on the web? Adobe charge so much for Photoshop because they can - whole industries live off the back of Photoshop, so why shouldn't they pay for it? The software sold by my girlfriends company starts at £30,000 and goes up to half a million quid - if your business is big and depends on that software, then you WILL pay that. £100 for a Windows license or £600 for Adobe Photoshop is a pittance to large companies that need that software to do business. Photoshop is not really consumer-level software.
Fri 12/03/04 at 14:10
Regular
GIMP.

GNU Image Manipulation Program.

www.gimp.org ([URL]http://www.gimp.org/[/URL])
Fri 12/03/04 at 18:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Miserableman wrote:
> The software sold by my girlfriends company starts at
> £30,000 and goes up to half a million quid

She doesn't work for Tridion by any chance? Now they're expensive. We use their CMS solution "Tridion Dialogue Server" which cost us £250,000 per site licence per year! Currently thy're making £2,000,000pa out of us just to use the damn thing!
Fri 12/03/04 at 19:28
Regular
"Drinks Sunny Deligh"
That's tough, the money making GIMPs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.