GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hype is bad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/01 at 19:27
Regular
Look at the PS2. It hasn't done anything special apart fom some fancy graphics and having a average DVD player. Why then is it the most wanted game console around?

Its because of hype. Before people had even seen the PS2 they thought it was the best thing ever because of all the hype the heard. Its like the old saying 'don't judge a book by it cover' the same goes for consoles. Don't judge a console by how many polygons it can muster or how much more powerful it will be. Its not important. Because of all the news people heard about the PS2 they straight away overlooked the Dreamcast, not giving it a chance.

A little hype is good, but too much can be bad for gamers.
I blame all the hype around the PS2 launch for the Dreamcast being dumped.

Whats your views on too much hype around consoles and games?
Thu 05/04/01 at 19:27
Look at the PS2. It hasn't done anything special apart fom some fancy graphics and having a average DVD player. Why then is it the most wanted game console around?

Its because of hype. Before people had even seen the PS2 they thought it was the best thing ever because of all the hype the heard. Its like the old saying 'don't judge a book by it cover' the same goes for consoles. Don't judge a console by how many polygons it can muster or how much more powerful it will be. Its not important. Because of all the news people heard about the PS2 they straight away overlooked the Dreamcast, not giving it a chance.

A little hype is good, but too much can be bad for gamers.
I blame all the hype around the PS2 launch for the Dreamcast being dumped.

Whats your views on too much hype around consoles and games?
Thu 05/04/01 at 19:29
Regular
PS2 no........Sega messed up.
Thu 05/04/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
DC was 'underhyped' if anything. I don't recall ever having seen a television ad for the DC console itself, but then my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

PS2 was well overhyped, even the mainstream press picked up on the fervour around release day 1, but then lost interest in the story, and it's been left to the games press to pick up the pieces of the launch fiasco.

N64 always managed to present it's games adverts in a sensible way, they showed gamers what they would be getting if they bought a particular game.

More and more though, the television advertising has been tailing off and popping up intermittently on some of the more obscure satellite channels, so gaming and consoles don't get as much mainstream attention as they used too.

Hype is good for sales, but occaisionally bad for gamers when the fever pitch starts to go out of control. In the main, I'd say hype is a good thing. Good for the industry because it promotes awareness of a product, and good for gamers because it bring products to our attention that we may otherwise not have bothered with. e.g. Black and White.

Thu 05/04/01 at 19:57
sniper wrote:
> sega messed up

errrrrrrrrr...wrong
you cant blame a console for not addvertising if they aint got the cash. Sega done everything right. Great games, great console, great internet service...but no interest because of the PS2s hype. Nuff said.
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:03
i totally agree. hence the name do you like eminem?
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:06
Regular
They messed up because of the debts they made from the saturn as well.
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:07
Fantasymiester
wrote:
> hype is good

Hype IS good if its well diserved. But you have to admit the hype for PS2 far too much. I dont mind if a game like B&W gets loads of hype becaus at least it MENT to be amazin.
But i wont be able to play it coz my PC is real crappy and old. Hope its still comin out for the DC eh?
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:30
he catches of hype.
The hype in the gaming world is starting to get out of hand, with companies broadcasting adverts on television and in magazines websites etc. They give a massive build up top the game or console and then might delay it a month for suspense and by then you are dying to get it and when you do it is average and is not always the most played game in the collection you have. If something is hyped up and everyone is set to buy a copy, even 2 maybe and after you receive the product and realize it was a mistake and you should have actually read a review or played a demo you have to tell your parents who have just spent £50 on a game it is really good and smile secretly thinking help me.
The situation has not aroused for me but some games are absolute crap but still hyped up and it is a con. The gaming world should be about getting quality games for a small price and playing for months. Look at the psx it has so may awful low budget games and after a promise from Sony there would be no more for the ps2 but just look at WDL thunder tanks, not really up to standards of the decent ps2 it looks rather shabby to say the least. The hype must cost companies a heck of a lot of money like £50,000 for 30 seconds and how many times have I seen the pkmn gold and silver advert on sky one?
Benefits
The benefits from this is that u get sales guaranteed and the adverts do make a lot of difference and have some ace pics of the game on not just vid clips which sometimes I get sick of as I want to see the graphics used to play with and not the FMV sequences.
The companies have to make sure that thee game they choose to release is quality like the build up to mgs2 will be massive and rightfully so and I don’t think (unless there is a bug in it) there will be no false advertising or to hyped because the game is gonna be sweet and it is a fact. So is hype a good thing I think overall no as gaming used to be just pure simple gaming and as it evolves along comes a big down side known as the hype and price of today’s gaming world.

As FM said the dc had no hype what so ever and deserved more most people thought the Saturn is crud so is the dc and that was that, but now wot do they think as the dc games are coming to the ps2. Haah. But the dc is the best wooo!!

Time warp
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:44
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
PS2 wasn't just hyped.......it was OVERHYPED. Immensely. And it is poo.

OK I'm finished now.
Thu 05/04/01 at 20:47
tis not all dat bad

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.