GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Excel download"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/11/06 at 17:02
Regular
"just asking"
Hi everyone,

can anyone tell me why a 3.20MB excel work book will not open from a webpage link but can be downloaded then viewed?

Thanks.
Thu 09/11/06 at 17:02
Regular
"just asking"
Hi everyone,

can anyone tell me why a 3.20MB excel work book will not open from a webpage link but can be downloaded then viewed?

Thanks.
Fri 10/11/06 at 11:14
"Are you sure?"
If you are trying to embed the Excel document into a web page, then I guess you may be having problems due to the size. 3.2mb is rather large to open as a web page, I'm guessing you may have hit some sort of maximum size restriction. Or perhaps you didn't wait long enough for the page to download.

Can you show the code/page?

It would also be worth trying a small Excel document (i.e. under 100k) to see if that works.
Sat 11/11/06 at 10:09
Regular
"just asking"
Hi, thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated. The work book is linked from a webpage so people can either look at it (open) it on line or download it and save for later. What is the size limit on Freeola? this is where the work book is stored.
Although, when you click the link, the download picture (Open, Save, Cancel) appears and it may just be that it will take time to download but the funny thing is, I had this working up until my last update which was only a change of twxt in the work book.....

Is there any other way to speed up a download or view it easier whilst on line?

Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate your help.

Regards.
Sat 11/11/06 at 11:53
Regular
Saving it as a .txt file would reduce the file size greatly, although it wouldn't look anywhere near as good. To actually open the Excel file on your web-site it will need to be downloaded fully in the cache / temporary Internet files before it is viewed, the same way you have to download the file before opening / viewing it... so, in theory it should take the same amount of time to do both.

If you or your visitors / users cannot view the file, are you sure you / they have the correct software to run the file and in the web browser?
Sat 11/11/06 at 14:09
Regular
"just asking"
Hi, thank you for your prompt reply to my question. I have tried saving it as a .txt but it is exactly the same file size. What am I doing wrong?

I will try to zip it and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Sat 11/11/06 at 14:53
Regular
All of my Excel files reduce in size when saved as a .txt file. Does your spreadsheet include calculations / formulas that your visitors need to use / see or is it just you that needs to do the calculations?

What is the url of the spreadsheet?
Sat 11/11/06 at 21:53
Regular
"just asking"
Hi, I have sorted it out now, read this......
A friend who I made this site for emails the work book to me weekly, I upload it for his friends to use. The work book comes to me at 3.2MB. Today, I copied each page in to a new workbook just to see if the size will reduce any and it did....to 1.7MB, why is that?

I tried the .txt again with no joy, what format do you select in the "Save as type" box please?

The calculations are only for totalling up figures and they are simple formulas.

The url is not available as the person I made the page for only wants his customers to visit by invitation and that's his request (Sorry)
Sun 12/11/06 at 09:38
"Are you sure?"
In Excel, choose SAVE AS then change the filetype to .txt
Accept the warnings about loosing Excel functions etc...
Sun 12/11/06 at 09:48
Regular
"just asking"
Hi, well to be honest, & I mean totally honest, that's what I thought but that option does not appear in the dropdown section. Anyhow, not to worry as I need the calculations to work even if the sheet is just opened or saved off line.

Just like to say "Thank you" for everyone's input, this is a great advantage to have such a good forum, just hope I can put some help back in in the future.

Regards to all.
Sun 12/11/06 at 11:23
Regular
I think the original file was a lot bigger because there is an option (I know there is in Word anyway) to save all changes, like an undo list - this increases the file size. If this is turned off the file size shouldn't really increase... that's if there is such thing in Excel.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.