GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeserve Unlimited Time Tip, Stay Well Away!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/04/01 at 22:54
Regular
ARRR yes the internet, well now 90% of the UK public have access to the internet one way or the other, but a question I have been asked many times is what ISP (internet Service Provider) should I use, and I for one am sick and tired of all these adverts on TV for AOL, BT, Freeserve etc.
AOL says on their advert, ‘Number 1 for the internet’ is this true?? Because am I mistaken but on all the Freeserve adverts it says (surprise, surprise) ‘Number 1 for the internet’ WHAT IS GOING ON????
BT are not much better, all their adverts show quick easy access with no problems, (great just what we want) but no, and I speak from experience, when I tried to logg on what did I get ‘the telephone network is busy at the moment’ FOR 2 WHOLE HOURS!!!!! And well let’s just say I left BT there and then.
So on to the Title, Freeserve, now after that little event with BT I subscribed to Freeserve Unlimited time (which now thank god has finished)
So the thought of 24 hour internet access for only £10 a month was boss, but boy was I in for a shock, here is just a short list of things that went wrong.

1: I had very important homework to do and i needed to get some info off the net, so their i was dialing up Freeserve to go on the net (i thought anyway)i tried 100+ times to logg on but what did i get; Mrs BT Woman with her 'the telephone network is busy at the moment' so it was now 10:00pm i had been trying to go on since 6:30pm, I thought well i will ring Freeserve, so i did, and their responce, we are currently very busy because we have so many users, if you continue to try and connect im sure you will get on, and after anougher 28 times, at last we got on only to find out we were connected at 28,000 bsp, and since i have a 56K modem thats damm rubbish.
To finish it all off, after 2 minutes online it disconnected! what a fine evening i had.
And that leeds me onto me next point;

2: Freeserve say you should stay online for 2 hours WHEN you do get connected, but lets just say you are lucky if you stay on for 1 hour.

3: The Connection speed is not to good either, i have a 56K as i said before, but i can only get on between 33,333 and 48,000bps and if i am lucky 49,333bps

So my tip for anyone thinking about the internet, stay away from Freeserve!!

Thanks for reading

Danny
Wed 13/06/01 at 20:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hnmmmm... are there any good ISPs in this country at all???

Sonic
Wed 13/06/01 at 14:02
Regular
I get what my dad pays for, I have a Blueyonder cable modem also, and it rocks, pings of 30-40 on games, what more could you want??
Wed 13/06/01 at 14:01
I had freeserve for years without a single problem. I can't honestly comment on the service they provide today as I switched to Blue-yonder some time ago.

I now have broadband though Blue-yonder and haven't looked back. 24-7 connection, always on, 30mb web space and all for £25 month.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/ check em out...

My tip for anyone interested in getting the most out of the internet is this : You get what you PAY for !
Wed 13/06/01 at 07:27
Just a note. The speed you were referring to (i.e. 49,333 etc) is not the speed of your connection to the internet, but the data transfer speed between the computer and the modem. Confused? Basically if you want to find out your internet connection speed, start a download, and multiply the value there (i.e. 2.3kbps) by 1024, to get the speed in comparative terms to your modem<->computer speed. Now I'm confused!
Sat 07/04/01 at 15:50
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Bad luck, as soon as I posted that Freeserve were good, they messed up, takes me ages to connect now,
Thu 05/04/01 at 22:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just thought I'd add that I use Freeserve Off-Peak, £5.99 a month, and that seems to work fine for me, a couple of times I get cut off, but I generally connect first time round, maybe you should try that package.
Wed 04/04/01 at 22:54
ARRR yes the internet, well now 90% of the UK public have access to the internet one way or the other, but a question I have been asked many times is what ISP (internet Service Provider) should I use, and I for one am sick and tired of all these adverts on TV for AOL, BT, Freeserve etc.
AOL says on their advert, ‘Number 1 for the internet’ is this true?? Because am I mistaken but on all the Freeserve adverts it says (surprise, surprise) ‘Number 1 for the internet’ WHAT IS GOING ON????
BT are not much better, all their adverts show quick easy access with no problems, (great just what we want) but no, and I speak from experience, when I tried to logg on what did I get ‘the telephone network is busy at the moment’ FOR 2 WHOLE HOURS!!!!! And well let’s just say I left BT there and then.
So on to the Title, Freeserve, now after that little event with BT I subscribed to Freeserve Unlimited time (which now thank god has finished)
So the thought of 24 hour internet access for only £10 a month was boss, but boy was I in for a shock, here is just a short list of things that went wrong.

1: I had very important homework to do and i needed to get some info off the net, so their i was dialing up Freeserve to go on the net (i thought anyway)i tried 100+ times to logg on but what did i get; Mrs BT Woman with her 'the telephone network is busy at the moment' so it was now 10:00pm i had been trying to go on since 6:30pm, I thought well i will ring Freeserve, so i did, and their responce, we are currently very busy because we have so many users, if you continue to try and connect im sure you will get on, and after anougher 28 times, at last we got on only to find out we were connected at 28,000 bsp, and since i have a 56K modem thats damm rubbish.
To finish it all off, after 2 minutes online it disconnected! what a fine evening i had.
And that leeds me onto me next point;

2: Freeserve say you should stay online for 2 hours WHEN you do get connected, but lets just say you are lucky if you stay on for 1 hour.

3: The Connection speed is not to good either, i have a 56K as i said before, but i can only get on between 33,333 and 48,000bps and if i am lucky 49,333bps

So my tip for anyone thinking about the internet, stay away from Freeserve!!

Thanks for reading

Danny

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.