GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stupid bare-bones UK dvd releases."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/03/04 at 12:12
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
How many times have you bought a dvd, struggled to open the plastic wrapping, and opened the case only to be greeted with the sight of a dvd sitting inside, but nothing else? No booklet, not even a piece of paper with the chapter list.
It’s starting to annoy me more and more; other countries get cool freebies, packaging and extras, whilst we get sod all.

Examples:

The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions: Only a small thing, but the region 2 packaging is flimsy thin shiny card, whilst the region 1 versions have strong sturdy textured board, creating a sturdy heavy book feel, and overall much better presentation. I own the region 2 version of The Fellowship and the region 1 version of Two Towers, and there’s no competition as to which is the better box.

Various anime: In America, numerous anime series are released, and with the first volume of the series, you can pay a little extra to get a cool box to keep the rest of the series in. Some series even give away toys, CD soundtracks, mouse mats, t-shirts, shot glasses, reproduced production cells and all kinds of other stuff. In the UK? We get hardly any series anyway, but the ones that do come out don’t get any free stuff with them.

And how about this for a boxset: [URL]http://www.otaku.co.uk/cgi-bin/itemview.asp?itemid=63107v[/URL]

You get a ceramic figure, another different model, a cloth case for the dvd and a piece of framed artwork. Expensive but rather cool.

Kill Bill: Whilst on my Internet travels I saw the Japanese limited edition version. You get a 24-page colour booklet, a T-shirt, a Hattori Hanzo 1/10 scale model sword and a "Murder Bride Version" Bearbrick (whatever that is). It costs a bit and the film is rubbish, but it’s that sort of thing that’s just cool.

What cool dvd releases have there been in this country? The only one I can think of is that Evil Dead Book of the Dead rubber case. We get the usual series or film boxsets and all, but where are the great limited edition things? The gimmicky freebies? The rare limited edition boxsets laden with gifts? Compared to the American or Japanese markets, our dvd releases are pretty damn poor.

Should we get more cool releases? Would people want to pay a bit more to get these cool releases? Or do people just want a minimum bare-bones release of a dvd case with just a disc inside and nothing else?
I know which I prefer.
Sun 07/03/04 at 22:22
Regular
Perhaps there should be several DVD versions

1. Just the film
2. Film and a few extras
3. Limited Edition DVD with lots of cool things

I havent seen many like the Donnie Darko Prism Edition. I think everyone knows that the DVD they hold in their hand cost less than 50p to make (if even that - I know the cases can cost as little as 6p each) yet DVDs still retail for £19.99.

Anyone think the prices will fall? Preferably to the same retail price of a VHS which is £14.99 I believe.

I'm still not sure which people prefer, same price more features or cheaper price no features. I suppose it's good to atleast have the option, although play.com are only selling the prism edition of donnie darko now.

What's the difference between Donnie Darko without features and Donnie Darko with features? A saving of £14 exactly on the RRP. Are features really worth that much to you.
Fri 05/03/04 at 17:33
Regular
I'm not really a DVD buying fan, but I know what this guy means, Us Brits get anally shafted every single time on things like this.

Its not just limited to DVD's either, it happens all the time with games, music and even bloody books.
Fri 05/03/04 at 16:19
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
That Kill Bill boxset with the Hattori letter opener was for PAL?
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I'll need to get around to buying the Argonath. They go for silly money on ebay though, usually about £25+
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:36
You mean an ultimate, "all in one" Lord of the Rings? Yeah, probably. And then an extended version of that, with all the poly figures (statues, Gollum and RotK one) and both 2 EA games and a chunk of "New Zealand as Middle Earth". Now that would be cool.
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:31
Regular
"Milky Milky"
I'm waiting for the LOTR boxset...I don't know if there are any plans for one...but let's face it..they are bound to do one, aren't they?
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I never even knew that the LOTR dvd's had different packaging.

I may look into getting a region 1 version of ROTK.
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:24
Regular
"Milky Milky"
I don't really care too much about extras...It's nice to have them sometimes, but how often do you ever look at them? I maybe view them once and then never ever look at them again....having said that...when there is a choice I always end up buying the version with extras!
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:16
Regular
I like to get a booklet with my DVD, but I resent paying loads of cash just for loads of extras I'll never watch.
Fri 05/03/04 at 13:14
"slightlyshortertagl"
unknown kernel wrote:
> Since when have we been able to do hyperlinks?

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=96339&forumid=4006[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.