GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In-game advertising - Dangerous?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/04/05 at 22:37
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
From their inception, videogames have always borne the ostensibly sole function of entertainment. A leisure activity. But as with most media, they have gradually succumbed to interpretation as a vehicle to convey the beliefs, statements and advertisements of those who wish to communicate their message to a wider audience. From political issues, religious proclamations and general protestations, right down to bigoted racist and nationalistic propaganda, certain games have been developed specifically as a mouthpiece for individuals who wish to publicise their opinions.

I consider this to be a potentially dangerous channel of imparting information, as the focus of the material presented is not always obvious. Young children in particular would little recognise the subtle undertones of something as seemingly innocuous as a colourful computer game. For a hypothetical example, a game where a heroic Bush has to combat a vilified Kerry super-villain might give many of its players a subliminal bias towards Bush.

I see this becoming the next hotspot for politicos. Recruit the kids at a young age. I think it will always be veiled, but indoctrination will hit on a large scale once these politicians stop bashing games and start using them.

A political game I discovered recently was President Forever, a realistic simulation of the presidential campaign between Bush and Kerry. You are tasked with giving a position on salient world issues such as terrorism and immigration, and running your own electoral campaigns. Interestingly, there are also several tactical options to increase your chance of winning, not least the ability to unleash foot soldiers to stop your opponents. The game is currently politically neutral, but it shows how easy it would be to create a brutal piece of gaming rhetoric to assault a political faction.

In a more mainstream interpretation of this issue, large companies are now advertising within games like any other form of media. Just as adverts and promotional hoardings invade every part of our life, so too videogames are becoming a popular addition to the list, publicising real world brands and products throughout their various virtual environs.

So long as advertisement agencies give the job to someone who can build a great game around the franchise then it’s all good. However, if these agencies expect the game developers to knock out another shooter just so they can slap the logo on a game, that’s going to severely affect the game’s quality.

I also worry about games that utilise various different brands within one title. All games naturally appreciate extra funding, but the problem arises when the in-game advertising actually starts having an influential effect upon the creation of the game.

Giving any sort of directional control to advertisers could very easily turn sour, even if the demanded changes were purely aesthetic. If Adidas insisted that every game character wear Adidas footwear, it could severely hamper both the visual style and credibility of a title. This also brings us to the dilemma of whether the advertising suits the game.

A Star Wars game where the characters wear Adidas trainers, drink Coca Cola in the taverns, and walk past Duracell hoardings just isn’t going to wash. In-game promotion has to fit in with the title’s setting otherwise the game will suffer. Advertising is really a barbed blessing. The age-old tradition of exchanging money for publicity works well for both parties, so long as the promoters don’t try and foist unreasonable demands upon the developers.

I reckon the actual impact that future brand marketing will have upon upcoming generations of games is primarily the fact that the supplementary developer income allows for a longer development period, which gives the potential for a higher quality game. The dangers are there, but if these can be successfully negotiated then advertising is a mutually beneficial concept.

For better or for worse, advertising has become an integral part of our gaming life, and it’s here to stay!
Thu 14/04/05 at 00:58
Regular
"8==="
I always thought the terrorists looked much cooler in Counter-Strike. :)
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:55
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
An army pamphlet has a clear message. Games sometimes do not...
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:47
Regular
"8==="
Weak-minded users would be swayed by an army pamphlet. :D
Wed 13/04/05 at 14:54
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Hedfix wrote:

> I think most intelligent people react to overdoses of certain
> viewpoints. When I was younger we were to sing hymns everyday at
> school in assembly. Far from making me want to go to church every
> sunday it has led to me having an instant distrust for thosesort of
> things.
>
> Propaganda cuts both ways. It can turn as many against it's cause as
> it turns for it.

Aye, certainly. But I was discussing ways in which propaganda is hidden under the guise of something enjoyable. Things that are hidden within a seemingly innocuous yet enjoyable shell, but can have a subliminal effect on the more weak-minded users.
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:49
Regular
"Captain to you."
Hedfix wrote:
> That would be an honourable way to do things.
>
> Honour is fake though.
>
> The British always like to talk about honour but they're quite happy
> to have the longer range weapons and blast the crap out of American
> revolutionaries and Argentinean fleets.

Yeah we would probably take throwing knives and regular ones.

I mean my war style to be used for all conflict for every country, it would save alot of hassle and mean we only need the guns and stuff if the club doesn't sort out the alien.
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:18
Regular
"8==="
That would be an honourable way to do things.

Honour is fake though.

The British always like to talk about honour but they're quite happy to have the longer range weapons and blast the crap out of American revolutionaries and Argentinean fleets.
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:10
Regular
"Captain to you."
Hedfix wrote:
> Heh.
>
> I totally pwned you and your country nOOb!

Hehe although i don't know what we would do about every yelling HAX over the voice chat or typing it everytime they die.

Or i think the 2 oposeing(SP?) countries should pick 100 people strongest, fastest or whatever and then send them out in the desert with knives to fight and the country with some one alive after 2 days wins, and class that as the war.
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:05
Regular
"8==="
Heh.

I totally pwned you and your country nOOb!
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:03
Regular
"Captain to you."
Hedfix wrote:
> The best adverts have always been in the Duke Nukem games. That's a
> franchise that needs to hurry back.

Yeah when Duke Nukem Forever comes out i'll get my children to tell me what it's like.

I think they should put political messages in games if it fits the game well enough if not just have all the messages from all the partys in the game at some point.

They could have an MMOFPS/RPG shootie game where you are asked about your opinions if we should invade the next arab place (iran) most likely, and if more people choose yes the game changes so that people are on either side fighting for the real control of countries, This way no-one gets hurt and gamers become useful.
Wed 13/04/05 at 04:00
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Are they STILL claiming that there'll be a release of Duke Nukem Forever?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.