GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Games & 5.1 Sound"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/04/05 at 15:39
Regular
"serenity now!"
The thread in the Xbox forum inspired me here.

I have a Dolby Digital receiver at home which is digitally wired up to my DVD player, but only hooked up to the PC with standard 2 channel interconnects.

This is because, as far as I can tell, it is impossible to get surround sound (5.1 or other) in PC games with a digital connection.

Is this true? And if it is, what gives? Why can you hook an Xbox up to a Dolby Digital receiver but not a PC?
Fri 15/04/05 at 17:14
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
I see what you mean, I haven't actually tried myself - try posting a question on the creative forums: [URL]http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=soundblaster[/URL]

Edit: I think this post has the answer :-(

[URL]http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=12170[/URL]

It would seem that it only works with games using speakers that support creative's proprietary connection
Fri 15/04/05 at 16:21
Regular
"serenity now!"
Not that I don't believe you guys, but everywhere I read seems to say that you can only get digital 5.1 in games with particular nForce 2 motherboards with the Soundstorm chipset. e.g. [URL]http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159122&highlight=5.1+optical+games[/URL]

Really not sure here, I don't wanna spend £80 odd on a sound card to find out it doesn't do what I need it to.
Fri 15/04/05 at 04:23
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
In response to the original post, and to further on what Suicide soldier said below, the Audigy 2 cards have a feature whereby the audio as outputted by the program in use (games etc), can be processed (EAX signals etc) and sent straight to a suitable decoder this completely bypasses the analogue outputs though. Some hard core twitch gamers will argue that the processing time of soundcard + external decoder causes lag though.

There is also a feature for the usual audio standards (DTS, Dolby and relatives etc) to be processed entirely externally (ie the soundcard doesn't touch the signal, it simply passes it on to an external decode via the digital output)

As far as I know, this works fine upto 5.1, Im not sure about 7.1 <- then again 7 speakers = 7 expensive pieces of kit to knock/drop/bump into etc...
Thu 14/04/05 at 23:59
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Damarus wrote:
> Theres no point buying a good sound card if you haven't got any good
> speakers to listen to it through.
>
> I'd go with the speakers first then obviously update the soundcard at
> a later date.

Agreed.
Thu 14/04/05 at 19:38
Regular
smv wrote:
> I've noticed you seem to have a pretty nice set-up, is this the
> config you use (optical cable from sound card to DD receiver)?
>
> If this is true then its good news for me :). I'd got the impression
> from reading around that surround sound in games only worked through
> the analogue connections (i.e. with cables in the mic, line-in and
> line-out).
>
> Just need to get me a decent sound card then. Audigy 2 a good choice?

Yeah, sorry for the late reply, been in a shi**y JAVA training session at work all day, no internet access :(

I use Optical for my PS2/Xbox/DVD and PC to connect to my 6.1 system. Analog can only output stereo signals, 2 channel/4 channel and providing you have the right AMP some can decode Pro Logic 2 signals using left and right audio connections. A lot of AMPs will only decode Pro Logic 2 through either Optical/COAX which is bizarre seeing as it is purely a stereo source.

If you look in the Xbox forum, the system I recommended Spikecast is excellent, pne of the best outside of buying the AMP/Speakers seperately which is another option.

Avoid Home Cinema 5.1 systems that use the DVD player as the AMP - crap. Also avoid system specifically designed for gaming purposes (Creative etc) - the bass range etc is all geared towards gaming, you may be a little miffed with the specitcal of Dolby Digital when playing movies.

Oh yeah and either the Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS are excellent cards. The only difference is with the Analog connections on the ZS, they are gold plated for a purer signal. Both cards don't spupport Optical out of the box, you will need the set top box from Audigy for Optical, they do however have a digital COAX connection. Optical is just a purer/better quality method of connecting to a 5.1 AMP.

Any more help, just ask.
Wed 13/04/05 at 19:01
Regular
Theres no point buying a good sound card if you haven't got any good speakers to listen to it through.

I'd go with the speakers first then obviously update the soundcard at a later date.
Wed 13/04/05 at 18:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
Quick question:

What's more worth spending money on - better PC speakers or a better soundcard?

Or is the soundcard I have (Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1) good enough?
Wed 13/04/05 at 18:12
Regular
"serenity now!"
Suicide Soldier wrote:
> Pretty much all new PC games support 5.1 or Surround Sound. Use either
> Optical or Coaxial connection. Check your sound card/motherboard and
> then the AMP to see which one/s yours has.
>
> PC games support 2 channel, 4 channel, 5.1/6.1 and a couple 7.1,
> although none DTS that I am aware of but yeah PC games support
> digital surround sound, plus with a decent sound card they offer far
> more 3D sound channels than the Xbox/Any other console with Dolby
> Digital capability.

I've noticed you seem to have a pretty nice set-up, is this the config you use (optical cable from sound card to DD receiver)?

If this is true then its good news for me :). I'd got the impression from reading around that surround sound in games only worked through the analogue connections (i.e. with cables in the mic, line-in and line-out).

Just need to get me a decent sound card then. Audigy 2 a good choice?
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:58
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
There are even 5.1 headphones available. Precisely how they work is beyond me though...
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:22
Regular
Pretty much all new PC games support 5.1 or Surround Sound. Use either Optical or Coaxial connection. Check your sound card/motherboard and then the AMP to see which one/s yours has.

PC games support 2 channel, 4 channel, 5.1/6.1 and a couple 7.1, although none DTS that I am aware of but yeah PC games support digital surround sound, plus with a decent sound card they offer far more 3D sound channels than the Xbox/Any other console with Dolby Digital capability.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.