GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being a Non-Christian"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/04 at 00:05
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Being a non-Christian is excellent, because I don't have to stick to a system of rules that govern how I live my life. It gets even better, because I don't feel that I have to impose my way of life on other people, opting instead for a simple, non-offensive attitude to see me through the day. This leads to meeting people that actually like me for the way I treat them with respect, and how I am tolerant of their beliefs. No-one can try to make me feel guilty or humble, by telling me that a total stranger, who may or not have existed 1000 years ago, died for my sins, which I hadn't even committed yet. The closest I've ever come to being emotionally blackmailed is by my cat, when it whines to get at the kitty treats. It learnt to shut up and wait.

I went to a Christian school - it was just nearer than all the other schools. I got good results, was polite, didn't smoke, drink, take drugs or play with girls - I was a model pupil. But I was still forced to repent my sins to someone else's God. If I didn't want to, fine, but I had to get up in front of the whole school and make a fool of myself because they snuck it in at the end of assembly. Despite this, I excelled in Religious Education, even though I had no interest in it. It got a bit boring, because we only ever learnt about one religion. If it wasn't for the fact that we had some Asian kids at our school, I would have been completely oblivious that any other religions actually existed outside of Christianity. Amazingly, we had a Jewish teacher for a subject that was basically a recruitment camp for a religion that shunned the plight of millions of Jews only 50 years ago. It's astonishing how totally blinkered and bias the RE syllabus is. I did hear recently that they were introducing other religions into the subject. What enlightened times we live in.

What I love most about being a Non-Christian, are the many fun and exciting ways there are of winding up the members of the Christian religion that take their faith a little too seriously. All you have to do is mention that there may be other forms of faith and religion that are better, or another God has a more booming voice and more arms, and they get all uppity. Sometimes it's not even a challenge. Take our beloved Forest Fan, for example. So convinced is he that his faith is the way forward for all humanity, he goes into this armadillo-type state of defensiveness should anybody question it. Honestly, he's more tightly wound-up than a Danish whirl in a vice. Have you ever seen anyone with shell shock? Sometimes they go into a trance, endlessly repeating phrases and sentences, over and over and over... That's what Forest Fan sounds like when you rattle his cage. Sorry to single him out, but he really is a babbling brook of bullsh*t.

One thing I do find interesting about the Christian faith, is the many ways of insulting us non-Christians. All that "thou shalt love my neighbour" nonsense goes straight out the window, if your neighbour is of a different religion. Christ on a bike, what if your neighbour is a gay!? Imagine that - a homosexual, living in a house, next door to you - would you love him (or her) then? You couldn't possibly, your religion forbids it. A gay Jew? What a mind-mental for the Christians! Imagine not knowing this vital information and then starting a conversation with one. What would your God think of you then? Better just isolate yourself from the rest of the world now. Better yet, find some fantastic way of forcing everyone else to be just like you - here's a fancy title you might like for your campaign: "The Final solution".

I was at the train station the other day, and there was a poster quoting a passage from the Bible in one of those big plastic-fronted advertising windows. It was basically calling me a fool. Now if I put up a poster saying "Suck my c*ck, or else you're a c*nt", it would get torn down pretty quickly, and I'd probably get lumped round the head a few times - even if I hid it behind some fancy religious posturing. So why should I put up with this childish name-calling? My example may have been a bit extreme, but the same sentiment is used - if you don't agree with my way of thinking, then I am allowed to call you names. There's no difference, it just gets shrugged off because the insult isn't harmful enough to penetrate. It just makes all Christians look like a bitter, hateful bunch, unable to see past their own misguided and outdated wisdom and lack of tolerance. Hopefully Forest Fan will reply to this, and you'll get some A1 examples of what I'm on about.

Yip, I'm a practising non-Christian, and damn proud of it.
Wed 25/02/04 at 00:05
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Being a non-Christian is excellent, because I don't have to stick to a system of rules that govern how I live my life. It gets even better, because I don't feel that I have to impose my way of life on other people, opting instead for a simple, non-offensive attitude to see me through the day. This leads to meeting people that actually like me for the way I treat them with respect, and how I am tolerant of their beliefs. No-one can try to make me feel guilty or humble, by telling me that a total stranger, who may or not have existed 1000 years ago, died for my sins, which I hadn't even committed yet. The closest I've ever come to being emotionally blackmailed is by my cat, when it whines to get at the kitty treats. It learnt to shut up and wait.

I went to a Christian school - it was just nearer than all the other schools. I got good results, was polite, didn't smoke, drink, take drugs or play with girls - I was a model pupil. But I was still forced to repent my sins to someone else's God. If I didn't want to, fine, but I had to get up in front of the whole school and make a fool of myself because they snuck it in at the end of assembly. Despite this, I excelled in Religious Education, even though I had no interest in it. It got a bit boring, because we only ever learnt about one religion. If it wasn't for the fact that we had some Asian kids at our school, I would have been completely oblivious that any other religions actually existed outside of Christianity. Amazingly, we had a Jewish teacher for a subject that was basically a recruitment camp for a religion that shunned the plight of millions of Jews only 50 years ago. It's astonishing how totally blinkered and bias the RE syllabus is. I did hear recently that they were introducing other religions into the subject. What enlightened times we live in.

What I love most about being a Non-Christian, are the many fun and exciting ways there are of winding up the members of the Christian religion that take their faith a little too seriously. All you have to do is mention that there may be other forms of faith and religion that are better, or another God has a more booming voice and more arms, and they get all uppity. Sometimes it's not even a challenge. Take our beloved Forest Fan, for example. So convinced is he that his faith is the way forward for all humanity, he goes into this armadillo-type state of defensiveness should anybody question it. Honestly, he's more tightly wound-up than a Danish whirl in a vice. Have you ever seen anyone with shell shock? Sometimes they go into a trance, endlessly repeating phrases and sentences, over and over and over... That's what Forest Fan sounds like when you rattle his cage. Sorry to single him out, but he really is a babbling brook of bullsh*t.

One thing I do find interesting about the Christian faith, is the many ways of insulting us non-Christians. All that "thou shalt love my neighbour" nonsense goes straight out the window, if your neighbour is of a different religion. Christ on a bike, what if your neighbour is a gay!? Imagine that - a homosexual, living in a house, next door to you - would you love him (or her) then? You couldn't possibly, your religion forbids it. A gay Jew? What a mind-mental for the Christians! Imagine not knowing this vital information and then starting a conversation with one. What would your God think of you then? Better just isolate yourself from the rest of the world now. Better yet, find some fantastic way of forcing everyone else to be just like you - here's a fancy title you might like for your campaign: "The Final solution".

I was at the train station the other day, and there was a poster quoting a passage from the Bible in one of those big plastic-fronted advertising windows. It was basically calling me a fool. Now if I put up a poster saying "Suck my c*ck, or else you're a c*nt", it would get torn down pretty quickly, and I'd probably get lumped round the head a few times - even if I hid it behind some fancy religious posturing. So why should I put up with this childish name-calling? My example may have been a bit extreme, but the same sentiment is used - if you don't agree with my way of thinking, then I am allowed to call you names. There's no difference, it just gets shrugged off because the insult isn't harmful enough to penetrate. It just makes all Christians look like a bitter, hateful bunch, unable to see past their own misguided and outdated wisdom and lack of tolerance. Hopefully Forest Fan will reply to this, and you'll get some A1 examples of what I'm on about.

Yip, I'm a practising non-Christian, and damn proud of it.
Wed 25/02/04 at 01:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'll save Forest Fan some typing-time and say what he will say:

(With smugness and holier-than-thou spite): "All practising non-Christians will roast in the Devil's spit for ever and ever."
Wed 25/02/04 at 01:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hey, maybe I like the Devil's spit! (it tastes of Mountain Dew)
Wed 25/02/04 at 07:30
Regular
"Monochromatic"
we make our choices
we live our lives
we don't hear voices
our morality thrives
you do what you're told
your minds not your own
war is created
by the seeds that you've sown

i hope you like that i wrote it in 2 minutes.
Wed 25/02/04 at 09:52
Regular
"Milky Milky"
> Yip, I'm a practising non-Christian, and damn proud of it.

And so you should be :) Christinaity is nothing more than a load of self contradicting tripe run by egotisical assholes who could do with sharing some of their enormous wealth with the poorer people on this planet. How can the Church be good when the churches are dripping with Gold and other such fineary, yet won't sell it off to help the poor and needy. I'd trust the Church more if the sold everything off...gave the money to the poor and then set a humble example....surely that is what any good God would want?
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:59
Regular
Recently (especially with the american religious right's latest homophobia outbreak, but also for plenty more examples) I've found myself looking at christianity and thinking 'jeez, these warped mongs are overflowing with misguided fear and hatred, the world would be better off without this religion'.

Then it ocurred to me that that line of reasoning isn't all that far away from the stereotypical judgemental religious t*t.
So even in atheism I find myself going the way of a planet full of mongs.

Just got to make an effort to remember that not *all* christians actively condemn and seek to oppress anyone who disagrees with them.

I wish evolution would fricking hurry up
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:37
"High polygon count"
I want to see what happens to religion in general when - yes, WHEN - life is found elsewhere in the universe.

Though it will probably just "adapt" - as most fiction does - to try and encompass the latest discoveries.

For beliefs so rigid and set in stone (apparently literally in some cases), it never ceases to amaze me how much religion has wriggled and squirmed over the centuries as it has had to encompass new, factual, proven discoveries.

And yet people still believe in it, whichever guise it is presented in.

"An eye for an eye!"

"Turn the other cheek!"

Yeah, erm... which is it? How does anyone know how to make "God" happy with contradictions like that littered throughout the manual?

Talking snakes? Burning bushes? And they say hallucinogenic drugs are a relatively recent problem!
Wed 25/02/04 at 17:13
"Darth Vader 3442321"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I want to see what happens to religion in general when - yes, WHEN -
> life is found elsewhere in the universe.

The Islamic faith is forthcoming about the fact that there may well be life elsewhere in the universe. They accept it as an obvious possibility: a God is entitled to create life wherever they want to and in whatever form they desire. Us humans of course, generally like to relate religion directly to what we can observe. Thus many Gods take the form of animals or, most egotistical, man (or lass).
Wed 25/02/04 at 18:14
Regular
"not dead"
I'm not a Christian either, or any other religion, yet I still went out and bought battenburg today after reading a story about Jesus bumping into the Devil in the desert, and being offered some of this most delightful window-cake.
Wed 25/02/04 at 18:49
"possibly impossible"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I want to see what happens to religion in general when - yes, WHEN -
> life is found elsewhere in the universe.

I can't find anything in the old or new testament that mentions we are the only sentinent planet.

>
>
> "An eye for an eye!"

Old Testament - Written by people with big beards who say they heard the word of God and told everyone. Written down many decades later after being passed down by oral tradition.
>
> "Turn the other cheek!"

New Testament - taken from letters, teachings and general stuff taken from the disciples and Jesus. Again, passed down for a while before most of it was written in to one tome and then edited to suit the purpose of the time.

> Talking snakes? Burning bushes? And they say hallucinogenic drugs
> are a relatively recent problem!

But surely if there is a God, anything is possible? Any higher being can easily make bushes talk. Hey, and if it can happen in The Three Amigos...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.