GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worrying Virus-Like Problem."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 22:54
Anyone any good at viruses?

I think I have a strange one, it doens't seem to match the description of other famous viruses but it definitely seem to be some sort of virus.

The problem is, every time I open certain programs, they immediately shut down. This even includes ctrl-alt-delete as as soon as I press them, the window pops up for about half a second before disappearing, before I have the chance to click the processes tab, so I can't get rid of it.

It also seems to be really affecting the speed of my computer, games have been grinding through instead of whizzing through like they used to.

It also is incredibly annoying as it bypassed Norton anti-virus, (another program affected by the half-second-close) and other antivirus programs as well.

Any ideas?
Tue 24/02/04 at 22:54
Anyone any good at viruses?

I think I have a strange one, it doens't seem to match the description of other famous viruses but it definitely seem to be some sort of virus.

The problem is, every time I open certain programs, they immediately shut down. This even includes ctrl-alt-delete as as soon as I press them, the window pops up for about half a second before disappearing, before I have the chance to click the processes tab, so I can't get rid of it.

It also seems to be really affecting the speed of my computer, games have been grinding through instead of whizzing through like they used to.

It also is incredibly annoying as it bypassed Norton anti-virus, (another program affected by the half-second-close) and other antivirus programs as well.

Any ideas?
Tue 24/02/04 at 23:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Is your escape key sticking?
Tue 24/02/04 at 23:52
I wish!

I hunted through a lot of the files in the Windows folder, and found one that doesn't quite seem to match.

It's called IAmSad.exe.

It is also on the processes tab, though not on the programs tab. (I got to see the processes by a very fast Ctrl-Alt-Delete-ClickOnProcessesTab-MoveScrollBar_down. Took AGES to do!)

I tried to delete it but can't because the file is in use. Should I keep trying or am I on the wrong track?
Wed 25/02/04 at 09:49
Regular
Did you see this on the net?

http://tinyurl.com/27jfh dont know if it will help.

the borg
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:25
Yes indeed, but I can't delete it.
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:45
Regular
oh, ok try booting into safe mode. Or download Enditall ( http://tinyurl.com/6fk ) click the 'kill all' button, which will stop all processes except the vital stuff and then try and delete it.

the borg
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:50
OK, IAmSad.exe gone, but I still am having the same original problem.

These are the programs on the processes list that might be interfering with the computer.

taskmgr.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe (eh? sounds dodgy)
svchost.exe
explorer.exe
spoolsv.exe
CTSVCCDA.EXE
CDANTSRV.EXE
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
cvcd.exe
IAmSad.exe(gone, I'm taking this list from a print screen from last night)
wkcalrem.exe
p2p.exe
nlsboard.exe
rundll32.exe
wcmdmgr.exe
realsched.exe
SysTrayFind.exe
svchosts.exe
MsgPlus.exe
htpatch.exe
atiptaxx.exe
System
System Idle Process
Wed 25/02/04 at 18:20
Regular
That MsPMSPSv.exe is a Windows Media Player 7 process, Don't worry about that.

The IAmSad thing is a virus apparently.

Taken from another forum: -

"Hello all, I am new here only by the mere fact that I, too, have been hit by the Iamsad.exe virus. Two things alerted me to this.
1. my antivirus warned me a file I downloaded using Kazaa Lite is infected (and kept warning me until I ran the antivirus to clean my whole hard drive), and
2. Zone Alarm asked me if I wanted to grant Internet and Server access to iamsad.exe.

I ran the antivirus, and it "healed" the virus. Zone Alarm cranked down on it. I know what you mean about this pesky beast. Zone Alarm saved me because it tried over two hundred times to get Internet access in less than a minute. I can only imagine what it did with you, Beamer.

You can either get an eval copy of Zone Alarm and then pay for it if you like it, or, since you know of Kaaza, you may have other options. I use AVG Anti-Virus. It's free, but it does a good job of protecting me. I recommend both products to anyone with high-speed Internet. I am sorry you had to restore your system and lose some files. As something to keep in mind for the future, burn your files to CD. You machine may crash for any cause, and there is no reason you should risk losing your files.

Good Luck....Eric"

So basically, get AVG antivirus from grisoft.com and delete the virus.

Firstly though, Go to Start -> Run -> Type msconfig and go to the startup tab, if theres a "IAmSad.exe" box ticked there, untick it and reboot this should prevent it from loading when you start your machine.
Wed 25/02/04 at 18:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I got norton security suite 2004 (antivirus, firewall, spam and parental control) with a one year update subscription for £20.
Wed 25/02/04 at 19:03
Regular
All the files look fine to me lsass.exe and smss.exe are used by a lot of viruses but are also windows files. A quick scan of them should pick up anything.

the borg

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.