GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows Installation Problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 09:20
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Lo' folks.

I'm having a bit of a problem with Window XP Home Edition. I was trying to speed up a friend's PC (it was running hellishly slow) when I noticed that it seems to have the 'Windows' folder but also 'Windows.0'. The BOOT.INI file has multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS AND multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

I checked my own PC, and it only has the former.

Could this be the reason the system takes almost 2 minutes to boot up? (It asks, whilst booting, to pick either' 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition' or 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition'. It's a 1048Mhz PC with 384Mb of RAM.

(Note : My PC has a slower clock speed and takes around 15 seconds to boot, so it's not because it's only a gigahertz clock speed)

Any ideas? And if not this, any other suggestions for why it runs so slow?
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:23
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
:|
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Do you have mounted network drives that are disconnected?
Tue 24/02/04 at 16:08
Regular
Not if none of the other windows installation is being used.

Just delete the directory.

I have done it before and all is fine

the borg
Tue 24/02/04 at 13:16
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Cool. So no uninstall / reinstall required then?
Tue 24/02/04 at 10:35
Regular
Sounds about right to me, but again don't go on my word.

Has the boot.ini got a line similar to default=multi(0)disk(0) rdisk(0)partition(1)\ ?

The os mentioned after the \ will be the one in use. If you are not using the other version, just delete the windows folder of the superfluous one and remove it's line from the boot.ini. It should then read something like this

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

or

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0) rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

the borg
Tue 24/02/04 at 10:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Indeed the diagnosis and solution given in the previous post seems accurate.
Tue 24/02/04 at 10:20
Regular
This is only a guess, but it sounds like Windows XP has been installed twice and the multiboot option is getting confused as both OS's are identical.

You may need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.

Don't do anything until someone can confirm or correct my theory though!
Tue 24/02/04 at 09:20
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Lo' folks.

I'm having a bit of a problem with Window XP Home Edition. I was trying to speed up a friend's PC (it was running hellishly slow) when I noticed that it seems to have the 'Windows' folder but also 'Windows.0'. The BOOT.INI file has multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS AND multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

I checked my own PC, and it only has the former.

Could this be the reason the system takes almost 2 minutes to boot up? (It asks, whilst booting, to pick either' 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition' or 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition'. It's a 1048Mhz PC with 384Mb of RAM.

(Note : My PC has a slower clock speed and takes around 15 seconds to boot, so it's not because it's only a gigahertz clock speed)

Any ideas? And if not this, any other suggestions for why it runs so slow?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.