GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I want to build a website with affiliates in?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/02/04 at 20:03
Regular
?Yes I do,Just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice on the issue,it would be greatly appreciated:-)Can I have more than 1 affiliate on my website?and where do I stand on the issue of typing in companys names on my site,i.e sony,would I need permission?Any help would be of use also,Cheers:-)
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:03
Regular
?Yes I do,Just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice on the issue,it would be greatly appreciated:-)Can I have more than 1 affiliate on my website?and where do I stand on the issue of typing in companys names on my site,i.e sony,would I need permission?Any help would be of use also,Cheers:-)
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
Affiliation is where you associate yourself with an individual and they associate themselves with you, for example a movie website would be affiliated with the production website (eg Fightclub.com and miramax.com)

If you want to link to a company but they're not going to link to you, this is just a weblink, not an affiliation.

If Sony are going to affilate themselves with you then best of luck, you'll soon be rich.
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:09
Regular
"SOUP!"
Elf Ears wrote:
> Can I have more than 1 affiliate on my website?

Yes, you can have as many as you want.

> and where do I stand on the issue of typing in companys names on my
> site,i.e sony,would I need permission?

No, you can use a companies name freely on the internet and link to their website, as long as you don't write bad things about them as this is Libel and they can (and probably will) sue you.

If you're making a playstation website and want to link to Sony as they're the chaps that made the Playstation then you can say "this is the Sony website (http://Sony.com), etc etc"

However if your context is different then it may not apply.
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:21
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> Elf Ears wrote:
> Can I have more than 1 affiliate on my website?
>
> Yes, you can have as many as you want.
>
>
>
> and where do I stand on the issue of typing in companys names on my
> site,i.e sony,would I need permission?
>
> No, you can use a companies name freely on the internet and link to
> their website, as long as you don't write bad things about them as
> this is Libel and they can (and probably will) sue you.
>
> If you're making a playstation website and want to link to Sony as
> they're the chaps that made the Playstation then you can say
> "this is the Sony website (http://Sony.com), etc etc"
>
> However if your context is different then it may not apply.

Hi,what I was thinking of doing waswriting articals of hardware ect,I thought that I might end up(obviously)typing a companys name in,what if say,I wrote a review of the old gba and put a mark(no comments)but a mark of say 4/10,could I get sued?what I mean by affiliate is I noticed places like ama?on and G;ame have similar programs in place and I wondering if I could apply and have both on my site?Cheers
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:25
Regular
"SOUP!"
You can write both hardware and software reviews on Special Reserve, and get the chance to win a free game for your troubles. Also try ciao.co.uk, it's a market research sort of site where you get paid for product reviews.

Thats what I prefer to do instead of doing my own site :-)
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:27
Regular
"SOUP!"
And no, they cant sue you for giving your opinion of a product,
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:33
Regular
> You can write both hardware and software reviews on Special Reserve,
> and get the chance to win a free game for your troubles. Also try
> ciao.co.uk, it's a market research sort of site where you get paid
> for product reviews.
>
> Thats what I prefer to do instead of doing my own site :-)

Yeah I know about special reserve,been a member for 4 years(i think)and written a few reviews online,only just found the site a couple of years back.I'll try ciao tho in a minute:-)cheers
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:35
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
> And no, they cant sue you for giving your opinion of a product,

Only if you express that this is only your opinion!
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:38
Regular
Also another question :-) what exactly do I need?I have seen another place online which has names .co.uk at £2 a year+ £5 a month for a basic home run site(not the cheapest ming)is that about the right cost for a website or are there any hidden costs?Cheers again
Mon 23/02/04 at 20:42
Regular
"SOUP!"
Host on free hosting and pay for a .co.uk redirect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.