GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What an age we live!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/07/00 at 08:21
Regular
Look where we've come from; remember back in the good ol' days of the Spectrum where games used to cost £2.99 for a budget title and £10.99 for a full budget title? You would wait 6-7 minutes for the thing to load, the graphics would be poor, the sound would be terrible, but it'd play like a dream, better than some of today's titles I might add.

Fast forward 17 years and we're currently in an era where games come on CD, Cartridge, DVD or GD-ROMS; they can cost anything from £30 to £60. Development costs have increased and more developers are required for a single project. Where back in the 80's, games would be programmed by bedroom programmers or a small team of about 2 people would work on a project. Nowadays, we have teams of up to 20 people or more working on a single project. Game development costs are slowly approaching the cost of making a big-budget movie (I think Shenmue cost something in the vacinity of £20 million).

We've had great titles such as Metal Gear Solid and Goldeneye, which have undoubtedly, enhanced the player's experience of feeling as if we were in the game.

What an age we live in eh?
Fri 21/07/00 at 21:51
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
That's right, things cost more nowadays and there is always competition, you can't expect to compete against a 20 million pound movie if you only have a home video and your parents, it just wouldn't compare. They need more and more money to succeed, no money gives you problems, you can pick up a spectrum for less than a pound now, you can get any old system for under a fiver, except for those strange people advertising in the KM selling their Amiga systems for £50!! who would want that?
Fri 21/07/00 at 08:21
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Look where we've come from; remember back in the good ol' days of the Spectrum where games used to cost £2.99 for a budget title and £10.99 for a full budget title? You would wait 6-7 minutes for the thing to load, the graphics would be poor, the sound would be terrible, but it'd play like a dream, better than some of today's titles I might add.

Fast forward 17 years and we're currently in an era where games come on CD, Cartridge, DVD or GD-ROMS; they can cost anything from £30 to £60. Development costs have increased and more developers are required for a single project. Where back in the 80's, games would be programmed by bedroom programmers or a small team of about 2 people would work on a project. Nowadays, we have teams of up to 20 people or more working on a single project. Game development costs are slowly approaching the cost of making a big-budget movie (I think Shenmue cost something in the vacinity of £20 million).

We've had great titles such as Metal Gear Solid and Goldeneye, which have undoubtedly, enhanced the player's experience of feeling as if we were in the game.

What an age we live in eh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.