GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Futility of modern life"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/02/04 at 10:11
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Sometimes I look at the way we live life in despair. We spend most of our early life at school, working hard so that when we leave school/university, we have a 'decent' job. For most of us, we work hard all our lives so that when we retire, we have enough money to pass away in comfort. 60 ... 65 years of hard 9 - 5 slog, with most of us finding ourselves lumped in a career that isn't really our thing, just so that we can die in comfort. That seems to be the work ethic of the modern world. Such a shame that the majority of life when we are at our prime, we spend locked away preparing for this nice later life comfortable death.

*sigh*
Thu 19/02/04 at 00:28
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Why cant we just all live like cave men and have no worries in the world apart from "Is that bananna looking at me?"

That is what real life is.

Or being dead rich so you dont have to do anything you dont want to.
Thu 19/02/04 at 00:13
Regular
"relocated"
Modern life is rubbish. Not materially (if you're lucky enough to be born in the West, and in the right part of town) but spiritually. Most work is soul-destroying drudgery. If you can carve out a living doing something you love then you are very, very lucky.

I'm with Karl Marx on this:

The worker alienated from his product is at the same time alienated from himself. His labor itself becomes no longer his own, and the fact that it becomes the property of another bespeaks an expropriation that touches the very essence of man. Labor in its true form is a medium for man’s true self-fulfillment, for the full development of his potentialities; the conscious utilization of the forces of nature should take place for his satisfaction and enjoyment. In its current form, however, it cripples all human faculties and enjoins satisfaction. The worker ‘does not affirm but contradicts his essence. ‘Instead of developing his free physical and mental energies, he mortifies his body and ruins his mind. He therefore first feels he is with himself when he is free from work and apart from himself when he is at work. He is at home when he does not work and not at home when he does. His working is, therefore, not done willingly but under compulsion. It is forced labor. It is, therefore, not the satisfaction of a need, but only a means for the satisfaction of wants outside of it.’

So there!
Wed 18/02/04 at 17:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> This is why we need Communism.

Which worked so well in the former USSR and China.

Modern life is pretty excellent and most of you don't realise just what you have. There is a majority of the world's population that would swop places with you in a second without hesitation. Everyday people try and get into this country, and others, often having sold everything they own or risking their lives, just to reach what we have come to know as the modern world.

So what if we go through education for so long? There are kids who walk miles on foot for lessons in bare buildings with literally nothing in them, there are children who will never even get the chance to go to school. Same with jobs. Boo hoo. Most of us will spend a 1/3 of our life working, many people on the planet will spend 3/4 of their life working and be dead before 40. As for retiring, again there are people on this planet who will never even reach that age and never stood a chance of doing so from the moment of birth.

I've said this before on topics and I'll say it again - the only people complaining about the state of the modern world are those with relatively full access to all that it offers and can offer. Tons of people live in condition akin to victorian era britain and far worse. There are also people with modern societies who live way below an acceptable standard of living.
Wed 18/02/04 at 17:17
Regular
"Enchilladas"
I like amsterdamn.
Wed 18/02/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Nike Theory"
We're pretty much done for in many respects, society doesn't lend itself to living a happy life. Most things we do in our lives here have absolutely nothing to do with living and real 'life'.
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Move to Cuba then.
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:23
Regular
"That's right!"
This is why we need Communism.
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:17
Regular
It seems like these days people generally have a fairly warped feeling of entitlement to stuff.

People feel they 'deserve' nice things, whether they can afford them or not. So they borrow money, put it on credit cards, blah blah.
They feel the state has a responsibility to pay for them, provide for them. No realisation of the fact that the 'state' in this sense is the wallets of everyone else in the country. Does the average man in the street owe it to you to give you a nice house and free healthcare? No, if you contribute through tax during your lifetime you can expect stuff in return, but otherwise you're a parasite, and the average man owes you nothing.

And they feel they deserve a better job. Why? You're earning a living, you're exchanging your time and skills for the things you need to survive. It's not a right to fun times.

That said, a third of your life, at working age, will be in work. Of course you want something nice, and it's natural to pursue that.
But it's not a right.
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:13
Regular
I'd like to go back to cavemen times.

It's basically sex, food, sleep, adrenaline. No morals or whatnot, just a FFA. Of course, life expectancy is low at that time, but when you've got a life packed with such action and freedom, 18 years is enough...
Wed 18/02/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Simon Says wrote:
> A job is just a
> job. You have to ask why you do that job.

Kinda true, a job is just a job, but with something taking up such a large proportion of your life, it IS an important aspect of it. I don't want my job to just be a paycheque, I want it to actually fulfil me.

If could get by in life, I'd love to own or even just be happy to work in an independant record shop. It would keep me happy. Happy at work would then lead to greater happiness at home. Looking at todays world though, it would be too risky a job to try and pursue.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.