GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DJ Shadow"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/02/04 at 20:21
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
My mate had some of his stuff on whilst I was in the car with him the other day and I've found out that he's rather good. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of him and/or likes him?
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Moody DJ"
monkey_man wrote:
> I liked that DJ SHadow album you lent me, Snugs, but preferred the DJ
> Format one - it seems more...fun? Both good, but in slightly
> different ways. Mark B and Blade one was alright, but I got the
> image of Westwood in the album cover whenever I heard it. He looks
> like a grown-up member of the Blazin' Squad.

Yeah, Shadow is very much on the serious side! If you're after fun along the lines of DJ Format, DJ Yoda's How To Cut And Paste A Mixtape series is good, the Ninja Tune Solid Steel mix series is pure class, Kid Koala is audio lunacy...
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:53
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> I've got the UNKLE album, it's fantastic, one of my favourites.
>
> Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I got hold of a
> Shadow EP the other day with remixes of GDMFSOB, Six Days and others,
> plus radio edits of Walkie Talkie and Mashin' on the Motorway. It's
> mighty fine, too.
>
> And Product Placement is also rather ace. I need more, MORE dammit!

Yeah, that sounds like the remixes album that you have! Unfortunately Shadow doesn't pump out as many tracks as people around him which is a shame. But there are enough other decent artists out there who could no doubt please ya I'm sure!

Next time you're wandering through a record shop, have a check out of Ninja Tune's Zen compilations that are out now. One 2CD version with their best tracks from the 10 or so years that they've been going, and another 2CD version with the best remixes that they've had. They're a good label and something should hit home for ya!
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I liked that DJ SHadow album you lent me, Snugs, but preferred the DJ Format one - it seems more...fun? Both good, but in slightly different ways. Mark B and Blade one was alright, but I got the image of Westwood in the album cover whenever I heard it. He looks like a grown-up member of the Blazin' Squad.
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:49
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Widge wrote:
> unknown kernel wrote:

> I want this! Its got stuff like the Soulwax remix of Six Days ... I'm
> wondering if thats the same version that plays over the end credits
> of Phone Booth. I think that James Lavelle pops up on remix duties on
> this too under the UNKLE guise.

The Six Days remix on the end of Phone Booth has Mos Def on it, and is in my opinion better than the original. It's got cuts from Walkie Talkie on it, and it rules. You can find it if you know where to look *wink wink*
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:48
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've got the UNKLE album, it's fantastic, one of my favourites.

Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I got hold of a Shadow EP the other day with remixes of GDMFSOB, Six Days and others, plus radio edits of Walkie Talkie and Mashin' on the Motorway. It's mighty fine, too.

And Product Placement is also rather ace. I need more, MORE dammit!
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:28
Regular
"Moody DJ"
unknown kernel wrote:
There's also
> a remix/B-sides album called The Private Repress - it's Japanese and
> supposedly excellent but I can't get it until my credit card cools
> off and I can shop with amazon.com again.

I want this! Its got stuff like the Soulwax remix of Six Days ... I'm wondering if thats the same version that plays over the end credits of Phone Booth. I think that James Lavelle pops up on remix duties on this too under the UNKLE guise.
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:27
Regular
"Moody DJ"
unknown kernel wrote:
> The only thing I've heard by them is the Boards of Canada remix of
> Dead Dogs Two, which is great. I normally at least listen to
> everything on the Big Dada label but they completely passed me by.
> Their new album is out soon so I'll definitely get hold of that.

Yeah, I've got Dead Dogs Two remix and something that came on a Big Dada sampler ... aside from Roots Manuva, they seem to be one of the finest things to have come from Big Dada. cLOUDDEADs first album is on the cards for me, has to be had.

I'll definately check out the new RJD2 stuff though.
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:25
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> The Brainfreeze remix is top, as is all Cut Chemist stuff, and indeed
> all Jurassic 5 stuff. I bought an album of theirs I didn't even know
> existed, Quality Control - I thought they only had the two.
>
> Any other DJ Shadow stuff worth getting? There's some remix album
> called Pre-Emptive Strike on Amazon, but that wasn't very good, not
> lively enough for me.

You can check out the first UNKLE album which was Shadow & James Lavelle, featured the likes of the bassist from Metallica, Badly Drawn Boy, Thom Yorke, Richard Ashcroft, Beastie Boy's Mike D ... massive high profile stars project! Its called Psyence Fiction. The follow up album didn't have Shadow on board, but is a nice one anyway, also featured the likes of Josh Homme, Massive Attack's 3D, Jarvis Cocker, Brian Eno ... all tasty stuff.

Do check out the other bits mentioned here too! RJD2 is a fine successor to Mr Shadow, DJ Krush is well worth checking AND he's got alot of material out there, Coldcut are fine ... especially things like their Journeys By DJs mix 70 Minutes Of Madness. Oh, and you can do no wrong than to grab Music Has The Right To Children by Boards Of Canada!
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:15
Regular
"relocated"
There's another Shadow/Cut Chemist mix called Product Placement
http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/7276.html
I don't have it but I've heard it's very good.

I like In/Flux by DJ Shadow but I think that might be on the Pre-emptive Strike album. There's also a brilliant mix of a DJ Krush tune, Meiso, but I'm not sure where you'd get that now except on Soulseek. Dark Days Theme is excellent and is the, er, theme from the film Dark Days: ditto on finding that one, though. There's also a remix/B-sides album called The Private Repress - it's Japanese and supposedly excellent but I can't get it until my credit card cools off and I can shop with amazon.com again.

Have you heard the Ozomatli album? It's a latin/hip hop fusiony project starring Cut Chemist and most of Jurassic 5. Real party music. I haven't heard it for a while but I'm 'working' from home today so I'll dig it out and have a listen.
Tue 17/02/04 at 11:35
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
The Brainfreeze remix is top, as is all Cut Chemist stuff, and indeed all Jurassic 5 stuff. I bought an album of theirs I didn't even know existed, Quality Control - I thought they only had the two.

Any other DJ Shadow stuff worth getting? There's some remix album called Pre-Emptive Strike on Amazon, but that wasn't very good, not lively enough for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.