GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question of legality"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/02/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Seems like a very topical topic at the moment with a few of you on here pondering what is the appropriate direction to head with the legality of cannabis. How about a side point though? With alcohol and nicotine being possibly the two most dangerous narcotics available in the world today, should we not look at the legality of them too? Smoking is pretty much on its way to being banned as it is in America, the government is taxing it out of the market, plus the restrictions on advertising and the stronger presence of anti-smoking advertising is clearly supporting the view that its something to get rid of. Alcohol seems to be going the same way, looking at adverts recently, slogans along the lines of 'Drink responsibly' are starting to appear. This is no doubt in response to the UKs increasingly 'binge drinking' culture that we have. Will the future see these substances banned? Do you agree that they should/shouldn't be banned. Plus what would be the reaction to any sanctions imposed on currently legal intoxicants, would we see the UK descend into prohibition chaos much like in 1930s America?

Plus where do we stop with this, if things that are 'bad' for you are getting banned, what will be next? A watchful eye has been cast over the likes of McDonalds with the fast food they pump out. Would we find our gaming lives intruded on because parents are worried that games with guns will turn us all into serial killing maniacs. Where can we draw the line as individuals and say 'thats enough, I can make my OWN decisions'?
Mon 16/02/04 at 17:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Alcohol should not be banned. However, the reason it causes so much trouble is the ease of which one can get very drunk very quickly.
Mon 16/02/04 at 17:22
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Fact: It's technically illegal to get drunk in a pub, due to it being
> a public place. Or something.
>
> I have nothing to add to this discussion apart from this point.

Irony in everyday life, always a fun thing
Mon 16/02/04 at 17:22
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Fact: It's technically illegal to get drunk in a pub, due to it being
> a public place. Or something.
>
> I have nothing to add to this discussion apart from this point.

I got sloshed in a hospital once and ended up ramming some nurse-type in the cubicle.

I was done for being drunk in this orderly.

Probably a true story.
Mon 16/02/04 at 17:05
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Fact: It's technically illegal to get drunk in a pub, due to it being a public place. Or something.

I have nothing to add to this discussion apart from this point.
Mon 16/02/04 at 16:19
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Flockhart wrote:
> people do have to drink as they also have to eat,it's just a matter
> of what they consume,as for smoking because it is seen as
> unneccesary,it doesn't get that protection.
> smoking wont become illegal,but it will be banned in public,therefore
> eliminating the second-hand smoke issue.
> as for pot,no chance,the government doesn't want the issue of stoned
> drivers to add to drunks.plus they believe it would lead to more work
> based accidents,and decrease productivity.
> if there is a public demand for something illegal,criminal gangs will
> always provide it.
> if the government believed that people would be sensible,they might
> consider it,but as we all know the government believes that the
> general public are a bunch of idiot's,and unfortunately they are
> mostly right.

Ok fair enough, I personally can't see smoking or alcohol being made illegal, but I think I could see them being banned. I'm wondering what public opinion of it would be if that was the case. When people would start to stand up and say 'ok, thats now starting to infringe on my rights'. True you have to drink, but you don't have to drink alcohol, and alcohol has a dehydrating effect on you anyway, rather than the nessesary re-hydrating properties of a normal drink.

Its just I see a few sanctions are starting to slip in here there and everywhere, I wonder where the line will be drawn.
Mon 16/02/04 at 16:14
Regular
"Moody DJ"
H²O wrote:
> I have never smoked, i never will, i see no need, i hate smokers and i
> hate drugs.
>
> Respect.

And your viewpoint on the legality of that and of that of alcohol is?
Mon 16/02/04 at 16:05
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I have never smoked, i never will, i see no need, i hate smokers and i hate drugs.

Respect.
Mon 16/02/04 at 16:00
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Widge wrote:
> Seems like a very topical topic at the moment with a few of you on
> here pondering what is the appropriate direction to head with the
> legality of cannabis. How about a side point though? With alcohol and
> nicotine being possibly the two most dangerous narcotics available in
> the world today, should we not look at the legality of them too?
> Smoking is pretty much on its way to being banned as it is in
> America, the government is taxing it out of the market, plus the
> restrictions on advertising and the stronger presence of anti-smoking
> advertising is clearly supporting the view that its something to get
> rid of. Alcohol seems to be going the same way, looking at adverts
> recently, slogans along the lines of 'Drink responsibly' are starting
> to appear. This is no doubt in response to the UKs increasingly
> 'binge drinking' culture that we have. Will the future see these
> substances banned? Do you agree that they should/shouldn't be banned.
> Plus what would be the reaction to any sanctions imposed on currently
> legal intoxicants, would we see the UK descend into prohibition chaos
> much like in 1930s America?
>
> Plus where do we stop with this, if things that are 'bad' for you are
> getting banned, what will be next? A watchful eye has been cast over
> the likes of McDonalds with the fast food they pump out. Would we
> find our gaming lives intruded on because parents are worried that
> games with guns will turn us all into serial killing maniacs. Where
> can we draw the line as individuals and say 'thats enough, I can make
> my OWN decisions'?

people do have to drink as they also have to eat,it's just a matter of what they consume,as for smoking because it is seen as unneccesary,it doesn't get that protection.
smoking wont become illegal,but it will be banned in public,therefore eliminating the second-hand smoke issue.
as for pot,no chance,the government doesn't want the issue of stoned drivers to add to drunks.plus they believe it would lead to more work based accidents,and decrease productivity.
if there is a public demand for something illegal,criminal gangs will always provide it.
if the government believed that people would be sensible,they might consider it,but as we all know the government believes that the general public are a bunch of idiot's,and unfortunately they are mostly right.
Mon 16/02/04 at 15:55
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I hate stoners, well no I don't, but I hate the ones who make it a lifestyle decision. These people would probably be at a loss for what to do if it was made legal, so go for it I say.
Mon 16/02/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Seems like a very topical topic at the moment with a few of you on here pondering what is the appropriate direction to head with the legality of cannabis. How about a side point though? With alcohol and nicotine being possibly the two most dangerous narcotics available in the world today, should we not look at the legality of them too? Smoking is pretty much on its way to being banned as it is in America, the government is taxing it out of the market, plus the restrictions on advertising and the stronger presence of anti-smoking advertising is clearly supporting the view that its something to get rid of. Alcohol seems to be going the same way, looking at adverts recently, slogans along the lines of 'Drink responsibly' are starting to appear. This is no doubt in response to the UKs increasingly 'binge drinking' culture that we have. Will the future see these substances banned? Do you agree that they should/shouldn't be banned. Plus what would be the reaction to any sanctions imposed on currently legal intoxicants, would we see the UK descend into prohibition chaos much like in 1930s America?

Plus where do we stop with this, if things that are 'bad' for you are getting banned, what will be next? A watchful eye has been cast over the likes of McDonalds with the fast food they pump out. Would we find our gaming lives intruded on because parents are worried that games with guns will turn us all into serial killing maniacs. Where can we draw the line as individuals and say 'thats enough, I can make my OWN decisions'?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.