GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do I fit a PSU?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 23:15
Regular
Hi, I have just ordered an Antec TruePower 380W for a PC that being giving me the Jip.

Basically, I have been building systems for about 18months now, built about 10. But heres the embarrassing part; I've never ever fitted or reinstalled a a PSU before :(.

Basically, from looking at some old Systems I had up in my attic, it just looks like 4 to 8 screws on the backplate and then its in... but in my case it attaches to back and cross bars (Chieftec Dragon).

Can someone giv me a link on how to fit a PSU? And any1 who's read my posts before will no I hate google, cos all it gives ME is unrelated shopping sites! bah! If you cant giv a link, could you just tell me here what to do?

I think its just a case of screws out, catch it before it falls and destroys your 9800XT, AGP Slot, Modem, Lan Card and PCI Slots, then new PSU in... but can someone just confirm this?

Dan.
Mon 16/02/04 at 18:38
Regular
Thx for link and video.

yes I was gonna lay it on side to remove it, it was just an attempt at some humour.
Mon 16/02/04 at 08:10
Regular
You sure you're not using Froogle, Flawless?
Mon 16/02/04 at 08:07
Fl4wless wrote:

> Can someone giv me a link on how to fit a PSU? And any1 who's read my
> posts before will no I hate google, cos all it gives ME is unrelated
> shopping sites! bah! If you cant giv a link, could you just tell me
> here what to do?

Erm no - type "fitting psu" in google. Third one down, it has a demo clip too.
Mon 16/02/04 at 07:55
Regular
"bing bang bong"
It doesn't attach to the crossbar, it just rests on it. The main thing holding the PSU in is the 4 screws attaching it to the back, which is ample. There's a 0% chance of it falling down and walloping your expensive bits if you screw it in even half-way.

Swapping a PSU is pretty straightforward, if a bit messy. The only thing you have to remember is where to plug all the power leads back in. The only complication is that an Antec Truepower comes with special molex power connectors which are connected to system fans only (the PSU alters the voltage to these connectors dependent on the system temperature, which is a clever way of lowering fan noise). Connecting these to something like your hard disk would result in it failing to work, and possibly never working again. Luckily, these are clearly marked.
Mon 16/02/04 at 02:52
Its not hard mate, simples case of swapping them around.
Mon 16/02/04 at 00:10
Regular
Why not turn the case on it's side to stop the risk of it falling and smashing all the equipment below?

Surely you've thought of that...
Sun 15/02/04 at 23:47
Regular
It was for mine. Unscrewed it and fitted the new one in. Double checked screws to make sure they were all fastened tightly in order to protect 9800 XT and the like. A bit of a bug*er to catch mind you ;)
Sun 15/02/04 at 23:15
Regular
Hi, I have just ordered an Antec TruePower 380W for a PC that being giving me the Jip.

Basically, I have been building systems for about 18months now, built about 10. But heres the embarrassing part; I've never ever fitted or reinstalled a a PSU before :(.

Basically, from looking at some old Systems I had up in my attic, it just looks like 4 to 8 screws on the backplate and then its in... but in my case it attaches to back and cross bars (Chieftec Dragon).

Can someone giv me a link on how to fit a PSU? And any1 who's read my posts before will no I hate google, cos all it gives ME is unrelated shopping sites! bah! If you cant giv a link, could you just tell me here what to do?

I think its just a case of screws out, catch it before it falls and destroys your 9800XT, AGP Slot, Modem, Lan Card and PCI Slots, then new PSU in... but can someone just confirm this?

Dan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.