GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to make a good horror movie - a few simple rules."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 12:45
Regular
"Braaains"
I don't post here often, but I'm in the mood for a bit of a rant. Having just having watched Wrong Turn, I despair at how vastly derivative the current crop of horror movies are. I've been a horror fan for a long time, and know that it is still possible to produce good horror films - the excellent Session Nine being an example, but no-one in Hollywood seems to have a clue (big surprise). So because we all know that film directors read the SR forums in their spare time, I thought I'd lay down four simple rules that, if followed, should ensure that any horror film is at least half decent.

RULE 1: Be unpredictable.

One of the problems with horror movies these days is that, within five minutes of seeing the cast on screen, you can usually guess who's going survive the film. It's invariably a boy/girl pair, who meet at the beginning of the film, warm to each other gradually and end up walking into the sunset as the end credits roll. Wrong, wrong, wrong. At least avoid big names and gives us a cast of characters any of whom could die at any point in the film. And throw in a couple of twists as well - after all, you don't want your audience getting cocky and thinking they know exactly what's coming next.

RULE 2: Keep your audience scared.

Your they should be on the edge of their seats, wondering what you're going to throw at them next. And by that, I don't mean having a cat jump out of a cupboard every five minutes and then letting them relax. A really good horror film should instill a sense of unease in the audience, not relying on cheap shocks but making the audience feel that something is very wrong and that something bad is going to happen. A horror movie audience should never be allowed to get comfortable - they should be on the edge of their seats or at least very worried indeed. A good soundtrack helps - just make sure a general sense of unease pervades the whole film.

RULE 3: Make your characters someone the audience can care about.

I can live with today's horror movie stars being teenagers - or 25 year olds pretending to be teenagers - Hollywood has a demographic to appeal to. But all too often the characters are so totally bland that you just don't care about them at all. Characters should be likeable so that when they meet a gruesome fate or are actually worried for them when they're wandering around dark corridors, fleeing whatever horrific creature is after them. With maybe a couple of dislikeable characters throw in so you can go 'yay!' when they're offed. But all too many horror films have characters that are so universally bland that you don't really care what happens to them - The Blair Witch project being a case in point.

And finally...

RULE 4: More is less.

If you really want to scare your audience, don't throw around special effects and CGI around like there's no tomorrow. Just compare the original 'The Haunting of Hill House', which showed very little but was scary as hell with the CGI filled remake 'The Haunting', a dire CGI fest with godzilla sized ghosts and which was totally laughable and unscary. Make your audience think there's something lurking in the shadows, but don't show what it is till the last few moments of the film. Since each person is an individual and scared by different things, letting each audience members' imagination fill in the blanks can work wonders, producing better results than any CGI or special effects model can.

Well, that's my piece said. No doubt Hollwood will continue spewing out the same old un-scary rubbish, but I can live in hope.
Tue 24/02/04 at 22:33
"period drama"
That's because they've balanced it out.
When it was all reviews ... that's because you could only win with reviews.
Tue 24/02/04 at 21:57
Regular
"Braaains"
Paradox: wrote:
> Congrats on the GAD, much deserved.

Ta.. first non-game review prize I've had. GAD seems to be more balanced these days, eg, not only game reviews as it once was.
Mon 23/02/04 at 16:21
Regular
"SOUP!"
Congrats on the GAD, much deserved.
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:54
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm sick of the "oh no, something scary's going to happen... oh wait, it's nothing - BOOM - cat jumps out/someone taps someone on the shoulder" thing. Happens in every film. It's scarier when something happens out of the blue.
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Braaains"
Cyclone wrote:
> Hannard wrote:
> RULE 2: Keep your audience scared.
>
>
> Haha

It might seem obvious, but just throwing in a cheap scare every ten minutes - a cat jumping out of a cupboard, someone slapping someone on the shoulder - does not *keep* an audience scared - it only lasts for a little bit. They should be on edge and uneasy for the whole film.
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:36
Regular
"That's right!"
Look at Aliens - you see glimpses of the aliens, just flashes really. Alien Resurrection - you saw them walking and swimming and... totally ruined it.

Less is more.
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hannard wrote:
> RULE 2: Keep your audience scared.
>

Haha
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:32
Regular
"SOUP!"
one word.
Identity.
Sun 15/02/04 at 20:20
Regular
"Braaains"
>
> Oh and by the Alfred Hitchcock who is generally regarded as one of
> the masters of the thriller/horror genre often had A-List stars in
> his films get slashed in the first few scenes as it was so unexpected
> to see the only famous person get knifed so soon. Just thought I'd
> point that out although making that point may be pointless.

I can only think of one other movie that did that - an underwater horror movie of sorts, and I was so sure the person in question was the hero of the piece. When he died, I was both shocked and impressed they'd offed the person.
Sun 15/02/04 at 13:03
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
I never saw The Haunting Of Hill House but I did see the Haunting when I was like 12 and it scared me sh!tle$$ to be frank. Still I more or less agree with all of your rules however you missed out one VERY important one. Keep away from Cliche. I'd say the horror genre apart from western or slapstick comedy films is the easiest to make cliche if you don't add originality to it.

Oh and by the Alfred Hitchcock who is generally regarded as one of the masters of the thriller/horror genre often had A-List stars in his films get slashed in the first few scenes as it was so unexpected to see the only famous person get knifed so soon. Just thought I'd point that out although making that point may be pointless.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.