GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Not Booting LEDs Stay on"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/02/04 at 16:33
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Rite, I encountered this problem once when i was building this PC:

I pressed the power button, it all fired up, but no image appeared on the TFT Screen, just says No Video Input. So I left it for a while came back and it worked fine.

I just took it to my Dads house and fired it up and it did the same, so I put the PSU Plug into a separate socket on the wall and removed all USB Devices and pressed all power plugs and it booted again.

I reinserted everything again and it all worked fine? Weird I thought. So after 20 mins of use, the PC Froze and so I rebooted and monitor went into sleep mode, so I shut everything down and rebooted. No Video Input.

This is all I get:

CPU Fan Spins
Hard Drive LED Flickers once then stays on
Power Light Stays on.

So I removed CD-RW Power cable and booted it, didn't work. So I left it for a while and tried again and it posted and worked fine. Since Im writing on the PC Now. But the CD-RW is unplugged but the Power Light on the case is blinking on and off.

I think it might be the PSU (300W) not supplying enough power to the system:

2500+ Barton
Gigabyte GA7N400e-l
Crucial DDR400 512mb
80gb HDD
Samsung DVD and CD-RW (Separate)

I only assume its the PSU cos it works after removing the power from a drive, and the power light is flickering, which I can only assumed to mean there is low power???

Can someone comment and tell me if it is the PSU so I can go and buy a new one?

Thanx. Dan.

(AKA. Fl4wless)
Sat 07/02/04 at 16:33
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Rite, I encountered this problem once when i was building this PC:

I pressed the power button, it all fired up, but no image appeared on the TFT Screen, just says No Video Input. So I left it for a while came back and it worked fine.

I just took it to my Dads house and fired it up and it did the same, so I put the PSU Plug into a separate socket on the wall and removed all USB Devices and pressed all power plugs and it booted again.

I reinserted everything again and it all worked fine? Weird I thought. So after 20 mins of use, the PC Froze and so I rebooted and monitor went into sleep mode, so I shut everything down and rebooted. No Video Input.

This is all I get:

CPU Fan Spins
Hard Drive LED Flickers once then stays on
Power Light Stays on.

So I removed CD-RW Power cable and booted it, didn't work. So I left it for a while and tried again and it posted and worked fine. Since Im writing on the PC Now. But the CD-RW is unplugged but the Power Light on the case is blinking on and off.

I think it might be the PSU (300W) not supplying enough power to the system:

2500+ Barton
Gigabyte GA7N400e-l
Crucial DDR400 512mb
80gb HDD
Samsung DVD and CD-RW (Separate)

I only assume its the PSU cos it works after removing the power from a drive, and the power light is flickering, which I can only assumed to mean there is low power???

Can someone comment and tell me if it is the PSU so I can go and buy a new one?

Thanx. Dan.

(AKA. Fl4wless)
Sat 07/02/04 at 18:33
Regular
It could be the PSU but not the wattage of it as that would be fine, it may just be a cheap PSU, one rule of thumb when buying or making a pc is "get a good quality PSU", It may also be a loose componants, Try re-seating the cpu and memory, It could also be the cdrw drive thats faulty or does it happen when you remove power from anything else? if all that fails then i would bet on it being a faulty motherboard.

Hope this helps

Colin
Sat 07/02/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Ive tried reseating everything, removed power cables, no luck.

I just took out Floppy Power and CD-RW in and it boots eventually.

I've found if I keep hitting reset, i.e. doesnt boot, hit reset, doesnt boot, hit reset, works.

The PSU is just one that came with a case last year. Got Feb 2003.

Everything else works fine, in fact perfect. O, and the power LED dont flash anymore, it stays on hard.

I have everything in the back again now and no problems.

I really hope it aint the motherboard, but I'll email Gigabyte to ask them and I'll go into my local PC Store and ask them.
Sat 07/02/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
when i got my new computer last year, i had the same problem, it booted once and then crashed, i reset and then 1 power light came on and the other started flashing, which i knew mean't it was sleeping.

i called the company i bought it from (not SR im afraid) and they aksed me if i had knowledge of computer intenals. so five inuted later i had the cover off, and i found the problem to be the graphics card being partly out of its socket, due to me moving the pc around in the car.
Sat 07/02/04 at 20:31
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You could try taking everything out and then running it with the minimum devices attached, then if that works, add something else, then if that works, add something else etc...

Thats the best way to pinpoint the problem. Although it is a bit boring.
Sun 08/02/04 at 09:00
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
OK
Disconnect everything and take the motherboard out of the case

Put the motherboard on a non conducting surfice adn plug the bare minimum in. i.ee hard drive, ram, graphics and processer
and switch it on. If it works then great, start pluging things in one by one until it doesnt work. If everything works then its a problem with the way youve put the motherboar in, the case is shorting the motherboard in some way. If it stops working after you plug a component in the take that component and put it in another computer, if it works then thats not the problem. Keep doing this until you find a falty component. If you don;t then its the PSU. 300W isnt really enough for a good computer to remain that stable anyway. Get a 400W or better one, a good indication of how good a PSU is is how heavy it is.
Hope that helps
Sun 08/02/04 at 12:35
Regular
"Nobody Home"
The thing is though, it all works perfectly once its started up, but its just starting it up in the first place.

If there was a motherboard short, then it wouldn't start at all.

The GFX Card might be something to look at, but it looks tightly seated and perfectly positioned. Will have a go now anyway.
Sun 08/02/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Back Down"
what is the best graphics card for the PC?
Sun 08/02/04 at 13:15
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
FIFTY-CENT wrote:
> what is the best graphics card for the PC?

depends how much money you have got to spend
Sun 08/02/04 at 16:30
Regular
rrr dont steal my post, start ur own.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.