GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Punch-Out!! - Review "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Punch-Out!!'.
Sun 13/09/09 at 15:23
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Punch Out!! was first a neglected series from the 80's. A sequel was then released on the NES in 1994, which was called Super Punch Out!!, and then complete silence for 15 years.

Your character is "Little Mac", a new york boxer that has aspiration to become the worldwide boxing champion.

There are 13 different characters (12 of which are from the other games) and only one who is new. Introducing "Disco Kid". Their stories are told by are explained through paintings about how they each train. They are all very colourful and hilariously too big for the hero's own weight class. Each of the 13 boxers have their own recurring pattern of "trademark" attacks and each of these swings has an exposure of what the opposition is going to do next. For example, the opposition will shout and will then launch an uppercut. Yet, as the game progressess it becomes more difficult to figure out what attack they will do next and only have a split second to dodge any incoming attacks.

This game is adapted to be playable with the balance board, you can dodge left and right whilst leaning or ducking (quack o.j) by pushing your body into the board. Without the balance board you can do the same but with the thumbstick.

There are no levels but just round after round of K.O people. Each ends with a boss level and is different to the rest of the other levels (obviously). You must cipher their attack patterns and to expose their weaknesses.

Punch Out!! features a special attack called "Star Punch". These attacks can only be executed by when you have one star. To gain stars you have to strike your opponent at a specific time, for example when they are taunting you and about to launch an uppercut on you. You can accumulate up to 3 stars but once you are attacked you will lose these.

The main mode to this game is Career mode. During this mode, you advance through the different tourneys and 12 different boxers.
The next mode is Title Defence. Yes you've guessed it, basically you defend your title. Yet a little harder than the previous mode.
Last stand mode is alot harder. if you lose it will lock you out of career mode.
Another mode is Head to Head, which is a multiplayer mode.
Exhibition mode is for practising your moves and dodges against another boxer. This will not increase your wins or losses. Each boxer has 3 unique goals in this mode. Basically everyone of them wants you to annihilate them. But sometimes they want you to do this without getting hit yourself.

A disadvantage to the game is that the fights become repetitive(you fight the same person 20 times). As you knock each opponent down they get back up and become better by varying their attacks slightly. Also, i believe that each character is over the top of their regions and cultures.
There are no leaderboards.

Overall 8/10
Sun 20/09/09 at 16:24
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Lol what would the starting price be?
Sun 20/09/09 at 15:37
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Probably for the best, my hmmmmm is worth far more than a game anyway! Maybe I'll put it on ebay.
Sun 20/09/09 at 14:16
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Garin wrote:
> Donate your win to me and I'll tell you. :P

Lol nope... this is the first thing i've won. I'm not letting it go so easily.
Sun 20/09/09 at 13:31
Regular
"I like turtles"
Garin wrote:
Donate your win to me and I'll tell you. :P

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

:)
Sun 20/09/09 at 13:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Donate your win to me and I'll tell you. :P
Sun 20/09/09 at 12:01
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
He's not gonna tell us is he....
Fri 18/09/09 at 09:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
My god! It's Hmmm.... and he's in the games section!

Haha. Anyway I too am intrigued as to the Hmmmmmm comment? :S
Thu 17/09/09 at 19:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
>
>
>
>
> It's nothing to do with me!!!???

Of course you deny it, you're fooling nobody though.
Thu 17/09/09 at 18:32
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Lol...
Thu 17/09/09 at 17:55
"Are you sure?"
Garin wrote:
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

It's nothing to do with me!!!???
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.