GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Confused about RAM."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 12:48
I want to install some RAM into my computer, but the choices of what to get seems endless!

Can anyone tell me what the different sorts actually mean to the system, and whether buying cheap RAM really makes a difference compared to buying expensive RAM.

Thanks very much.
Tue 10/02/04 at 15:17
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
DiG wrote:
> Theres not much point in paying £200+ for ram cos there really
> isnt that much performence diference betwenn that and £100 ram,
> about a 2% performance gain

Believe me in these days of FSB overclocking methods, RAM and cooling are ultimately the determining factors of how high a system can go.

My cheap Crucial PC3200 RAM will only squeeze out 210Mhz (420DDR), however I have just ordered some PC4000 ram capable of doing 250Mhz (500DDR).

By my crude calculations that works out a performance boost of well over 2%!!!!
Sun 08/02/04 at 20:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OCZ will almost certainly get you the performance you want for £60.

Corsair will definitely get you the performance you want for £200.

It's all about how much cash you have to spend.
Sun 08/02/04 at 09:04
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Theres not much point in paying £200+ for ram cos there really isnt that much performence diference betwenn that and £100 ram, about a 2% performance gain
Thu 05/02/04 at 22:14
Regular
"bing bang bong"
While Crucial RAM is not bleeding-edge-overclocking performance RAM, it's not bleeding-edge-overclocking performance RAM prices either, and for anything less than a liquid-nitrogen-cooled system it's virtually bulletproof.

A few questions for the original poster: Do you know what processor your computer has? Even better, do you know what your motherboard make + model are? Or what your system is (i.e. DELL something-something)?
Thu 05/02/04 at 20:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive no idea how far i could push mine, probably quite a bit further than the 200Mhz that its running at now. I wouldnt up the FSB until i got another cooler though.
Thu 05/02/04 at 17:55
"I love yo... lamp."
I wouldn't go that far. It is amongst the best, but not any better than Mushkin or OCZ. Or TwinMOS Twister. But it most definitely is overpriced. I nearly bought a gig of the XMS top of the range stuff, but having read up on it, I realised it wasn't worth twice the price of some TwinMOS stuff that I had been recommended.

Went with the TwinMOS Value stuff and it overclocks easily. I've run it at a 220 MHz FSB no problems.
Thu 05/02/04 at 16:41
Regular
"Digging!"
Jive wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Perhaps, but its no Corsair.
>
> Who? Never heard of them.

The best gaming RAM you can get. All major hardware websites such as Toms Hardware Guide use Cosair an recomend them.
Thu 05/02/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
cookie monster wrote:

Who? Never heard of them.
Thu 05/02/04 at 14:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Corsair is overrated, and overpriced.

*Falls off chair*
Thu 05/02/04 at 14:02
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
cookie monster wrote:

Corsair is overrated, and overpriced.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.