GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Speed Up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 09:17
Regular
I am planning to wirelessly share my internet connection and yesterday i upgraded my desktop PC to Win XP Pro. When i first put XP on this computer (nearly 2 years ago) it worked fine, but i had problems and had to downgrade to ME because i heard that ICS is impossible to setup on it. Now i have re-upgraded to XP on my computer and it is slow and takes a while to load many things up, here are my specs:
600mhz - AMD i think.
128MB RAM
6 GB HDD
And more but i dont think they neccesary to state.
Do you have any ideas how i could make my PC run faster, without buying more parts for it.
Thankyou
James
Thu 05/02/04 at 23:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Kingy2000 wrote:
> oh and another thing - speeed it up without parts?
>
> what planet r u on, well when you land on earth, buy some more
> memory...ok

While I don't like the tone of this comment, adding more memory will significantly improve the responsiveness of your PC. Also, you can switch to Windows Classic theme by right-clicking on desktop->Properties, click on the Appearance tab and in the Windows and buttons section select Windows Classic.

Effects can be turned off by pressing the Windows key+break together, then go to the Advanced tab->Performance settings->Adjust for Best Performance (or manually choose what effects you want).
Thu 05/02/04 at 22:27
Regular
Turn all effects off.

I'm on linux at the mo so I can't remember where it is where you turn them off, someone must know.
Thu 05/02/04 at 17:50
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
oh and another thing - speeed it up without parts?

what planet r u on, well when you land on earth, buy some more memory...ok
Thu 05/02/04 at 17:48
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
XP Pro, whilst in theory can be used on a comp above 128mb, is only any good at 256+mb of ram, due to the increased strain the system takes. because you have limited memory, your computer has to convert some hard disk into virtual memory, (clunky noise), this slows the computer down and isn't great, especially on slow hdd.
Thu 05/02/04 at 16:40
Regular
"Digging!"
Turn off all the transitions, effects, shadows etc.
Thu 05/02/04 at 15:05
Program that may help:

Registry Healer
PageDefrag
BootVIs

Bootvis is discontinued by Microsoft, but I'll upload it for you if I can get this free hosting package to work.
Thu 05/02/04 at 15:03
Nope. Unfortunately, software tweaks are minimal at best, unless your system is heavily fragmented with loose registry entries all over the place. First step is to get more RAM really.

Oh - you could try switching to the Classic interface in XP, takes up less resources. Also, if you're a bit of a techie, run the Services utility and turn off any unnecessary ones. Just generally strip down on graphical features and it should improve. A bit.
Thu 05/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
Oh well....it hasn't crashed yet.

*waits*
Thu 05/02/04 at 13:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
JamesD wrote:
> Do you have any ideas how i could make my PC run faster?

Yes.

> without buying more parts for it.

No.
Thu 05/02/04 at 09:17
Regular
I am planning to wirelessly share my internet connection and yesterday i upgraded my desktop PC to Win XP Pro. When i first put XP on this computer (nearly 2 years ago) it worked fine, but i had problems and had to downgrade to ME because i heard that ICS is impossible to setup on it. Now i have re-upgraded to XP on my computer and it is slow and takes a while to load many things up, here are my specs:
600mhz - AMD i think.
128MB RAM
6 GB HDD
And more but i dont think they neccesary to state.
Do you have any ideas how i could make my PC run faster, without buying more parts for it.
Thankyou
James

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.