GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proper Hot I tell the! (Barton 2500+ Heat Issues)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/02/04 at 21:07
Regular
I just built a PC with the following specs:

Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT A - NVNf2 Ultra ATX Sound LAN USB 2.0 REtail Box
512mb DDR400 Crucial

AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM

SpeezeVulturspin AMD CPU Cooler XP3200+ Low Noise

Panasonic Floppy Drive 1.44mb - OEM

Philips 15.1 TFT 150P3E 0.29 61khz Tco99 Ergo Base Height Adjustable

Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200rpm UDMA100 Hard Drive - OEM

D-Link 56kbps PCI Bus Hardware-based Analog Modem (Rockwell Connexant Chipset)

Samsung 16x48 IDE DVD-ROM Drive - Retail Box

Samsung 52x32x52x IDE Drive - OEM

Basically, my Barton is going at 64oC Idle!!! Thats hotter than my Palamino.

The only thing I can think of is the fact I have no Fan Exhausts to remove the hot air, even though from cold it boots instantly at 50oC, hotter than my Pally at load! The Case is one I got last year, a standard beige one, with no fans.

Can someone give me some suggestions of what to do?
Thu 05/02/04 at 18:09
Regular
I was also thinking it could be the voltage, but people who have the same motherboard dont seem to have any problems with this, having temps of 35-45oC.

In the manual it doesn't say it supports 2500+ Barton, but its a Gigabyte manual and they usually out of date or wrong anyway!

I cant check the CPU Voltage using Easytune for some reason, so i'll try SiSoftSandra when i set it up on saturday.

I'll make sure I get a few fans in for next month when I go to my dads again.
Thu 05/02/04 at 07:42
Regular
Yes, but I aint running the PC again until the weekend. But I think I can assure you its running that hot, cos the air inside the case was awful, and the area where I was running it got pretty hot.

I used to run my Palamino unveltilated in that case and it would be 60oC idle. Now in my chieftec dragon, its 35-45, with 14 silent fans.
Thu 05/02/04 at 07:22
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Just to restate what cookiemonster said, there is something fundamentally wrong if a Barton is idling in the 60's. Using bluetack as thermal grease might not even be enough.

Can you feel the heatsink while the computer is running? If it's really around 70 degrees then it should be too hot to touch for more than a second or so. If it's like this, then that rules out a temperature probe malfunction. Is the fan on the heatsink working?
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:05
Regular
temp in the bios and there are no fans, the 14 fans are in my PC, this PC is for my Dad.

The way I see it is, it runs perfectly fine at 64oC and it will only be used for non-demanding tasks, so overheat aint an issue.

I have a decided I'll install a new H&F and Stick an exhaust and an intake in the PC. If that doesn't solve it, then I guess i'll just live with it. But I was planning on overclocking it to a 3200+, so I would like to knock it down into Low 40s idle.

Ive looked on the gigabyte site and there are no bios flashes to update temp monitor, so it cant be anything wrong on that front.

I have also done some searching and found ppl with temps idle of 71oC, and they seemed to solve it by adding case fans or running with the cover off. So Fans it is.
Wed 04/02/04 at 22:19
Regular
Try turning off all the fans and see if that makes any differance, 50 degrees straight away is not good, is that the temp in the bios or are you using a temp sensing software?

Colin
Wed 04/02/04 at 22:08
Regular
and no it is seated correctly.
Wed 04/02/04 at 21:39
Regular
well, it came with this crappy white grease which idled at 71oC, so I put on some Coolermaster gunk and spread it as well as I could and knocked it down 7oC!

I think I'll get an exhaust fan, an intake and the Coolermaster Upto 3200+ Like I use in my current system... I have 14 Fans in this computer :D
Wed 04/02/04 at 21:29
Only because the racket made by the 23 fans in your PC keep you up at night.
Wed 04/02/04 at 21:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Well ner ner, I can wear shades and look cool. Even at night.
Wed 04/02/04 at 21:25
Ooeerr... see what I mean? Like boys with toys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.