GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 MEMORY CARD - NOT A RIP OFF!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/03/01 at 21:59
Regular
Playstation 2: The memory card. How’s that for a dramatic opening? Well if you weren’t impressed, try imagining an advert that has nothing to do with a Playstation 2, a screeching voice ‘Playstation 2’ and then the traditional deep voiced cinema person saying ‘Playstation 2: The memory card’. Still hasn’t worked? Why would it? What is so special about a memory card anyway, and why would it need such a grand opening?

Well, nearly everything about the Playstation 2 has been over-hyped, literally almost to the death – some games are just so poor! And with exception to the fairly good DVD player, which has received lots of criticism, even though its not that bad really, everything associated with the PS2 has, in many people’s eyes, failed to live up to expectation. Maybe people were asking for too much, and maybe people didn’t expect to be playing Playstation re-works on their new 128bit next generation console, but if there’s something that can’t really disappoint, it’s going to be the controller or a memory card really. And, well, the memory card doesn’t disappoint! It doesn’t claim to be anything more than it is, it doesn’t boast the aesthetical quality and game playing ability of Sega’s quirky Visual Memory Unit, and yet in this day and age all we really need is a memory card to play games on. Yes, the PS2 card excels in holding saved game data.

It’s colour co-ordinated with the PS2. Good start, and yet at £27.99 many have spit and spewed at the thought of being ‘ripped off’. So are you getting ripped off? Of course you are, we all are! How much could it have cost Sony to research, design and produce a 50gram piece of plastic, half the size of a match box? I really don’t know, but then everything we buy, we expect to pay more than the cost of production etc. So at £27.99 (can be found for less online at places like amazon.co.uk and alike) it’s one of the most expensive, almost a tenth of the actual Playstation 2 console price. But what do you get for your money? A memory card that can hold 8times the amount of the Dreamcast VMU, and probably 8 times the amount of the N64 and PSX memory cards! So you’ll only ever need one memory card! But you will need one. You see, the Playstation memory cards, that you use for the Playstation, will not work with the PS2, which effectively means you’ll have to splash out on a PS2 memory card if you want to save your game progress.

A guaranteed winner on Sony’s part, but you can get cheaper 3rd party alternatives. I nearly always stick with official peripherals though as they tend to be of a higher quality. So, it is worth it, and seems a bargain compared to the ‘competition’, but really the PS2 will be competing with the Nintendo Game Cube and Microsoft’s X-Box, so we’ll have to wait and see what the memory cards for those will offer (or could we see built in memory again??). So you have to get one, and at £27.99 it may seem a lot but you cannot really complain.

The design is simplistic and basic – fitting into one of the two PS2 memory card ports. It’s tiny, so you may question your motives for spending such an amount of money on such a tiny thing, but it’s what it does that counts. It’s black, and dinky with some wording on it ‘8mb’ and ‘official PlayStation 2’ are basically the main points that Sony wants to get across here. It’s actually quite funny really, as every time you save a game or load from the memory card, the display shows ‘Official Playstation 2 8mb memory card © or trade mark’ so it’s quite amusing, the description length! Half the unit slots into the PS2, with the other half remaining visible, so that you can pull it out afterwards. I haven’t yet heard of anyone’s memory card getting stuck in the machine, but it could happen I suppose. I doubt it though!

Compatible with every PS2 title, the memory card is an excellent piece of kit, that could have been something more exciting, but isn’t. It’s not pretending to be something it isn’t, and so the £28 is very good value for all those megabytes of space. The packaging is just as uninspiring as the Playstation 2 control pad packaging, with eth clear plastic and cardboard slip of information – very dull, boring and very hard to actually open! The availability should be high now, as Playstation 2 is in stock around the country I don’t see why there’d be any shortages of memory cards. You can buy them from such high street places as Woolworth and WH Smith, and the regular game stores like EB and Game, but as I say, many online stores will save you money so it’s worth checking the net.

All in all, I haven’t had to use the card very much at all, and hardly any space has been taken up – by SSX and ESPN only! So in this respect, I doubt I’ll ever need to buy another memory card again for the PS2, whereas I have had to buy 3 Visual Memory Units for the Dreamcast. Ergonomically the Official card isn’t anything special, and it doesn’t boast the LCD style screen as Sega’s does, but then there’d be very little point in it having one if it didn’t plug into the controller. I think Sony could have been a little more adventurous and borrowed the VMU style design for a memory card, and incorporated it into a new controller design, but then this would have put the price up higher, or perhaps lowered the amount of saving space. I guess you just can’t have it both ways!

Chances are, if you have a PS2 you’ll have a memory card, and so you may not need to know what I think about it, but maybe it’s good to know that people appreciate the simple and effective things in life! Maybe not! Anyway, thanks for reading again.

Dan2K1
Thu 29/03/01 at 21:59
Playstation 2: The memory card. How’s that for a dramatic opening? Well if you weren’t impressed, try imagining an advert that has nothing to do with a Playstation 2, a screeching voice ‘Playstation 2’ and then the traditional deep voiced cinema person saying ‘Playstation 2: The memory card’. Still hasn’t worked? Why would it? What is so special about a memory card anyway, and why would it need such a grand opening?

Well, nearly everything about the Playstation 2 has been over-hyped, literally almost to the death – some games are just so poor! And with exception to the fairly good DVD player, which has received lots of criticism, even though its not that bad really, everything associated with the PS2 has, in many people’s eyes, failed to live up to expectation. Maybe people were asking for too much, and maybe people didn’t expect to be playing Playstation re-works on their new 128bit next generation console, but if there’s something that can’t really disappoint, it’s going to be the controller or a memory card really. And, well, the memory card doesn’t disappoint! It doesn’t claim to be anything more than it is, it doesn’t boast the aesthetical quality and game playing ability of Sega’s quirky Visual Memory Unit, and yet in this day and age all we really need is a memory card to play games on. Yes, the PS2 card excels in holding saved game data.

It’s colour co-ordinated with the PS2. Good start, and yet at £27.99 many have spit and spewed at the thought of being ‘ripped off’. So are you getting ripped off? Of course you are, we all are! How much could it have cost Sony to research, design and produce a 50gram piece of plastic, half the size of a match box? I really don’t know, but then everything we buy, we expect to pay more than the cost of production etc. So at £27.99 (can be found for less online at places like amazon.co.uk and alike) it’s one of the most expensive, almost a tenth of the actual Playstation 2 console price. But what do you get for your money? A memory card that can hold 8times the amount of the Dreamcast VMU, and probably 8 times the amount of the N64 and PSX memory cards! So you’ll only ever need one memory card! But you will need one. You see, the Playstation memory cards, that you use for the Playstation, will not work with the PS2, which effectively means you’ll have to splash out on a PS2 memory card if you want to save your game progress.

A guaranteed winner on Sony’s part, but you can get cheaper 3rd party alternatives. I nearly always stick with official peripherals though as they tend to be of a higher quality. So, it is worth it, and seems a bargain compared to the ‘competition’, but really the PS2 will be competing with the Nintendo Game Cube and Microsoft’s X-Box, so we’ll have to wait and see what the memory cards for those will offer (or could we see built in memory again??). So you have to get one, and at £27.99 it may seem a lot but you cannot really complain.

The design is simplistic and basic – fitting into one of the two PS2 memory card ports. It’s tiny, so you may question your motives for spending such an amount of money on such a tiny thing, but it’s what it does that counts. It’s black, and dinky with some wording on it ‘8mb’ and ‘official PlayStation 2’ are basically the main points that Sony wants to get across here. It’s actually quite funny really, as every time you save a game or load from the memory card, the display shows ‘Official Playstation 2 8mb memory card © or trade mark’ so it’s quite amusing, the description length! Half the unit slots into the PS2, with the other half remaining visible, so that you can pull it out afterwards. I haven’t yet heard of anyone’s memory card getting stuck in the machine, but it could happen I suppose. I doubt it though!

Compatible with every PS2 title, the memory card is an excellent piece of kit, that could have been something more exciting, but isn’t. It’s not pretending to be something it isn’t, and so the £28 is very good value for all those megabytes of space. The packaging is just as uninspiring as the Playstation 2 control pad packaging, with eth clear plastic and cardboard slip of information – very dull, boring and very hard to actually open! The availability should be high now, as Playstation 2 is in stock around the country I don’t see why there’d be any shortages of memory cards. You can buy them from such high street places as Woolworth and WH Smith, and the regular game stores like EB and Game, but as I say, many online stores will save you money so it’s worth checking the net.

All in all, I haven’t had to use the card very much at all, and hardly any space has been taken up – by SSX and ESPN only! So in this respect, I doubt I’ll ever need to buy another memory card again for the PS2, whereas I have had to buy 3 Visual Memory Units for the Dreamcast. Ergonomically the Official card isn’t anything special, and it doesn’t boast the LCD style screen as Sega’s does, but then there’d be very little point in it having one if it didn’t plug into the controller. I think Sony could have been a little more adventurous and borrowed the VMU style design for a memory card, and incorporated it into a new controller design, but then this would have put the price up higher, or perhaps lowered the amount of saving space. I guess you just can’t have it both ways!

Chances are, if you have a PS2 you’ll have a memory card, and so you may not need to know what I think about it, but maybe it’s good to know that people appreciate the simple and effective things in life! Maybe not! Anyway, thanks for reading again.

Dan2K1
Thu 29/03/01 at 23:21
"High polygon count"
> But you will need one. You see, the Playstation memory cards, that
> you use for the Playstation, will not work with the PS2, which
> effectively means you’ll have to splash out on a PS2 memory card if
> you want to save your game progress.

Not *strictly* true, as you can use PS1 cards for saving PS1 games. Actually, you have to use a PS1 card for a PS1 game, although you can copy saves from PS1 cards to PS2 cards for backup purposes.
Sat 31/03/01 at 14:54
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Playstation 2 memory cards are DEFINATELY a rip-off. Think of how much it costs to by PC memory now, for the price of a 8mb PS2 card, you could probably buy 64mbs of Ram for a P.C thats 8 TIMES THE PS2 CARD!!!!! BUT! it is worth the money to save your games, basically you HAVE TO BUY IT!! can you imagine if you could never save your games, how annoying that would be! So it is a rip off but there is nothing we can do about it!
Sat 31/03/01 at 17:35
You can't compare PS2 memory to PC memory - only compare with the other consoles! PC games take up so much memory anyway, so your comparison is not valid!

Also, offering 8MB it is DEFINITELY (get a dictionary) not a rip-off!
Sun 01/04/01 at 11:54
Regular
Ps2 memory card is rip-off because unlike the old Ps1 memory card the saves keep on becoming bigger and take up more space meaning that a time would come where you have to get new one to keep on saving the same game. like already my TTT is 1,200Kb and is still geting bigger.
Fri 06/04/01 at 19:59
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Why can't u compare PS2 memory to PC memory??? it isn't that much different just 'cause its on a PC!
Even though i say that i am not intending to put down the PS2 in any way, i own i PS2 and think its great.
Does it really matter about the simple spelling mistake, one typing error, WHAT HAVE I DONE TO YOU?!!?!?!?!?!?
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:12
"High polygon count"
TomUk wrote:
> Why can't u compare PS2 memory to PC memory??? it isn't that much
> different just 'cause its on a PC!

The memory in the cards is non-volatile - it doesn't lose it's contents when power is removed; hence it's more expensive than 'normal' PC RAM.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.