GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't Drink and Drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/02/04 at 13:59
Regular
Goes without saying doesn't it, I'm sure none of you would ever consider it. But what about speeding? All my friends go faster than the speed limit, all of them.... I can forgive that to a degree especially as none of them would dream of speeding in a heavily populated area... country roads and motorways only....

I'm not a driver myself, I wouldn't understand the urge but when I do learn to drive I WILL never dream of even having one drink and driving... in fact I am so terrified of how dangerous driving is I will probably be the annoying guy who won't do more than 40 down the A1.

Please allow me to tell you a story, a sad story as to why 2004 has gotten off to a bad start. As you may know my ex-girlfriend's Dad died in november of last year, in some form of knee-jerk reaction I wanted to be back with her... helping her through it. It was a form of helplessness, I always imagined I'd be there when the Cancer finally took him for my girl, but I wasn't, I was heartbroken. But times have changed since then, all for the better, my best friend accepted defeat and allowed me to go out with the girl he fancied, Hollie. My very special girlfriend of which I have currently been with for a month. Times looking better indeed.

That was until Christmas Day.

I work at Waitrose, a nice partnership with a nice yearly bonus. My hours are also fantastic, doing a mere 3 hours in the evening between 6-9 is far from challenging and quite fun. I have been there 2 and a half years and I have come to love my shift and my fellow employee's, it is this very shift where I met Hollie in the first place. I call it my little evening shift family, many have come and gone over the past 2 years but Myself, Bobbi, Amy Gonzales, Hollie, Tracey Hindle, Chris Underwood, Lesley, Sarah, Hazel and Linda have formed a very special bond together. I'm a friendly person... they like me and I genuinly enjoy my work. Ever evening I look forward to visiting my little family every evening (not all of those people work the same evenings... I work every evening though). And everytime someone leaves to go to uni, find a better job or give birth to some baby it can be quite sad.

But not as sad as this.

Christmas Eve prompted what was set to be one of Waitrose's most successful pub crawls, the "crown to town" pub trip (Town = St. Neots). The slogan read: 12 pubs, one hell of a night. I was not to be there, I was in fact due at another pub not on the infamous list. Amy Gonzales, one of my close friends who worked Monday and Tuesday evening was due to be apart of the trip. She was ever so pretty, not the smartest kettle of fish but a fantastic dancer, a really talented performer and deeply in love with her boyfriend Paul. She was slightly shy but this didn't stop her being astoundingly popular and very funny. She was my double at work, she talked almost as much as I do and was as equally unproductive.

She had a bit to drink, being Christmas Eve what do you expect, and visited midnight mass Paul. Naturally she was a little drunk and re-joined the Waitrose crew a little later down the town. At the same time Craig Marshall had just left the pub after a lock in, he had also had a bit to drink and got into his car in Eaton Socon, on the edge of St. Neots. Amy being in a little gleeful state was on Paul's back as they attempted to cross the road at the traffic lights on the market square in order to reach Amy's Parents, Mel and Kev (also employee's of waitrose). The lights remained Red but the nearest car was over the on the bridge, some way away and would sure to stop when got close. So they crossed the road.

This car was a BMW 318i, the car of Craig Marshall, slamming down the St. Neots high street at 60 miles an hour.. a stupid stupid speed. The high street was littered with 100's of people leaving pubs, Taxi Drivers, owners of the burger van, bouncers and even police but it was poor, recently turned 18 year old, Amy and her boyfriend paul who were hit by this idiot. Paul fell forwards but Amy fell into the windscreen, clipping the side and flying 30 yards down the road. Parents Mel and Kev came running across to see their daughter suffer major head injuries.

Paul was discharged from hospital within a few weeks, suffering leg injuries. Amy was far more serious, after contracting the hospital bug MSRA and later Sceptecimia she died, almost a month later, in Addenbrookes hospital.

I have lost a friend, a member of my little family. Paul has lost the girl he loved, Mel and Kev have lost their gorgeous daughter who had celebrated her 18th birthday party just a month before the accident.

Many people come and go from my evening shift family and we always find someone as equally interesting to replace them... but on a Monday and Tuesday evening... no matter who or how many are working... there will always be one missing.

Please Don't Drink and Drive.

Dringo.
Wed 04/02/04 at 13:59
Regular
Goes without saying doesn't it, I'm sure none of you would ever consider it. But what about speeding? All my friends go faster than the speed limit, all of them.... I can forgive that to a degree especially as none of them would dream of speeding in a heavily populated area... country roads and motorways only....

I'm not a driver myself, I wouldn't understand the urge but when I do learn to drive I WILL never dream of even having one drink and driving... in fact I am so terrified of how dangerous driving is I will probably be the annoying guy who won't do more than 40 down the A1.

Please allow me to tell you a story, a sad story as to why 2004 has gotten off to a bad start. As you may know my ex-girlfriend's Dad died in november of last year, in some form of knee-jerk reaction I wanted to be back with her... helping her through it. It was a form of helplessness, I always imagined I'd be there when the Cancer finally took him for my girl, but I wasn't, I was heartbroken. But times have changed since then, all for the better, my best friend accepted defeat and allowed me to go out with the girl he fancied, Hollie. My very special girlfriend of which I have currently been with for a month. Times looking better indeed.

That was until Christmas Day.

I work at Waitrose, a nice partnership with a nice yearly bonus. My hours are also fantastic, doing a mere 3 hours in the evening between 6-9 is far from challenging and quite fun. I have been there 2 and a half years and I have come to love my shift and my fellow employee's, it is this very shift where I met Hollie in the first place. I call it my little evening shift family, many have come and gone over the past 2 years but Myself, Bobbi, Amy Gonzales, Hollie, Tracey Hindle, Chris Underwood, Lesley, Sarah, Hazel and Linda have formed a very special bond together. I'm a friendly person... they like me and I genuinly enjoy my work. Ever evening I look forward to visiting my little family every evening (not all of those people work the same evenings... I work every evening though). And everytime someone leaves to go to uni, find a better job or give birth to some baby it can be quite sad.

But not as sad as this.

Christmas Eve prompted what was set to be one of Waitrose's most successful pub crawls, the "crown to town" pub trip (Town = St. Neots). The slogan read: 12 pubs, one hell of a night. I was not to be there, I was in fact due at another pub not on the infamous list. Amy Gonzales, one of my close friends who worked Monday and Tuesday evening was due to be apart of the trip. She was ever so pretty, not the smartest kettle of fish but a fantastic dancer, a really talented performer and deeply in love with her boyfriend Paul. She was slightly shy but this didn't stop her being astoundingly popular and very funny. She was my double at work, she talked almost as much as I do and was as equally unproductive.

She had a bit to drink, being Christmas Eve what do you expect, and visited midnight mass Paul. Naturally she was a little drunk and re-joined the Waitrose crew a little later down the town. At the same time Craig Marshall had just left the pub after a lock in, he had also had a bit to drink and got into his car in Eaton Socon, on the edge of St. Neots. Amy being in a little gleeful state was on Paul's back as they attempted to cross the road at the traffic lights on the market square in order to reach Amy's Parents, Mel and Kev (also employee's of waitrose). The lights remained Red but the nearest car was over the on the bridge, some way away and would sure to stop when got close. So they crossed the road.

This car was a BMW 318i, the car of Craig Marshall, slamming down the St. Neots high street at 60 miles an hour.. a stupid stupid speed. The high street was littered with 100's of people leaving pubs, Taxi Drivers, owners of the burger van, bouncers and even police but it was poor, recently turned 18 year old, Amy and her boyfriend paul who were hit by this idiot. Paul fell forwards but Amy fell into the windscreen, clipping the side and flying 30 yards down the road. Parents Mel and Kev came running across to see their daughter suffer major head injuries.

Paul was discharged from hospital within a few weeks, suffering leg injuries. Amy was far more serious, after contracting the hospital bug MSRA and later Sceptecimia she died, almost a month later, in Addenbrookes hospital.

I have lost a friend, a member of my little family. Paul has lost the girl he loved, Mel and Kev have lost their gorgeous daughter who had celebrated her 18th birthday party just a month before the accident.

Many people come and go from my evening shift family and we always find someone as equally interesting to replace them... but on a Monday and Tuesday evening... no matter who or how many are working... there will always be one missing.

Please Don't Drink and Drive.

Dringo.
Wed 04/02/04 at 14:04
Regular
Excuse the obvious gramatical errors in that...

suffer = Suffering

Midnight Mass paul = Midnight Mass WITH paul

Ever evening I look forward to visiting my little family every evening - I look forward to visiting my little family every evening
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Not a Jew"
My condolences, Dringo. Can't imagine what it would be like to lose a close friend.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:42
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
My Uncle died in similar circumstances last year.

Got out of a taxi, a bit tipsy, crossed the road and was hit by a woman waaaay over the limit in terms of speed and alcohol. Who apparently went out for some milk. Loads of people around, therefore loads of witnesses to say how fast she was going.

Anyway, when he eventually got into a good enough state that they could move him to do brain scans, it was found that he was too far gone - brain stem dead. They turned off the life support on the day of my first exam last year, and it took him almost two whole days to die.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:54
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
When I was 5 one of my friends died but I don't think that, at that age, I really thought about it too much because at that age I do not think you fully realise what death is or means. My memories of him are vague at best.

It must be worse for you Dringo because the memories are still fresh in your mind and I think the older we get, up to a certain age, the more we feel when people die. As it was my friend died of an illness, that's kind of how I knew him, that couldn't be prevented by doctors. I still feel the occasional remote bit of guilt that he died from something I survived.

Your friend shouldn't have died and it could have been prevented if that guy had acted responsibly, which is what makes it worse.
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
Did u know the guy?

Your work sounds like the sort of place i work at. If anyone died there i don't know how i'd feel to be honest, i'd be devistated. I've never lost a friend and have only lost my nan and grandad in my 19 years. I send my sympathy to you your friends and Amy's friends and family.

xx
Wed 04/02/04 at 18:33
Regular
Everyone knows not to drink and drive, but what about drinking and walking?

About a month and a half ago, just before christmas, I was happily supping a cold one in my local, with a few mates, when an ambulance and 2 police cars appeared outside. We hadn't even noticed the commotion that had been going on just previous. There is a bus stop right opposite the pub - some drunk 16 year old girl got off it, and ran straight across the road. As she ran in front of the bus, the driver of a car overtaking it couldn't see her. She died about half an hour later, right there on the road. The driver was an elderly woman, who had to be treated for shock. Lucky she was not killed too.
Thu 05/02/04 at 00:21
Regular
It's times like this that I just want to quit drinking altogether.
Thu 05/02/04 at 00:58
Regular
"relocated"
Not much you can say to a post like this other than: I'm sorry.

A friend of mine died when we were both fifteen. She had a headache for a week, then had a brain haemorrhage and died a few hours later. Her parents were my parents' best friends and they phoned our house as she was taken to hospital. My whole life was turned upside down with that phonecall: all my grandparents were still alive and it was my first experience of death - and it was horrible, random and unfair. It was a totally different feeling from the grief I experienced a couple of years back when my grandad died in his eighties; but what I felt can't have been even a fraction of what her family went through.

Euggh: I was going to say that life sucks, but death sucks more.
Thu 05/02/04 at 10:48
Regular
200 odd people were at the funeral at least...

It was such a sad sad day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.