GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need For Speed Shift (360/PS3/PC)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Need For Speed: Shift'.
Fri 11/09/09 at 17:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
I am going mental or does this look like it actually might be quite good ?!? :S

Need For Speed Shift IGN Review

Would have to try it first,but it doesn't look that bad at all to me.
Thu 17/09/09 at 21:49
Regular
"I like turtles"
Right,just took it for a test drive and have to say it is actually very good.I would describe it as Forza Motorsport meets Racedriver GRID with a bit of PGR chucked in for good measure.Its still an arcade racer and simulation fans are unlikely to be won over by it.But if you fancy some high octane 4 wheeled fun you could do a hell of a lot worse than to pick this up.Haven't got time to play right the way through it and write a full blown review at the moment (getting ready to move house),so this mini review will hopefully give you guys a good idea of what to expect.

Graphics :

Not really mind blowing but they do the job.DIRT 2 looks prettier than this for sure.There are no frame rate issues (which plagued the earlier games) whatsoever and no hint of slowdown.There is some very minor pop up in places but its hardly noticeable to be honest.The game runs at an impressive rate once you get your hands on the more powerful cars.

7/10

Sound :

Wow !,I can't remember a driving game which sounded anything like this.Screaming flat out round the old Nurburgring sounds absolutely incredible.

9/10

Gameplay :

Excellent single player career mode offering a balanced mixture of racing and driving challenges.I would describe the handling of the cars as semi - realistic (like Forza,Gran Turismo) with (PGR style) arcade enhancements.You work up the career mode by earning 'stars' either for technical driving or aggression.Apart from the Burnout series (or perhaps a Renault F1 driver !),where else do you get rewarded for purposely crashing a race car ?.Spin out an opponent without crashing yourself earns you points as does very aggressive overtaking or blocking moves.Cars in similar catergories are evenly balanced which is refreshing.For example a BMW M3 will fly down the straights while the Audi RS4 will generally corner,brake and accelerate better.This leads to some truly intense battles as you fly past in the M3 only for the Audi to nail you at the next corner,tuck in behind and try to stay in its slipstream and you will be able to repass as soon as track opens back up.It leads to intense racing,which is just tremendous fun.Also the game creates a real sense of speed while still looking semi-realistic.If you crash heavily the screen goes blurred as your driver regains consciousness.The game has loads of neat little touches such as this and they all add to the fun.

9/10

Overall :

Ridiculous as this may sound,apart from simulation fans the other people who will probably dislike this game are Need For Speed fans.There is no facility to buy a 1.2 Nissan Micra,ram a nitrous injected F-15 fighter engine in it then bolt Boeing 747 wings on its roof.If you wanted the usual Need For Speed : Chavved To The Max rubbish,which the series had evolved into then you will be very disappointed indeed with this,it is nothing like that whatsoever.Its a great racing game which you can just pick up and play,its well produced and is loads of fun.Who would have thought one the best racing games currently available would be a Need For Speed title ?,not me for sure.

Recommended 8.5/10

Need For Speed Shift is out tomorrow (18/9) and there will be a demo available to download from the 1/10 on PSN and 2/10 on Xbox live.
Thu 17/09/09 at 16:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
Right,just going to try it now,will report back later.I'm almost scared to take the cellophane off !.
Wed 16/09/09 at 16:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Its got a 5/5 (Outstanding ! ) over on Gamespy as well.Never thought I would say this but I have succumbed and just parted with £30 of my hard earned cash (had a £5 credit for Shopto) on a Need For Speed Game !.Should get it tomorrow,will let you guys know if it is actually as good as reports suggest or whether I really should have known better ! :S
Tue 15/09/09 at 15:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just watched Gametrailers review and now I'm really curious.Will try and rent it this weekend.
Sun 13/09/09 at 17:31
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
pete_21 wrote:
> I am going mental or does this look like it actually might be
> quite good ?!? :S

Omg you may be right!!
Fri 11/09/09 at 17:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
I am going mental or does this look like it actually might be quite good ?!? :S

Need For Speed Shift IGN Review

Would have to try it first,but it doesn't look that bad at all to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.