GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Batman Arkham Asylum – Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'.
Wed 09/09/09 at 16:28
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Batman Arkham Asylum – Xbox 360

Probably one of my most anticipated games this year, i am a big fan of the Dark Knight and have really been waiting for a game that let’s me be as close to the real thing as possible. As far as i am concerned and with what else is available to buy, this is the best Batman game i have ever played. To different people there are great games and this is one for me, it really does put you in the batsuit and lets you play as Batman in one of his most intense adventures to date.

The game should need little introduction by now, but for those who are unaware of the game and the story – Batman has caught the Joker whilst up to no good in Gotham. The problem being, it all seemed a little too easy. Once they arrive at Arkham Asylum and Joker is taken off to be held in a cell, it all becomes apparent why. Joker had planned to get taken into Arkham and breaks free from the guards, running off and putting his plan into action. Quick to act Batman jumps through the security glass and into action to stop his arch nemesis. This is the tutorial really, you fight a few of Joker’s henchmen and learn that this is one of the best and most complete combat systems you have used in a game. The movement is fluid and animations are well strung together. Keeping your cool, countering attacks, jumping enemies and attack from all angles really puts the player in full control. I enjoyed the combat in this game so much, it puts the player in full control over Batman and lets you fight with him the way you always wanted to.

The great news, the rest of the controls are just as good. Movement is swift and from sneaking to gliding, it is all easy to pull off. You can play the game in different ways and this may result in different opinions from people. If you like to sneak in the shadows and silently take down your enemies then you have great environments to do this in and the world’s best at it. If you like to go a bit more full on attack then you will find yourself taking heavy damage and dying more, but potentially going quicker through stages. Everyone likes to do it their own way and as long as you enjoy it (i am sure you will) then it is up to you. EA have given the player the freedom and the control, that is one of my favourite aspects to the game.

The graphics are fantastic, i did not have the luxury to play on HD but the graphics were more than stunning on my TV, all the characters looks great, their animations match the personalities and EA have really put the time into making each character unique, which really pays off on the final game. The voice actors are that of the old cartoon, with Mark Hamill playing the joker, we all know Heath Ledger did a great job but to the people who had not experience Hamill as the joker, they may have a new favourite. His dark humour is all over the game and his one liners will have fans in awe at how good he is. Batman keeps his cool, contained self and all other characters are voiced superbly making the whole game come to life.

£40 is a lot of money to spend on a game (unless pete finds you a bargain!) but you do get a lot for your money, with about 15 hours game play and about a dozen challenges to complete once the game is done, you will not be too short on tasks to complete as Bruce Wayne! Even in game there are collectibles giving details on the characters and their history. The Riddler has plenty of hidden things for you to find or riddles to solve. All of this gives the game so much longevity. The nice thing is you will be playing because you enjoy it, not due to the fact you feel the need to complete it. Which i often find with some games, they become a chore to complete, not this gem!

Fans of Batman will love pretty much everything about the game, especially the array of gadgets you are given. From the simple Batarang, to Detective mode which gives thermal images of nearby enemies and their heart beat, along with weapons they might have. All helping you keep the stealth and make sure you are never seen! Do not worry if you are new to Batman, you will be fine without knowing a single thing, and details are fed to you during the game, by the end you will feel like a pro anyway!

I am sure you have all heard great things about the game and with 95% being an average score from most sources, i would agree and have to put it up there as one of the best games i have played in a long while.
9.5/10

I know you will be asking where does it fall down, well i like to try find problems in games as only the very very best get a 10! The only small issues i had were at times i was a bit over going back and forth to the same place to complete a similar task that i did 3 hours ago. They do change it about but it does have some repetition, would also have been great to have some form of online or co-op involved at some point. Also i believe the Joker can be used in challenges on Ps3 and not on Xbox, so a bit of a let down. Still a great game and one you will regret if you miss!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 09/09/09 at 16:28
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Batman Arkham Asylum – Xbox 360

Probably one of my most anticipated games this year, i am a big fan of the Dark Knight and have really been waiting for a game that let’s me be as close to the real thing as possible. As far as i am concerned and with what else is available to buy, this is the best Batman game i have ever played. To different people there are great games and this is one for me, it really does put you in the batsuit and lets you play as Batman in one of his most intense adventures to date.

The game should need little introduction by now, but for those who are unaware of the game and the story – Batman has caught the Joker whilst up to no good in Gotham. The problem being, it all seemed a little too easy. Once they arrive at Arkham Asylum and Joker is taken off to be held in a cell, it all becomes apparent why. Joker had planned to get taken into Arkham and breaks free from the guards, running off and putting his plan into action. Quick to act Batman jumps through the security glass and into action to stop his arch nemesis. This is the tutorial really, you fight a few of Joker’s henchmen and learn that this is one of the best and most complete combat systems you have used in a game. The movement is fluid and animations are well strung together. Keeping your cool, countering attacks, jumping enemies and attack from all angles really puts the player in full control. I enjoyed the combat in this game so much, it puts the player in full control over Batman and lets you fight with him the way you always wanted to.

The great news, the rest of the controls are just as good. Movement is swift and from sneaking to gliding, it is all easy to pull off. You can play the game in different ways and this may result in different opinions from people. If you like to sneak in the shadows and silently take down your enemies then you have great environments to do this in and the world’s best at it. If you like to go a bit more full on attack then you will find yourself taking heavy damage and dying more, but potentially going quicker through stages. Everyone likes to do it their own way and as long as you enjoy it (i am sure you will) then it is up to you. EA have given the player the freedom and the control, that is one of my favourite aspects to the game.

The graphics are fantastic, i did not have the luxury to play on HD but the graphics were more than stunning on my TV, all the characters looks great, their animations match the personalities and EA have really put the time into making each character unique, which really pays off on the final game. The voice actors are that of the old cartoon, with Mark Hamill playing the joker, we all know Heath Ledger did a great job but to the people who had not experience Hamill as the joker, they may have a new favourite. His dark humour is all over the game and his one liners will have fans in awe at how good he is. Batman keeps his cool, contained self and all other characters are voiced superbly making the whole game come to life.

£40 is a lot of money to spend on a game (unless pete finds you a bargain!) but you do get a lot for your money, with about 15 hours game play and about a dozen challenges to complete once the game is done, you will not be too short on tasks to complete as Bruce Wayne! Even in game there are collectibles giving details on the characters and their history. The Riddler has plenty of hidden things for you to find or riddles to solve. All of this gives the game so much longevity. The nice thing is you will be playing because you enjoy it, not due to the fact you feel the need to complete it. Which i often find with some games, they become a chore to complete, not this gem!

Fans of Batman will love pretty much everything about the game, especially the array of gadgets you are given. From the simple Batarang, to Detective mode which gives thermal images of nearby enemies and their heart beat, along with weapons they might have. All helping you keep the stealth and make sure you are never seen! Do not worry if you are new to Batman, you will be fine without knowing a single thing, and details are fed to you during the game, by the end you will feel like a pro anyway!

I am sure you have all heard great things about the game and with 95% being an average score from most sources, i would agree and have to put it up there as one of the best games i have played in a long while.
9.5/10

I know you will be asking where does it fall down, well i like to try find problems in games as only the very very best get a 10! The only small issues i had were at times i was a bit over going back and forth to the same place to complete a similar task that i did 3 hours ago. They do change it about but it does have some repetition, would also have been great to have some form of online or co-op involved at some point. Also i believe the Joker can be used in challenges on Ps3 and not on Xbox, so a bit of a let down. Still a great game and one you will regret if you miss!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.