GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Kung Fu Panda – Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Kung Fu Panda'.
Wed 09/09/09 at 15:29
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Kung Fu Panda – Xbox 360

As some of you will know i went and purchased this game due to it being very cheap and i wanted something fun to play until a mainstream game i had been waiting for hit the shelves. My thinking – the film is funny and a joy to watch, playing as a Panda doing Kung Fu has to hold some enjoyment, and it is cheap!

While i expected little, there were a few initial surprises, but in all – the game is a very average one. The plot does follow that of the film in some aspects but there is a whole lot of new pieces thrown in to pad the game out and not make it an hour to complete. For most of the game you take the role of Po the Panda and as most people will be aware, he dreams of becoming a great Kung Fu master, on the day when the dragon warrior (a special warrior who will protect the valley) is to be chosen, Po lands himself in the middle of those being chosen and ends up with the title Dragon Warrior. Not knowing any moves himself he is forced to train with Master Shifu and the furious 5 to get his skills ready for when the evil Tai Lung appears to try steal the Dragon Warrior Scroll and gain ultimate power.

The training mission is Po’s dream where he is the Dragon Warrior and is unstoppable – this gets you used to the controls and fighting off bad guys. Very simple and no real threat to getting stuck this early on, but it does flow well and would be useful for the younger players getting to grips with it. Once the game really begins on the day when the Dragon Warrior is to be chosen you have to try get into the arena to try watch the 5 training and then see who gets chosen. I found the gameplay to be very slow, movement is not fluid and the jumping is delayed. Climbing a ledge takes a few seconds which i found annoying, even the fighting is not quick enough for a Kung Fu game, i know you are playing as a Panda and so when he is moving it would not be quick etc etc, but in a game where the emphasis is on fighting and exploring it needed to flow smoother and have a bit more speed. The controls themselves actually work ok, X is weak attack, Y is strong, A is jump. So simple stuff which is good, as kids do not want to be holding LT then pressing X and A to do something, this allows them to just enjoy the game. The camera can be moved with the right stick, but holding up makes the camera look down (this always confuses me!).

The graphics were one of the surprises for me, they looked pretty nice. As an animated movie it was good to see that the same style was brought through on to the game and even the voice acting was fairly impressive in my opinion. The voices were good and there was some of the Jack Black humour we all enjoyed in the film thrown in to keep it seem like the film. While the graphics were not going to win any awards, they are bright and everything looks like it does in the film and that is all people want to see in a game like this.

As i mentioned earlier, a few new things have been thrown in to make the game complete, a few new levels like flying with Crane to protect the temple ducks, or fighting with tigress against a big machine to show your strength. All nice little additions to let the player experience the other characters in the game. It does not move too far away from the plot but there are various animal gangs introduced to keep the fighting going and not just have Po fighting static dummies.

So the game is fun but there is no real depth, one level is the same as the others, just throw in a few different enemies and a couple of side quests, but to most people it will get boring very quick and you will probably find it is not all that fun after 2 hours. So do not be tempted by the low price for a cheap and fun game! Kids however will enjoy playing as their favourite characters and enjoy a lot of the voicing as it seems like it is an extended film in places. Probably one you will be thankful you got if you have kids, but i would not recommend it for anyone without them unless you are a massive fan of the film and want a simple game with no depth.

5/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 09/09/09 at 15:29
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Kung Fu Panda – Xbox 360

As some of you will know i went and purchased this game due to it being very cheap and i wanted something fun to play until a mainstream game i had been waiting for hit the shelves. My thinking – the film is funny and a joy to watch, playing as a Panda doing Kung Fu has to hold some enjoyment, and it is cheap!

While i expected little, there were a few initial surprises, but in all – the game is a very average one. The plot does follow that of the film in some aspects but there is a whole lot of new pieces thrown in to pad the game out and not make it an hour to complete. For most of the game you take the role of Po the Panda and as most people will be aware, he dreams of becoming a great Kung Fu master, on the day when the dragon warrior (a special warrior who will protect the valley) is to be chosen, Po lands himself in the middle of those being chosen and ends up with the title Dragon Warrior. Not knowing any moves himself he is forced to train with Master Shifu and the furious 5 to get his skills ready for when the evil Tai Lung appears to try steal the Dragon Warrior Scroll and gain ultimate power.

The training mission is Po’s dream where he is the Dragon Warrior and is unstoppable – this gets you used to the controls and fighting off bad guys. Very simple and no real threat to getting stuck this early on, but it does flow well and would be useful for the younger players getting to grips with it. Once the game really begins on the day when the Dragon Warrior is to be chosen you have to try get into the arena to try watch the 5 training and then see who gets chosen. I found the gameplay to be very slow, movement is not fluid and the jumping is delayed. Climbing a ledge takes a few seconds which i found annoying, even the fighting is not quick enough for a Kung Fu game, i know you are playing as a Panda and so when he is moving it would not be quick etc etc, but in a game where the emphasis is on fighting and exploring it needed to flow smoother and have a bit more speed. The controls themselves actually work ok, X is weak attack, Y is strong, A is jump. So simple stuff which is good, as kids do not want to be holding LT then pressing X and A to do something, this allows them to just enjoy the game. The camera can be moved with the right stick, but holding up makes the camera look down (this always confuses me!).

The graphics were one of the surprises for me, they looked pretty nice. As an animated movie it was good to see that the same style was brought through on to the game and even the voice acting was fairly impressive in my opinion. The voices were good and there was some of the Jack Black humour we all enjoyed in the film thrown in to keep it seem like the film. While the graphics were not going to win any awards, they are bright and everything looks like it does in the film and that is all people want to see in a game like this.

As i mentioned earlier, a few new things have been thrown in to make the game complete, a few new levels like flying with Crane to protect the temple ducks, or fighting with tigress against a big machine to show your strength. All nice little additions to let the player experience the other characters in the game. It does not move too far away from the plot but there are various animal gangs introduced to keep the fighting going and not just have Po fighting static dummies.

So the game is fun but there is no real depth, one level is the same as the others, just throw in a few different enemies and a couple of side quests, but to most people it will get boring very quick and you will probably find it is not all that fun after 2 hours. So do not be tempted by the low price for a cheap and fun game! Kids however will enjoy playing as their favourite characters and enjoy a lot of the voicing as it seems like it is an extended film in places. Probably one you will be thankful you got if you have kids, but i would not recommend it for anyone without them unless you are a massive fan of the film and want a simple game with no depth.

5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.