GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ashes Cricket 09 Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ashes Cricket 2009'.
Sat 05/09/09 at 17:25
Regular
"Cool!"
Ashes Cricket 09 delivers one of the most anticipating sporting events to the Xbox 360. The game makes a good attempt at getting the feel and excitement of cricket, but a few major flaws makes it really only appealing for die-hard fans.

The game offers all of the matches you expect to see. Test Matches, One Day Internationals and the increasingly popular Twenty20. The Twenty20 is very fast paced, relies on big hits for six and four, and in contrast the Test matches give hardcore fans to experience a full test match, ball-by-ball. One major flaw I found while playing this game in the unpredictable difficulty in the game. One easy mode, you can except to get smacked around a bit while bowling over after over without reward.

Multiplayer is, in my opinion, the key factor of this game. You simply cannot enjoy this game on your own, it gets dull very quickly. Online play is great to, but I find it difficult to find a game every now and then.

The bowling mechanisms are good, but I find that even when playing the shortest format of the game, Twenty20, I get bored very quickly. To bowl, you choose a delivery, aim where you want it to go and then try and get the maximum speed. All this done with three simple presses of a button. You have to repeat this over and over again, but there are quite a few nifty features such as the confidence meter and the various deliveries you can use to deceive the batsmen.

Batting in Ashes Cricket 09 is good fun, and relies on timing and picking the gaps in the field to score runs. Like bowling, batsman have confidence meters as well and as your raise the confidence it becomes easier to time the ball.

There is an extremely fun tutorial and challenges mode, where you are taught the controls of the game and then use the skills you have learnt to complete challenges. They are a good break form the game, but way too short.

I personally am a little disappointed at how the fielding has been paid very little attention to. You simply choose where toy want to throw the ball, and you have no control of the fielder at all.

LBW decisions using hawk-eye are often disapprovingly and wildly incorrect; run-outs are extremely easy to come by as the computer has a poor AI, and generally fielding feels neglected and poor.

All the familiar grounds are there from Lords to the Harare stadium, which is nice to see. You can unlock new stadiums and kits and bats by beating records set by players which is an excellent extra.

Overall, Ashes Cricket 09 offers a very easy pick up and play interface, but its bugs and glitches really bring down what could have been a great cricket game.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 05/09/09 at 17:25
Regular
"Cool!"
Ashes Cricket 09 delivers one of the most anticipating sporting events to the Xbox 360. The game makes a good attempt at getting the feel and excitement of cricket, but a few major flaws makes it really only appealing for die-hard fans.

The game offers all of the matches you expect to see. Test Matches, One Day Internationals and the increasingly popular Twenty20. The Twenty20 is very fast paced, relies on big hits for six and four, and in contrast the Test matches give hardcore fans to experience a full test match, ball-by-ball. One major flaw I found while playing this game in the unpredictable difficulty in the game. One easy mode, you can except to get smacked around a bit while bowling over after over without reward.

Multiplayer is, in my opinion, the key factor of this game. You simply cannot enjoy this game on your own, it gets dull very quickly. Online play is great to, but I find it difficult to find a game every now and then.

The bowling mechanisms are good, but I find that even when playing the shortest format of the game, Twenty20, I get bored very quickly. To bowl, you choose a delivery, aim where you want it to go and then try and get the maximum speed. All this done with three simple presses of a button. You have to repeat this over and over again, but there are quite a few nifty features such as the confidence meter and the various deliveries you can use to deceive the batsmen.

Batting in Ashes Cricket 09 is good fun, and relies on timing and picking the gaps in the field to score runs. Like bowling, batsman have confidence meters as well and as your raise the confidence it becomes easier to time the ball.

There is an extremely fun tutorial and challenges mode, where you are taught the controls of the game and then use the skills you have learnt to complete challenges. They are a good break form the game, but way too short.

I personally am a little disappointed at how the fielding has been paid very little attention to. You simply choose where toy want to throw the ball, and you have no control of the fielder at all.

LBW decisions using hawk-eye are often disapprovingly and wildly incorrect; run-outs are extremely easy to come by as the computer has a poor AI, and generally fielding feels neglected and poor.

All the familiar grounds are there from Lords to the Harare stadium, which is nice to see. You can unlock new stadiums and kits and bats by beating records set by players which is an excellent extra.

Overall, Ashes Cricket 09 offers a very easy pick up and play interface, but its bugs and glitches really bring down what could have been a great cricket game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.