GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Simpsons Wrestling, better than WWF Smackdown2 !!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/03/01 at 10:54
Regular
Simpsons Wrestling finally brings all of your favourite Simpsons characters to your Playstation. Once I got the disc (I rented) I eagerly placed it inside my playstation and before long I was there. On the opening screen your greeted with a picture of Homer and Willie wrestling, and the Simpsons theme tune plays in the background. When you start the game you have a choice of eight characters to choose from, these are Barney, Homer, Apu, Marge(with Magie who attacks opponents on Marge’s behalf), Bart, Lisa, Krusty the Clown, and Groundskeeper Willie. Once you start playing you’ll realise that it is the games humour that makes it stand out, at the start of each mach opponents threaten each other in a comedic fashion.
On your screen you have 3 energy bars, and a TAUNT bar. The first two bars are your Energy bar, and your pin bar (if you cant get this down when someone pins you your out). The third bar is your move bar, which has a square, triangle and circle above it. When you do a move the bar goes down which then temporally restricts the range of moves you can do. The bar does replenish slowly when your not fighting, however the bar has to reach an appropriate level for you to perform a move: the square button moves are almost always accessible, but you may have to wait some time to be able to perform a triangle or circle move. This means you inevitably have to spend some of the match running around avoiding your opponent, I found this particularly annoying, however there are bonuses which randomly appear around the ring which you can pick up so there is some point to this madness. Bonuses include: Energy bonuses, Speed Boosts and the Letter Bonus. If you collect 5 letter bonuses, the word TAUNT is highlighted, this allows you to become temporally invincible when you press the R1 button, of course taunting your opponent as you do so. Homer for example has a number of taunts such as:

In your face loser !
You’re so lame !
This is going to be sweet !
Urge to kill rising !

Homers victory chants are also amusing:

I win, I whipped you and made you scream, mmmmm cream !
I’m so good I could kiss myself mmwa mmwa !

The moves that you can perform vary with each character, your position and of course the state of your move bar. There are three positions from which you can do moves standing in the ring, jumping in the air or from a grab (which you can do by pressing L1), oh and you can also run off the ropes and do a closeline type move. The moves are often bizarre and strange, such as homers eating doughnuts to become Big Homer (he becomes larger) or where Krusty pulls out a Giant mallet to squash his opponent! However the game is by no means perfect, the moves are limited not only by the fact that you have to wait for the move bar to recharge, but also because they are not varied enough. This means that occasionally in the single player mode you may find yourself unable to beat an opponent due to your limited moves. This fault could easily have been compensated for by being able to change characters at the continue screen, however this was not implemented. This leads to a frustrating one player game at times, it is also particularly annoying because you can take quite a beating even when knocked down so those hard matches seem even harder. Basically this means that Simpsons Wrestling can be annoying in the one player mode at times, there are some plus points though. If you complete the Newcomers, Defenders and then Champions Circuits you will be awarded with new characters such as Moe, Bubblebeeman, Kang and Burns (Smithers fights on Burns behalf). The two player mode is actually quite fun, that with the humour is the saving grace of this game. As such I would only recommend this game to people who like to play with friends, and fans of the show. To be truthful there are far better wrestling games out there such as the amazing and virtually flawless WWF Smackdown 2, which is also available for your playstation.
Sun 20/05/01 at 16:57
Simpsons Wrestling is OK with two players, although the single player mode isnt that much fun. Mainly due to the limited amount of moves available. Smackdown 2 is by far the best wrestling game available for the playstation.

However there are a number of cheats for Simpsons Wrestling that can make it more fun to play (i.e. cheats to unlock the secret characters).

For these cheats head on over to

UKcheats.com :-)

Sun 20/05/01 at 10:43
Although smackdown 2 is too much for what it is the simpsons wrestling just takes the mickey because it is pants!
Sat 19/05/01 at 11:12
Regular
no, not really it doesn't smackdown2 looks and is much better than simpsons wrestling.
Fri 18/05/01 at 17:13
Simpsons wrestling still looks really cool though
Wed 16/05/01 at 14:20
As I stated at the bottom of my review, WWF Smackdown 2 is a better game.

The title is just for shock value :-)
Fri 13/04/01 at 22:02
Regular
Hey i'm new in this forum
I prefare wwf smackdown2
Fri 13/04/01 at 10:07
Fool
Wed 28/03/01 at 10:54
Simpsons Wrestling finally brings all of your favourite Simpsons characters to your Playstation. Once I got the disc (I rented) I eagerly placed it inside my playstation and before long I was there. On the opening screen your greeted with a picture of Homer and Willie wrestling, and the Simpsons theme tune plays in the background. When you start the game you have a choice of eight characters to choose from, these are Barney, Homer, Apu, Marge(with Magie who attacks opponents on Marge’s behalf), Bart, Lisa, Krusty the Clown, and Groundskeeper Willie. Once you start playing you’ll realise that it is the games humour that makes it stand out, at the start of each mach opponents threaten each other in a comedic fashion.
On your screen you have 3 energy bars, and a TAUNT bar. The first two bars are your Energy bar, and your pin bar (if you cant get this down when someone pins you your out). The third bar is your move bar, which has a square, triangle and circle above it. When you do a move the bar goes down which then temporally restricts the range of moves you can do. The bar does replenish slowly when your not fighting, however the bar has to reach an appropriate level for you to perform a move: the square button moves are almost always accessible, but you may have to wait some time to be able to perform a triangle or circle move. This means you inevitably have to spend some of the match running around avoiding your opponent, I found this particularly annoying, however there are bonuses which randomly appear around the ring which you can pick up so there is some point to this madness. Bonuses include: Energy bonuses, Speed Boosts and the Letter Bonus. If you collect 5 letter bonuses, the word TAUNT is highlighted, this allows you to become temporally invincible when you press the R1 button, of course taunting your opponent as you do so. Homer for example has a number of taunts such as:

In your face loser !
You’re so lame !
This is going to be sweet !
Urge to kill rising !

Homers victory chants are also amusing:

I win, I whipped you and made you scream, mmmmm cream !
I’m so good I could kiss myself mmwa mmwa !

The moves that you can perform vary with each character, your position and of course the state of your move bar. There are three positions from which you can do moves standing in the ring, jumping in the air or from a grab (which you can do by pressing L1), oh and you can also run off the ropes and do a closeline type move. The moves are often bizarre and strange, such as homers eating doughnuts to become Big Homer (he becomes larger) or where Krusty pulls out a Giant mallet to squash his opponent! However the game is by no means perfect, the moves are limited not only by the fact that you have to wait for the move bar to recharge, but also because they are not varied enough. This means that occasionally in the single player mode you may find yourself unable to beat an opponent due to your limited moves. This fault could easily have been compensated for by being able to change characters at the continue screen, however this was not implemented. This leads to a frustrating one player game at times, it is also particularly annoying because you can take quite a beating even when knocked down so those hard matches seem even harder. Basically this means that Simpsons Wrestling can be annoying in the one player mode at times, there are some plus points though. If you complete the Newcomers, Defenders and then Champions Circuits you will be awarded with new characters such as Moe, Bubblebeeman, Kang and Burns (Smithers fights on Burns behalf). The two player mode is actually quite fun, that with the humour is the saving grace of this game. As such I would only recommend this game to people who like to play with friends, and fans of the show. To be truthful there are far better wrestling games out there such as the amazing and virtually flawless WWF Smackdown 2, which is also available for your playstation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.