GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Boom Blox Bash Party! "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Boom Blox Bash Party'.
Wed 02/09/09 at 15:46
"possibly impossible"
Boom Blox was the first game that big name director Stephen Spielberg put his name to. All he wanted was a game the whole family could play and something that was both fun and entertaining,

It worked and the game turned out to be pretty fun for everyone, so I wasn’t surprised to see a sequel appear. The only question was; would it be able to be more fun than the first game?

It turns out the answer to that is a big fat YES! Boom Blox Bash Party! (note the exclamation mark) is pretty much the same idea as the first game; throw a ball or other object at a pile of blocks and make them all topple over and explode.

It’s not as easy as that though, as you’ve probably guessed, there is gravity to contend with and a whole host of different blocks from magnets to monkeys (I kid you not!) all sent to test your block breaking ability. The best ones are the virus blox which will explode a whole load of blocks when it touches them, setting off a chain reaction across the tower of blocks. It’s pretty impressive.

Other new items include a fun slingshot to really throw those balls in to the blocks and loads of new ball types to use, all having different effects on the blocks.

The blocks and the items used to break them are colourful and clear and the camera (which you can pan all the way around the blocks) works well.

This time there's far more choice of scenery too, one minute you'll be underwater with the fishes and then next you'll be in space. The gravity and environment change with these levels too, whcih gives you an extra challenge.

Graphics are slightly improved over the first game, though they still occasionally suffer from too much going on in the game, not surprising considering the amount of physics that the Wii must have to calculate. It doesn’t distract from the game though and you’ll hardly notice it because you’ll be having way too much fun.

Did I mention how fun the game was? Well times that by 10 if you’re playing with friends. Taking it in turns to bash blocks or setting up challenges for each other is great fun, it’s so simple that even kids can join in, but involving enough for even hardened gamers to have a challenge.

Not only does it have all this, but it also features a fully functional level editor and the ability to upload these levels to the network and then play ones that other people have designed. If it had any more content I think I’d just explode myself!

Boom Blox Bash Party! Is brilliant and well worth getting if you have a Wii, throw away your Jenga set and play this instead.

9/10
Fri 04/09/09 at 08:55
Regular
"I like turtles"
Congrats on the win mate.
Fri 04/09/09 at 08:39
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Edgy.

It's on Zavvi for £17.95 at the moment.
Fri 04/09/09 at 08:10
Regular
Great review and congrats on the GAD win :)

I was thinking of getting this game for quite a while but I think you've now convinced me with this review.

If its half as fun as the original it'll be great!
Wed 02/09/09 at 15:46
"possibly impossible"
Boom Blox was the first game that big name director Stephen Spielberg put his name to. All he wanted was a game the whole family could play and something that was both fun and entertaining,

It worked and the game turned out to be pretty fun for everyone, so I wasn’t surprised to see a sequel appear. The only question was; would it be able to be more fun than the first game?

It turns out the answer to that is a big fat YES! Boom Blox Bash Party! (note the exclamation mark) is pretty much the same idea as the first game; throw a ball or other object at a pile of blocks and make them all topple over and explode.

It’s not as easy as that though, as you’ve probably guessed, there is gravity to contend with and a whole host of different blocks from magnets to monkeys (I kid you not!) all sent to test your block breaking ability. The best ones are the virus blox which will explode a whole load of blocks when it touches them, setting off a chain reaction across the tower of blocks. It’s pretty impressive.

Other new items include a fun slingshot to really throw those balls in to the blocks and loads of new ball types to use, all having different effects on the blocks.

The blocks and the items used to break them are colourful and clear and the camera (which you can pan all the way around the blocks) works well.

This time there's far more choice of scenery too, one minute you'll be underwater with the fishes and then next you'll be in space. The gravity and environment change with these levels too, whcih gives you an extra challenge.

Graphics are slightly improved over the first game, though they still occasionally suffer from too much going on in the game, not surprising considering the amount of physics that the Wii must have to calculate. It doesn’t distract from the game though and you’ll hardly notice it because you’ll be having way too much fun.

Did I mention how fun the game was? Well times that by 10 if you’re playing with friends. Taking it in turns to bash blocks or setting up challenges for each other is great fun, it’s so simple that even kids can join in, but involving enough for even hardened gamers to have a challenge.

Not only does it have all this, but it also features a fully functional level editor and the ability to upload these levels to the network and then play ones that other people have designed. If it had any more content I think I’d just explode myself!

Boom Blox Bash Party! Is brilliant and well worth getting if you have a Wii, throw away your Jenga set and play this instead.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.