GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Visual Basic Help Needed - Linking to Access."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/01/04 at 21:01
Regular
I want to link my VB Program to an access database.

I need to open the form and it will instantly add all of the book names in a database to a list or a text box.

Any help appreciated.

Dan.
Sat 31/01/04 at 08:53
Regular
yeah, but while I am at it, can you help me with someit else?

I need to synchonise 2 DBList Lists, called dblBook and dblPrice, so when the first in the list is clicked, the 1st in the price is clicked, and when the 3rd is clicked in dbl list, the 3rd in dblPrice is selected, etc.

I need to do this for any amount of books and bookname, cos all i have worked out so far is:

If dblBook.Text = "Book1" Then
dblPrice.Text = "£4.99"
End If

That works (I think its that, my project is it school), but if there is another book that is £4.99, it messes up. Basically I just need a way of doing this without referring to books and prices.
Sat 31/01/04 at 08:42
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Fl4wless wrote:
> no, DBList Component, just need a Data Control and no coding is
> needed, just need to set properties!

Fair enough, but my first comment still stands. :)
Fri 30/01/04 at 23:01
Regular
no, DBList Component, just need a Data Control and no coding is needed, just need to set properties!
Fri 30/01/04 at 16:48
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Fl4wless wrote:
> hmmm, seems simple enough.
>
> I will giv that a go, but i found another way, just use a data
> control and DBList Component. Easy ;)

Always go about things programmatically. That way, you'll truly understand what you've just created!

On a sidenote, adding components to a project doesn't do anything on their own - you have to actually incorporate them into your code.
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:09
Regular
hmmm, seems simple enough.

I will giv that a go, but i found another way, just use a data control and DBList Component. Easy ;)
Mon 26/01/04 at 22:41
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Well, ADO programming in itself is a vast topic, and what you're currently trying to do (which could well be considered the first step of learning database programming) has many different solutions.

I've just done a quick bit of googling and come up with this result:

http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer/SourceCode/vbs_dat.asp

Search for something along the lines of 'VB6 ADO tutorial' and you should get plenty of material.

Personally, I find books the best way to learn, but the web is a powerful resource in itself.

Take a look at a few examples, like the one above, get stuck in, and call back here if you get any specific problems. :)
Mon 26/01/04 at 22:19
Regular
vb6 SP5
Mon 26/01/04 at 21:59
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
What version of VB are you using?
Mon 26/01/04 at 21:01
Regular
I want to link my VB Program to an access database.

I need to open the form and it will instantly add all of the book names in a database to a list or a text box.

Any help appreciated.

Dan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.