GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Motherboard and memory problems, pretty strange"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/01/04 at 14:29
Regular
Basically i have just got some more memory, when i install this memory the system boots and it shows the memory, it also shows all the drives on the system but for some weird reason it does not boot into windows, it does not even go as far as accessing the boot drive (120gb Maxtor SATA) but then as soon as i put the old crucial stuff in the motherboard, it all boots fine, i am gonna try a bios updat when i get home to see if that will sort it, Im sure the new memory works fine, Does anybody know of this problems (mobo is ABIT IS7-E).

Cheers

Colin
Tue 27/01/04 at 08:30
Regular
yeh i have a SATA setup and i really noticed the performance increase from my PATA western digital SE.

Colin
Tue 27/01/04 at 07:54
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Nice one Colin.

Yeah, it can be frustrating at first, but when you get it sorted, it almost makes you appreciate the stuff even more - it's all a fantastic learning experience.

Oh, and a couple of THOUSAND more marks on 3dmark?? Woah! Looks like I should upgrade my 333 stuff to 400 pronto!

Crikey, that and a SATA RAID setup I've got planned will cost a pretty penny. Oh well! :D
Mon 26/01/04 at 23:58
Regular
o.k ive sorted it, thanks for all the help guys, It was a setting in the bios that adjust the gaming performance (only on the springdale chipset i think) and is set as default to the highest settings, now i have put the setting to normal the memory runs perfectly at rated speeds, i have also found no drop in gaming perfomance and actually it has made a couple of thousand marks more on 3dmark (proably due to the 6.4ghz of memory bandwidth and not the old 4.2ghz i had before), just one of those strange things, and also it is a bit stupid for the cmos default setting to run the game performance settings to the max (although i cannot see a reason why this memory cannot use it), oh well cheers for your feedback.

Don't you always find that when you are adding new memory and other componants to other peoples machines (home or work) that most of the time it all works out fine but as soon as you do something to your own system "BHAM" it has problems? but then again thats how we learn and become computer wizards :)

Colin
Mon 26/01/04 at 21:47
Regular
"relocated"
Is it just the hard drive you can't boot from, or does booting from a floppy or CD not work either?
Mon 26/01/04 at 20:25
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
What about your P4?

Is that one of the faster 800Mhz flavour, or the older slower 533MHz stuff? If it's the latter, your tasty new DDR400 RAM won't be able to run at the full 200MHz.

Again, an issue I'm sure you're aware of.
Mon 26/01/04 at 20:22
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Hmm, you're a knowledgeable man, and so I'm gonna presume it's nothing silly.

Had a look ob the Abit website, and it claims this model supports PC3200 RAM...doubted you'd fall for anything that stupid anyway. :)

Sounds like an easy excuse, but I 'spose there is a chance the RAM is duff. Then again, if this was the case, you wouldn't expect it to even register in POST.

Any chance the RAM is overheating? Unlikely at best... :/
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:29
Regular
Nope it's twinmoss PC3200 DDR and the old memory is PC2100 Crucial DDR.

Colin
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What kind of memory have you bought? Is it crucial stuff too?
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:20
Regular
Thanks but i know were the bios site is and have downloaded the bios, also flashed it but still with no luck.

Cheers

Colin
Mon 26/01/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Digging!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Basically i have just got some more memory, when i install this memory
> the system boots and it shows the memory, it also shows all the
> drives on the system but for some weird reason it does not boot into
> windows, it does not even go as far as accessing the boot drive
> (120gb Maxtor SATA) but then as soon as i put the old crucial stuff
> in the motherboard, it all boots fine, i am gonna try a bios updat
> when i get home to see if that will sort it, Im sure the new memory
> works fine, Does anybody know of this problems (mobo is ABIT IS7-E).
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/ (SPACE) bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=80

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.