GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry Demo - know why it's doing this?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/01/04 at 10:51
Regular
I downloaded the Far Cry demo the other day and managed to get one game in before going out. I thought it was fantastic and want to play it again. However, whenever I attempt to load it now, all I get is the menu system. When I go to launch the game (none of the settings have been changed, in fact, nothing on my PC has changed since the last time it worked) it either closes back down to the Windows desktop or reboots my machine!

Can you shed any light on why it would do this? Graphics drivers are up to date etc.

Could there be any software conflicting with the demo?
Tue 27/01/04 at 07:09
Regular
Well, Thanks for your advice, but it seems I have got the Pinfi virus infecting a number of critical files. This must be what is causing the inappropriate reboots.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a fresh install.

Thanks again, you were a great help!
Mon 26/01/04 at 13:52
Regular
http://support.ubi.com/International/

Try here!
Mon 26/01/04 at 13:51
Regular
Try your other games, Max payne 2 is a good one to try to see if its your graphics card. If it happnes on more than one then it will be a hardware problem most likely. However if all the others run drop a few people an email and check other forums to see if its happening to them.
Mon 26/01/04 at 13:40
Regular
All that side of it should be fine - It's a Shuttle XPC so everything was preconfigured for the chip and everything. It has worked before, as has other games (haven't checked to see if they still work yet) so there must be come kind of software conflict going on or something.

If I remember rightly, the only thing I have installed since Far Cry was Soulseek. That is now uninstalled but the problem remains.
Mon 26/01/04 at 13:35
Regular
It happened to me on every game until I got a dual fan power unit and upgraded my motherboard. Check to make sure you have a powerful power unit and that the jumper switches on your motherboard are all set correctly.
Mon 26/01/04 at 10:51
Regular
I downloaded the Far Cry demo the other day and managed to get one game in before going out. I thought it was fantastic and want to play it again. However, whenever I attempt to load it now, all I get is the menu system. When I go to launch the game (none of the settings have been changed, in fact, nothing on my PC has changed since the last time it worked) it either closes back down to the Windows desktop or reboots my machine!

Can you shed any light on why it would do this? Graphics drivers are up to date etc.

Could there be any software conflicting with the demo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.