GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Soundtracks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/01/04 at 20:37
Regular
"SOUP!"
In-game music is a big part of an overall gaming experience but how often have you been unsatisfied with the music in a game? If you are anything like me then it will be quite frequently because the bleeps and cheesy techno music just aren’t good enough. Here are some game sound tracks I think the developing world should have thought of:-

Pro Evo 3 – Great game, but lets face it – the soundtrack is awful, some half-assed trance tunes that aren’t anything to do with football, puh-leez! I was expecting to hear old favourites such as 3 Lions on a Shirt and other poorly sung world cup songs. I want to hear “Sum41- In Too Deep” whenever you make a cross that goes past the post or take a corner that goes over the intended target. When a goal is scored I want to hear “Coldplay – In My Place” as it would be a great deal more fitting that some halfwit Moby wannabees. When a player takes a dive and gets a free kick from it (Generally Argentinean’s) I would like to hear “Limp Bizkit – My Way” playing as the player has indeed gotten his own way. Perhaps a bit of “Linkin Park – Somewhere I belong” as the ball soars gently into the top corner of the net. I could go on and on about this game but I wont.

NHL Hitz – This is a game with quite a good rock sound track that gives atmosphere to the game but there are some songs that really should have been included. Seeing as the game in based on the ‘Hitz’ you make to other players I would enjoy hearing “Sum41 – Fat Lip” whenever a player is clattered to the ice or “Marilyn Manson – The Fight Song” when a fight is started. When a substitution is made I expect to hear “Tupac – Changes” blasting out of my speakers and when you lose an important game “Oasis – Stop crying your heart out” should play melodramatically for you to sob to. When a player is sent to the sin bin “Eminem – Without Me” should start playing, sadly it doesn’t.

Super Monkey Ball – You get the dodgy 80’s trance tunes and the shrieks of uttermost terror from the little furry apes, this is far from exciting unless you are some sort of monkey fetishist. Tracks that should be on the game are Rollin’ by Limp Bizkit, it makes sense doesn’t it? Balls…Rolling…Yes! Stupid Sega could have simply stolen a track from Fred Durst’s misfit posse and hey presto they would have a good sound track and would appeal to the 8-year-olds-in-big-hoody’s-who-want-to-be-moshers crowd.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater – Most of these games have a pretty cool soundtrack anyway and are by rock bands a great deal of the skaters listen to. One thing that really got my metaphorical goat was that “OPM – Heaven is a Half-pipe” isn’t included in the games. If there ever was a song made to accompany a skating game, that was it but the stupid Activision staff forgot about it, fools. Another tune they could have been included when a movie is unlocked in the game is “Alien Ant Farm – Movies”, very fitting isn’t it.

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance – A brilliant game but a weak techno soundtrack sort of lets it down a little. There are plenty of violent blood-craving songs that would go better with this game than fish goes with chips. The game has an abundance of blood so why not include “Soulfly – Bleed” in the game. When you are cracking your opponent over the head with a sword how about “Drowning Pool – Bodies” featuring the line ‘Let the bodies hit the floor’. What could suit the theme of the game any better than this? Other songs that would have gone great with the game would be “Eminem – Till I collapse”, “Staind – Suffer”, “Slipknot – My Plague”, “Unloco – bruises” and “Rage Against the Machine – Killing in the name of”. Perhaps you haven’t heard of all (or any) of these songs but you can tell by their names they are going to by psychotically heavy metal screaming abusing lyrics, this would bring out the games finer points well I think.

Roller coaster Tycoon – A fine game by anyone’s standards I am sure everyone will agree but its lack of a soundtrack (Except the bizarre organ thing at the start screen) is a bit of a bad point. Some accompanying songs that the developers may have wanted to include could be “Ronan Keating – Life is a Roller Coaster” and “Good Charlotte – Hold On”. For other rides different songs could be included, “Kylie Minogue – Spinning Around” could be played from the Merry-go-Round and “Village People – In The Navy” from a Swinging Ship. The playability of the game can’t really be improved upon but these few additions would spice up the sounds.

The Sims – A great and very interactive game where you can even listen to radio stations in the game, and if you are crafty you can import your own mp3’s into the game to play on the radio too! Some songs that should be included in the game are “Police – Every breath you take” which boasts the lyrics “Every breath you take, and every move you make, I’ll be watching you” – something very appropriate to the games see-all, hear-all antics. When your Sim is sad “Travis – Why does it always rain on me” could play, but when the Sim is happy then “Blur – Song 2” could blast out of the speakers (Yes, that’s the one that shouts Wahhoooo really loud!).

Age of Empires contains music composer just for the game. A bunch of ambient-ish tracks that make advancing to the Imperial Age fly by. This is all well and good when you’re building farms and mining stone, but it just doesn’t feel right when you’re leading 100 men on horseback and 10 battering rams to lay siege on an enemy village. I suggest ‘Seven Nation Army’ by the White Stripes or War by Edwin Starr (The one that goes “War, what is it good for…”) These would provide a much better mood for the gamer to lay siege on a village, and get in the mood for some good old fashioned pillaging.

Vice City- A game with a sound track that brought past decades to life, with some truly great songs on a number of radio stations. However none of the songs were really suited to the game. Where was “50 Cent – the art of getting robbed” when you stab a passer by and take their cash? When you steal a bikers Chopper and gun them down with your Uzi, where was “third Eye Blind – Motorcycle Drive-by” ? Or when you’re speeding down the highway being followed by a squadron of police cars, two choppers, an FBI truck and a tank – where was “Oasis – Don’t look back in anger” ? All of these are songs that should have been used but unfortunately weren’t.

My conclusion is that game developers need to think more appropriately when creating game soundtracks. Don’t hire a filthy student with a keyboard to add music to your game because he only charges £4 a day. Just plagiarise a professional’s work as long as it contains namesake lyrics or song titles. Sweet, sweet convenience.
Mon 26/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
The Soundclips all seem to load within a few seconds as well.

Might just have to nab the soundtrack one day...
Mon 26/01/04 at 20:54
Regular
"SOUP!"
That website is pretty good. Like the HMV one, only they're not 6kb midi files.

Indeed.
Mon 26/01/04 at 18:13
Regular
cheers german boy :D
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:56
Regular
Go to the SSX3 Website. There's a list of all of them, and you can listen to a sample of each. Pretty swish ;)

www.ssx3.com , if you hadn't already guessed
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:26
Regular
"SOUP!"
Thats still not all of them though! You can actually buy the SSX3 soundtrack on amazon.
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
. Don´t Let The Man Get You Down - Fatboy Slim (Exclusive New Track)
2. Mas - Kinky
3. Poor Leno - Röyksopp
4. Freeze - K-OS
5. All Night - Swollen Members
6. We Don´t Care - Audio Bullys
7. Leave Home - The Chemical Brothers
8. Like This - The X-Exutioners (Exclusive Track)
9. Rockstar - N.E.R.D. (Nivens Classic Club Blaster Edit)
10. Glass Danse - The Faint (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
11. Do Your Thing - Basement Jaxx (Jaxx Club Remix)
12. The Bitter End - Placebo (Junior Sanchez Output Remix - Exclusiv Track)

Which you can listen to some of them at:

http://www.emimusic.de/vir_at/xml/1/3250887/5943460.html
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:22
Regular
that's some good work there, are you sure that's the whole soundtrack though?
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:20
Regular
"SOUP!"
http://music.ign.com/articles/457/457045p1.html?fromint=1
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
I know a few of them..

Audiobullys - things I havent told you
Finger Eleven - Good Times
Junkie XL - About 100 songs!
Mon 26/01/04 at 17:15
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> SSX 3 has a pretty spectacular sound track too - live (well, not
> really) radio broadcasts with a presenter who introduces the song
> titles and all that. Really nice.

yeah, rented it at weekend, it has a great soundtrack.

now, where can I get the soundtrack listing, so I can dow... go out and buy those songs .... ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.