GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mikerowesoft"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/01/04 at 20:12
Heh This kid with the name Mike Rowe was making a website and he though it would be funny to put soft at the end of his name to make it sound like microsoft.
Although mircosoft did not find this amusing atall and decided to sue this 17 year old kid.

http://www.mikerowesoft.com/ thats the kids site.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ TECH/internet/01/19/ offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/index.html

And thats the news site.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:12
Heh This kid with the name Mike Rowe was making a website and he though it would be funny to put soft at the end of his name to make it sound like microsoft.
Although mircosoft did not find this amusing atall and decided to sue this 17 year old kid.

http://www.mikerowesoft.com/ thats the kids site.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ TECH/internet/01/19/ offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/index.html

And thats the news site.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:14
Regular
Old news.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:14
Regular
Oh and Mike said thanks to all the Ukers for their support and that he's overwhelmed the story has gotten to the UK.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:15
Rowe, a 17-year-old high school senior and Web designer from Victoria, has angered the software giant by registering an Internet site with the address www.MikeRoweSoft.com.

"Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it," said Rowe.

Microsoft, however, is not amused.

It has demanded that he give up his domain name. In November, Rowe received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

"I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me," Rowe said.

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $10,000.

On Thursday, he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement.

"I never even thought of getting anything out of them," he said, adding that he only asked for the $10,000 because he was "sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks."

Microsoft company spokesman Jim Desler said Sunday, "Microsoft has been in communication with Mr. Rowe in a good faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable resolution."

Rowe is keeping his sense of humor.

"It's not their name. It's my name. I just think it's kind of funny that they'd go after a 17-year-old," Rowe said.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:19
Regular
Again...
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:25
"she wants to move"
i dont get why they sue him..
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:33
Regular
": ("
I dont know why they sue him too???
1. Hes just a kid
2. The only part hes copying is "soft"
3. Its not like the websites gonna overtake microsoft in the number of viewers.

Its just pointless and makes microsoft look "soft".
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:35
Regular
": ("
Did they get any money out of the kid or did the kid win the case?
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:36
Regular
Oh, and incase you didn't know they have settled an agreement.

Teen agrees to change name of his Web site

SEATTLE -- A Canadian teen-ager whose Web site address bothered a certain giant software company will find a new home on the Web, Microsoft Corp. said Friday.

Mike Rowe, a 17-year-old resident of Victoria, British Columbia, has agreed to pick a new name for his Web site, www.mikerowesoft.com, Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler said.

Mike's father, Kim Rowe, confirmed that his son had struck an agreement with Microsoft. Rowe said his son could not be interviewed Friday because he had to study for final exams.

Desler said Microsoft would cover Mike's costs of changing to a new Web site, and help the teen get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, hoping to nuture "his interest in technology.
Sat 24/01/04 at 20:36
Don't know yet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.