GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Missing file on Windows 98"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/01/04 at 08:59
Regular
"not dead"
Hello clever folk of the forums.

I was trying to sort out my old PC, which I gave away, then the new owners deleted some files, and then tried to reload Windows 98 over the top of it.

Now it when you start it up you can get it to run, but it does come up witrh a message saying that vnetbios.vxd is missing.

Anyway, when I do a search for this file, it does exist. Does that mean the one that's there is in the wrong place, or broken?

How can I stop this error coming back?

Can I get the file back from somewhere else? Is it even important?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sat 24/01/04 at 10:56
Regular
Found this on another forum:-

"If you have Netware in your network neighborhood you need to remove it. Remove IPX/SPX and Client for netware networks. If that does not fix the issue on reboot, go back into your network stack and remove everything. Clean out the Window. Then restart. Upon reboot you will not get that message. Go back into network neighborhood, click on Add, choose protocol, and click add again, find Microsoft on the left, then choose TCP/IP on the right. Click on OK and you'll be prompted to select an adapter. If you have a modem, choose Microsoft, Dial-up adapter, and it will give you the client you need automatically. Click OK, reboot when prompted and say goodbye to vnetbios.vxd. This process applies to the vnetsup.vxd error message as well..."

I don't know if this will help and I advise writing down all your network setting before trying it.

the borg
Sat 24/01/04 at 08:59
Regular
"not dead"
Hello clever folk of the forums.

I was trying to sort out my old PC, which I gave away, then the new owners deleted some files, and then tried to reload Windows 98 over the top of it.

Now it when you start it up you can get it to run, but it does come up witrh a message saying that vnetbios.vxd is missing.

Anyway, when I do a search for this file, it does exist. Does that mean the one that's there is in the wrong place, or broken?

How can I stop this error coming back?

Can I get the file back from somewhere else? Is it even important?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.