GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So much for the free DVD remote..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/03/01 at 16:20
Regular
Has anyone else got one of these '3D2 DVD Remote Control' for Playstation 2 that Special Reserve are giving away?

I wonder if the reason they are giving them away is because they don't work?

It certainly looks the part. It's just a shame that it doesn't work on a single DVD movie in my collection.

It does operate - the light on the PadPort flashes when you press buttons, and you can move around the PS2 browser screen and stuff. It just doesn't work as on DVD movies. Which kind of defeats the object really.

I would tell Special Reserve, but although you can join, order and pay online, they must be one of the last companies on earth that don't think email is a valid form of communication.

So my advice is that you certainly don't BUY one of these remotes - and don't bother getting one as your free gift. And if the freebie remote is your only reason for buying a PS2 from Special Reserve or joining the club, like it was for me - then don't bother. Go elsewhere. Perhaps to a company that will let you email them in the event of a problem.
Tue 27/03/01 at 16:20
Has anyone else got one of these '3D2 DVD Remote Control' for Playstation 2 that Special Reserve are giving away?

I wonder if the reason they are giving them away is because they don't work?

It certainly looks the part. It's just a shame that it doesn't work on a single DVD movie in my collection.

It does operate - the light on the PadPort flashes when you press buttons, and you can move around the PS2 browser screen and stuff. It just doesn't work as on DVD movies. Which kind of defeats the object really.

I would tell Special Reserve, but although you can join, order and pay online, they must be one of the last companies on earth that don't think email is a valid form of communication.

So my advice is that you certainly don't BUY one of these remotes - and don't bother getting one as your free gift. And if the freebie remote is your only reason for buying a PS2 from Special Reserve or joining the club, like it was for me - then don't bother. Go elsewhere. Perhaps to a company that will let you email them in the event of a problem.
Tue 27/03/01 at 16:36
"High polygon count"
What an arrogant reaction. You'll get no sympathy from the regulars here with an attitude like that.

Special Reserve are a very good company with excellent customer support. It is slightly annoying that there's no e-mail address, but they have so many (happy) customers that they probably couldn't answer e-mails in a respectable time-frame.

Apart from that, the phone is quicker for *you*. So why not give them a call and get it solved, rather than whinging on here.

You will also find that SR's big boss posts here regularly, under the name of Tony, so he may have got it sorted for you. But with your attitude, I'm not so sure.

In the meantime, is the PS2 controller too much hassle to use? Or do you find it as complicated as a telephone?

Oh, and you did put the batteries in the remote, didn't you?
Tue 27/03/01 at 17:23
WM - I agree with your comments, but I had one of the freebie remotes as well, and had problems. It took me a while to get any kind of response out of it. My way of thinking is that it *was* a freebie, and so I wasn't expecting any minor miracles (Though I do kind of wish that I'd chosen something else).

If you haven't tried this already, and if you've only got one controller, put the receiver in the second port so it's not obstructed by a joypad connector (it shouldn't make a difference really, but it did for me!). Mine worked OK then. The buttons on the remote are a bit poor, but like I said, it's a freebie. You get what you pay for.
Tue 27/03/01 at 17:44
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
on the subject of PS2 dvd remotes. does any one know when the official one is out.....the japs have it ...surely it cant be that hard to make a PAL compatible one..if sony want to sell the PS2 as a complete home entertainment system, then they should make it complete.

PS

i dont have any sort of difficulties using a pad to contol dvds. but an official remote would be a hell of a lot nicer
Tue 27/03/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I dont think that Sony actually make an Offical DVD remote as such. I think that they just use another companies, Logic 3 I think. As Sony recommend it to be the best. I am not to sure if they have made an offical one. I bet there will be loads of replys telling me Iam wrong.
Tue 27/03/01 at 21:29
"High polygon count"
There is an official Sony controller, but I believe you're right - it is a re-badged third-party unit. Not sure whose it is, though.
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:23
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
so can you please tell me if this dvd controller of which you speak is the same one that is now bundled with the Jap PS2( cos thats the one im after what is its SCPH ref).and there is no dvd remote on the official shop site or neither had they heard of it on the PS2 helpline. come to think of it i have never had a straight answer from the sony helpline.

another thing that is begining to annoy me is this s video cable dilema

i look on the official USA site and low and behold they have a S VIDEO CABLE for sale

on the official uk site all they have is and i quote AV adapter (with S Video out connector ) so does this mean that i have to buy the adapter then buy a 3rd party s video cable.

i hope you can see my frustration at the lack of information that is being supplied to us

cmon sony get it together and maybe hire some one on your helpdesk that is actually knowledgable about the products on which they are giving advice
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:31
"High polygon count"
> so can you please tell me if this dvd controller of which you speak
> is the same one that is now bundled with the Jap PS2

Which one? The re-badged third-party controller is the 'official' controller, which as yet is not available in the UK. The one SR are giving away is not the official one.

> so does this mean that i have to buy the
> adapter then buy a 3rd party s video cable.

I would. To be honest, there's very little difference between them, unless you buy an extremely expensive cable such as the Monster.

> cmon sony get it together and maybe hire some one on your
> helpdesk that is actually knowledgable about the products on which
> they are giving advice

Hmm... I could do that! ;-)
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:40
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
the remote controller i want is the one that has been bundled with the new release of PS2 in japan is this the one that you are talking about WM.....

so why cant we have a s video lead as opposed to an adapter
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:44
Hey guys according to Daily Radar we'll be getting the Official DVD remote in July at about 20 quid.

Also in response to the s-video cable question I haven't seen one ANYWHERE!....I've been using an AV adapter with s-video out, using a third party s-video cable for dvds and the adapter's passthrough with my old rgb scart for games.

does the Job but the s-video is still pretty cack for games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.