GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"And on a similar theme, Top 20 albums!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Moody DJ"
20) Danny Howells - 24-7

A recent on this, concept is one disc which is 'Daytime' one disc which is 'Nighttime'. A bit of a departure from the usual Global Underground fare I have to say. The Daytime disc can flow from lovely summer chill to edgey Black Dog/early Autechre-ish sounds to DJ Shadow. A variety of electric and funky chill. Nice showcase. Nighttime heads down the path of quality electric house, lots of unheard rarities and exclusives come here. Danny Howells at the controls makes sure its a smooth and wonderful journey through both CDs. Different. Nice.

19) Gus Gus - Attention

Gus Gus should be more popular. The Icelanders count Massive Attack, Madonna and Bjork as fans. Attention is their first outing under Darren Emerson's Underwater label (home to Tim Deluxe). Its a quality catchy house album with a slight poppy edge without losing any of those gritty rhythms. High points are the wonderful David, eerie Call Of The Wild and Orbital-esque Desire. Worth it.

18) Craig Richards & Lee Burridge - Tyrant 2 (No Shoes No Cake)

This one here represents Fabric for me. 2 discs of quality mixed house and breaks from the Tyrant boys. Disc 1 is IMMENSE, smoothly going from funked up breaks to gritty progressive to spaced out deep house with ease, a quality mix. Disc 2 heads down more techy house affair but still manages to rock it nicely. No big names come onto this mix, just pure quality all the way through.

17) Tom Middleton - The Sound Of The Cosmos

Nice little inner passage from Tom Middleton on this one. A three disc journey, one taking breaks and electro (via Sunglasses at Night, New Order and Roots Manuva), the second lovely lovely deep house and the third being a nice downtempo chillage affair (Groove Armarda, Rae & Christian, FC Kahuna rah rah rah). Tom Middleton does an amazing job blending tunes together, remixing tracks live ... astonishing programming. Plus the entire value for money aspect is cool too, so many tunes for you £ ... no filler material. Should be something for all moods here too. One for summer.

16) Global Communications - 76:14

More Tom Middleton here, own artist stuff this time. An old classic under the name of Global Communications. No track titles for this album, you make the moods up for yourself. 76 minutes and 14 seconds of wonderful ambience from the glory days when KLF and The Orb ruled. Beautiful and uplifting.

15) Fila Brazillia - Brazillification / Maim That Tune

Trying to restrict to one artist only in this chart, but some deserve to have multiple works mentioned. Maim That Tune edges out Powerclown as a representation of their own work. One of the earlier Fila albums. A nice chill journey that takes funk, deep house and a little pinch of humour into account. Declared to be the British Air, they're in a different class entirely. Try the tempo shifting A Zed And Two L's to lift your soul, the deep hypnotic house stylings of Slacker and the epic string 10 minute journey of At Home In Space to get an idea of Fila. Brazilification is a 2CD of the best Fila remixes to date, melacholic funk take on of Radiohead's climbing up the walls, spacey crispy breaks of DJ Food's Freedom and the plain fooking class which is the remix of Lamb's Cottonwool. Essential. Give Powerclown a listen to tho eh?

14) Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By

I'd been hearing about this everywhere, especially since Royksopp broke the ice for lovely good vibe chill music. A little cult gem from the dance world but fooking IMPOSSIBLE to find. Had to go through Amazon Germany in the end. Small 6 tracker album of uplifting summery music, wonderful wide guitars and synths, bouncy happy melodies and beats. Definately smile material. Bonus marks though to the VERY Boards Of Canada-ish Molfsee at the end of the album. Quality.

13) James Zabiela - Sound In Motion

Hooj's best compilation since Sound Of The Cosmos, Zabiela takes to CD decks and more, completely live, no computer trickery and mashes up an excellent selection of electronic house and breaks. Fantastic stuff. The effort and skill in the mixing is jaw dropping. Great compilation.

12) Deep Dish - Yoshiesque / Global Underground Toronto

My faves get two mentions. Yoshiesque is the original acclaimed mix from their Yosh!toshi label, showcasing the Deep Dish brand of house. Forward thinking. Lovely gems from their own label in the form of Lexicon Avenue, Brother Brown, backed up with class from Underworld and Fluke. Great tour of house sounds. Masterful. Toronto is their latest effort, spanning 4CDs in total if you buy all parts of the package. The main mix is the one to go for. Very dancefloor orientated and not bogged down in the murky tribal of their Moscow GU comp. Spacey electronic house and thunderous progressive is the order of the day. Quality.

11) KLF - Chill Out

***** knows what the rest of the KLF stuff sounds like, I don't need it when I have THIS. a 45 minute journey based around a train journey across America, barking dogs, baa-ing sheep, steel guitar, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Justified And Ancient float in as ideas throughout this spacey ambient journey. Chill Out.

10) Sasha & Digweed - Northern Exposure

THE mix compilation. Much long deleted and no doubt not safe enough with the big up chart dance hits for Ministry Of Sound to re-issue. Still ... tis available on Ebay. THE master DJ pair mix up trance from the glory days gone by. None of this rifftastic euro ****e either. Early Future Sound Of London, William Orbit, Underworld, Banco De Gaia float in and out of this journey. Apparently the best selling dance album ever at one point. Probably until Ministry released 'Sound Of Generic Demographic BUM 2003'. One you really have to own and hear. Northern Exposure 2 gets a nice mention here for the breakstastic journey on Disc 1 too. Not quite as classic as this, but fooking class.

9) Zero 7 - Another Late Night

A great piece of summery chill, latin, funk, hip hop and soul get an outing here. MUCH better than anything I've heard from them before. Best of the Another Late Night series full stop. Make sure you own this if you're out to get a sun tan

8) Coldcut - Journeys By DJs - 70 Minutes Of Madness

A proper wicked mix from hip hop/sampling innovators Coldcut. Namechecked by Shadow on Endtroducing no less. This is a perfect example of why. The original release of this was hailed as a classic, then was deleted, started to fetch up to about £100 on Ebay and many years later, got re-released for ALL to hear! A proper mash up of sounds and genre's. 2 Many DJ's my FOO. Leaps from drum and bass and dub into techno before gliding effortlessly into downtempo ambience and then a proper old skool Coldcut cut and paste hip hop fest, via a wee bit of Autechre under Gescom guise we heard into jazzy Ninja Tune beats and breaks, finish off with a bit of Dr Who and DJ Food. Grand. A proper vision, the way that its ALL smooth and seamless, you just suddenly realise you're listening to a different track. So many moods, so many sounds.

7) DJ Krush - Zen / Shinso : Message From The Depth

The Japanese DJ Shadow. What to choose, rather than the megamix Holonic, I've gone for Zen and Shinso. Zen is a lighter affair with some chunking hip hop, frantic japanese influenced breakbeat experimentalism of Sonic Traveller, soulful guesting of N'dea Davenport on With Grace and the just plain gorgeous Song 1. Shinso is a completely different affair, like DJ Shadow meets Autechre, dark nasty echoing beats, full of nasty grit. There are lighter moments, but nothing like Zen, overall atmosphere is MOOD.

6) DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

THE best hip hop album ever. Musik's top Dance album of '96 and probably one of the best albums to ever be made. Lead yourself in with the catchy Midnight In A Perfect World, relax with What Does Your Soul Look Like parts 1 & 4, thrash your BUM off to The Number Song. You don't get atmosphere and mood created like this everyday. Sample manipulation by the master.

5) The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Fooking classy concept album muchly inspired by Floyd. The journey from Earth to the Ultraworld via the moon. Little Fluffy Clouds should be known by all, but what kicks this off is the moody spacey cosmic blends between tracks, psychadelic and trippy. Gorgeous ambience like Spanish Castles In Space sit along side chunky dub house Perpetual Dawn and trance inspired Into The Fourth Dimention. DO check out the 18 minute epic which is A Huge Evergrowing Brain That Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld (Loving You Live Mix 10). Some of these tracks would easily sit on Northern Exposure too. Classic and timeless.

4) Orbital - In Sides / Snivilisation

Peak Orbital. Where everyone tends to plump for Orbital II as the best Orbital, I prefer these two slightly later tracks, for the wider range of sounds you get on them. In Sides is plain fantastic, John Barry inspired soundtracky music, James Bond via electro. The Girl With The Sun In Her Head is one of the best openers to an album I've ever heard, Out There Somewhere 1 & 2 is a fantastic story of two halves, light and dark, spanning 28 minutes. Adnan's popped up on the Warchild album, but here it is in its FULL glory, classy. Snivilisation is the older album, but has Alison Goldfrapp (I thiiink it is!) on fine form with Sad But True, the wicked apocalyptic Are We Here? Oh GAH, just check it.

3)Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

The best Underworld I'd say, from the Born Slippy era, although it doesn't appear on this album. More coherant than the (still fabby) Beacoup Fish. Epic tech journeys span this album, Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love is melded into a 17 minute tech journey. Banstyle/Sappy's Curry flits from intelligent drum and bass into a low strung melacholic guitar led number. Plus the topness which is Pearls Girl, much much much better than Born Slippy, by oh such a large margin. Add to this Karl's bizarre stream of consciousness vocals and you have a winner. Also check out the Everything Everything Live DVD, the biggie Underworld hits, the live experience when Darren Emerson was still with them, and possibly one of the best live DVDs you can get!

2) Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork / Double Figure

Love me Plaid. Electronic experimentalism with leanings towards classical stylings. Less harsh on the ears than the other Warp artists (since Aphex and Autechre are well known for mashed up electronic spazzouts). Plaid (as far as I know) had alot to do with producing Bjork's electronic moments at one stage in her career, so you should know what to expect ... kind of. Rest Proof Clockwork goes from sweet electronic hip hop to guitar led ambience to thrashy electrocheese to electonic bossa nova. A nice tour of sounds DO check Shakbu, Ralome, New Bass Hippo and Dang Spot. Double Figure harkens back to the Black Dog past of Plaid (which I wish I owned more of), is a slightly more electo'd affair, less watery and soothing but still gorge. Plus you also get one tracks worth of random bleep fest in there for your money. Has the most lovely opener in the form of Eyen too. Grand. There were my fave band ever...

1) Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children / Geogaddi

Until THESE boys came along. The opener of Music Has The Right To Children, An Eagle In Your Mind, had me hooked from moment 1. Skittering electronic, moody melancholic noises which branches out into nice gritty hip hop beats. Simple melodies, dark moods throughout, and bass rumbling hip hop beats. Turquoise Hexagon Sun, Sixtyten, Aquarius ... far too many amazing moments, hypnotic. Hard to decide which is better of the two, Geogaddi has a much lighter sound (in my opinion!). Much wider range of sounds and production styles, Music Is Math, Dawn Chorus, madly hypnotic Gyroscope ... oh too many good tracks. But just as I decide this is the better album, memories of the simple moodiness of Music ... hit back in. Get them both.
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Moody DJ"
20) Danny Howells - 24-7

A recent on this, concept is one disc which is 'Daytime' one disc which is 'Nighttime'. A bit of a departure from the usual Global Underground fare I have to say. The Daytime disc can flow from lovely summer chill to edgey Black Dog/early Autechre-ish sounds to DJ Shadow. A variety of electric and funky chill. Nice showcase. Nighttime heads down the path of quality electric house, lots of unheard rarities and exclusives come here. Danny Howells at the controls makes sure its a smooth and wonderful journey through both CDs. Different. Nice.

19) Gus Gus - Attention

Gus Gus should be more popular. The Icelanders count Massive Attack, Madonna and Bjork as fans. Attention is their first outing under Darren Emerson's Underwater label (home to Tim Deluxe). Its a quality catchy house album with a slight poppy edge without losing any of those gritty rhythms. High points are the wonderful David, eerie Call Of The Wild and Orbital-esque Desire. Worth it.

18) Craig Richards & Lee Burridge - Tyrant 2 (No Shoes No Cake)

This one here represents Fabric for me. 2 discs of quality mixed house and breaks from the Tyrant boys. Disc 1 is IMMENSE, smoothly going from funked up breaks to gritty progressive to spaced out deep house with ease, a quality mix. Disc 2 heads down more techy house affair but still manages to rock it nicely. No big names come onto this mix, just pure quality all the way through.

17) Tom Middleton - The Sound Of The Cosmos

Nice little inner passage from Tom Middleton on this one. A three disc journey, one taking breaks and electro (via Sunglasses at Night, New Order and Roots Manuva), the second lovely lovely deep house and the third being a nice downtempo chillage affair (Groove Armarda, Rae & Christian, FC Kahuna rah rah rah). Tom Middleton does an amazing job blending tunes together, remixing tracks live ... astonishing programming. Plus the entire value for money aspect is cool too, so many tunes for you £ ... no filler material. Should be something for all moods here too. One for summer.

16) Global Communications - 76:14

More Tom Middleton here, own artist stuff this time. An old classic under the name of Global Communications. No track titles for this album, you make the moods up for yourself. 76 minutes and 14 seconds of wonderful ambience from the glory days when KLF and The Orb ruled. Beautiful and uplifting.

15) Fila Brazillia - Brazillification / Maim That Tune

Trying to restrict to one artist only in this chart, but some deserve to have multiple works mentioned. Maim That Tune edges out Powerclown as a representation of their own work. One of the earlier Fila albums. A nice chill journey that takes funk, deep house and a little pinch of humour into account. Declared to be the British Air, they're in a different class entirely. Try the tempo shifting A Zed And Two L's to lift your soul, the deep hypnotic house stylings of Slacker and the epic string 10 minute journey of At Home In Space to get an idea of Fila. Brazilification is a 2CD of the best Fila remixes to date, melacholic funk take on of Radiohead's climbing up the walls, spacey crispy breaks of DJ Food's Freedom and the plain fooking class which is the remix of Lamb's Cottonwool. Essential. Give Powerclown a listen to tho eh?

14) Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By

I'd been hearing about this everywhere, especially since Royksopp broke the ice for lovely good vibe chill music. A little cult gem from the dance world but fooking IMPOSSIBLE to find. Had to go through Amazon Germany in the end. Small 6 tracker album of uplifting summery music, wonderful wide guitars and synths, bouncy happy melodies and beats. Definately smile material. Bonus marks though to the VERY Boards Of Canada-ish Molfsee at the end of the album. Quality.

13) James Zabiela - Sound In Motion

Hooj's best compilation since Sound Of The Cosmos, Zabiela takes to CD decks and more, completely live, no computer trickery and mashes up an excellent selection of electronic house and breaks. Fantastic stuff. The effort and skill in the mixing is jaw dropping. Great compilation.

12) Deep Dish - Yoshiesque / Global Underground Toronto

My faves get two mentions. Yoshiesque is the original acclaimed mix from their Yosh!toshi label, showcasing the Deep Dish brand of house. Forward thinking. Lovely gems from their own label in the form of Lexicon Avenue, Brother Brown, backed up with class from Underworld and Fluke. Great tour of house sounds. Masterful. Toronto is their latest effort, spanning 4CDs in total if you buy all parts of the package. The main mix is the one to go for. Very dancefloor orientated and not bogged down in the murky tribal of their Moscow GU comp. Spacey electronic house and thunderous progressive is the order of the day. Quality.

11) KLF - Chill Out

***** knows what the rest of the KLF stuff sounds like, I don't need it when I have THIS. a 45 minute journey based around a train journey across America, barking dogs, baa-ing sheep, steel guitar, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Justified And Ancient float in as ideas throughout this spacey ambient journey. Chill Out.

10) Sasha & Digweed - Northern Exposure

THE mix compilation. Much long deleted and no doubt not safe enough with the big up chart dance hits for Ministry Of Sound to re-issue. Still ... tis available on Ebay. THE master DJ pair mix up trance from the glory days gone by. None of this rifftastic euro ****e either. Early Future Sound Of London, William Orbit, Underworld, Banco De Gaia float in and out of this journey. Apparently the best selling dance album ever at one point. Probably until Ministry released 'Sound Of Generic Demographic BUM 2003'. One you really have to own and hear. Northern Exposure 2 gets a nice mention here for the breakstastic journey on Disc 1 too. Not quite as classic as this, but fooking class.

9) Zero 7 - Another Late Night

A great piece of summery chill, latin, funk, hip hop and soul get an outing here. MUCH better than anything I've heard from them before. Best of the Another Late Night series full stop. Make sure you own this if you're out to get a sun tan

8) Coldcut - Journeys By DJs - 70 Minutes Of Madness

A proper wicked mix from hip hop/sampling innovators Coldcut. Namechecked by Shadow on Endtroducing no less. This is a perfect example of why. The original release of this was hailed as a classic, then was deleted, started to fetch up to about £100 on Ebay and many years later, got re-released for ALL to hear! A proper mash up of sounds and genre's. 2 Many DJ's my FOO. Leaps from drum and bass and dub into techno before gliding effortlessly into downtempo ambience and then a proper old skool Coldcut cut and paste hip hop fest, via a wee bit of Autechre under Gescom guise we heard into jazzy Ninja Tune beats and breaks, finish off with a bit of Dr Who and DJ Food. Grand. A proper vision, the way that its ALL smooth and seamless, you just suddenly realise you're listening to a different track. So many moods, so many sounds.

7) DJ Krush - Zen / Shinso : Message From The Depth

The Japanese DJ Shadow. What to choose, rather than the megamix Holonic, I've gone for Zen and Shinso. Zen is a lighter affair with some chunking hip hop, frantic japanese influenced breakbeat experimentalism of Sonic Traveller, soulful guesting of N'dea Davenport on With Grace and the just plain gorgeous Song 1. Shinso is a completely different affair, like DJ Shadow meets Autechre, dark nasty echoing beats, full of nasty grit. There are lighter moments, but nothing like Zen, overall atmosphere is MOOD.

6) DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

THE best hip hop album ever. Musik's top Dance album of '96 and probably one of the best albums to ever be made. Lead yourself in with the catchy Midnight In A Perfect World, relax with What Does Your Soul Look Like parts 1 & 4, thrash your BUM off to The Number Song. You don't get atmosphere and mood created like this everyday. Sample manipulation by the master.

5) The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Fooking classy concept album muchly inspired by Floyd. The journey from Earth to the Ultraworld via the moon. Little Fluffy Clouds should be known by all, but what kicks this off is the moody spacey cosmic blends between tracks, psychadelic and trippy. Gorgeous ambience like Spanish Castles In Space sit along side chunky dub house Perpetual Dawn and trance inspired Into The Fourth Dimention. DO check out the 18 minute epic which is A Huge Evergrowing Brain That Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld (Loving You Live Mix 10). Some of these tracks would easily sit on Northern Exposure too. Classic and timeless.

4) Orbital - In Sides / Snivilisation

Peak Orbital. Where everyone tends to plump for Orbital II as the best Orbital, I prefer these two slightly later tracks, for the wider range of sounds you get on them. In Sides is plain fantastic, John Barry inspired soundtracky music, James Bond via electro. The Girl With The Sun In Her Head is one of the best openers to an album I've ever heard, Out There Somewhere 1 & 2 is a fantastic story of two halves, light and dark, spanning 28 minutes. Adnan's popped up on the Warchild album, but here it is in its FULL glory, classy. Snivilisation is the older album, but has Alison Goldfrapp (I thiiink it is!) on fine form with Sad But True, the wicked apocalyptic Are We Here? Oh GAH, just check it.

3)Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

The best Underworld I'd say, from the Born Slippy era, although it doesn't appear on this album. More coherant than the (still fabby) Beacoup Fish. Epic tech journeys span this album, Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love is melded into a 17 minute tech journey. Banstyle/Sappy's Curry flits from intelligent drum and bass into a low strung melacholic guitar led number. Plus the topness which is Pearls Girl, much much much better than Born Slippy, by oh such a large margin. Add to this Karl's bizarre stream of consciousness vocals and you have a winner. Also check out the Everything Everything Live DVD, the biggie Underworld hits, the live experience when Darren Emerson was still with them, and possibly one of the best live DVDs you can get!

2) Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork / Double Figure

Love me Plaid. Electronic experimentalism with leanings towards classical stylings. Less harsh on the ears than the other Warp artists (since Aphex and Autechre are well known for mashed up electronic spazzouts). Plaid (as far as I know) had alot to do with producing Bjork's electronic moments at one stage in her career, so you should know what to expect ... kind of. Rest Proof Clockwork goes from sweet electronic hip hop to guitar led ambience to thrashy electrocheese to electonic bossa nova. A nice tour of sounds DO check Shakbu, Ralome, New Bass Hippo and Dang Spot. Double Figure harkens back to the Black Dog past of Plaid (which I wish I owned more of), is a slightly more electo'd affair, less watery and soothing but still gorge. Plus you also get one tracks worth of random bleep fest in there for your money. Has the most lovely opener in the form of Eyen too. Grand. There were my fave band ever...

1) Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children / Geogaddi

Until THESE boys came along. The opener of Music Has The Right To Children, An Eagle In Your Mind, had me hooked from moment 1. Skittering electronic, moody melancholic noises which branches out into nice gritty hip hop beats. Simple melodies, dark moods throughout, and bass rumbling hip hop beats. Turquoise Hexagon Sun, Sixtyten, Aquarius ... far too many amazing moments, hypnotic. Hard to decide which is better of the two, Geogaddi has a much lighter sound (in my opinion!). Much wider range of sounds and production styles, Music Is Math, Dawn Chorus, madly hypnotic Gyroscope ... oh too many good tracks. But just as I decide this is the better album, memories of the simple moodiness of Music ... hit back in. Get them both.
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:08
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
In 20 years time, no one will even remember these people.
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Blank wrote:
> In 20 years time, no one will even remember these people.

My GOD you're a joyless old TART aren't you?
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:57
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
No.
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:58
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Blank wrote:
> No.

Yes.
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:59
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Well if you knew the answer, why did you ask?
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:00
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Blank wrote:
> Well if you knew the answer, why did you ask?

I was hoping it was going to develop into a YES/NO one word answer slanging match that would have lasted the duration of several days

But thats RUINED now.
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:02
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I know you were hoping for that, because it's the only argument you're capable of.
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:04
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Blank wrote:
> I know you were hoping for that, because it's the only argument you're
> capable of.

I can assure you, I am quite capable at forming a decent argument, you on the other hand, seem only well versed in spouting aural VOMIT
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:07
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Widge wrote:
> I can assure you, I am quite capable at forming a decent argument,
> you on the other hand, seem only well versed in spouting aural VOMIT

1. Capable *of,* not capable at.
2. It isn't aural because it isn't to do with noise or hearing. It's written.
3. There's really no need for the amount of capital letters that you use.
4. Full stops would be handy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.