GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reset stylesheets"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/08/09 at 16:16
Regular
(see below)
Tue 01/09/09 at 14:40
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
cjh wrote:
> Machie:
> "I still haven't forgiven them for making IE 6."
>
> If they hadn't, we might have been stuck with IE 5 :)
>
> And to be fair to Microsoft, IE 6 was a pretty good web browser,
> it just wasn't updated quickly enough.
>
> Silverlight all
> the way :)

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions :P
Tue 01/09/09 at 14:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Machie:
"I still haven't forgiven them for making IE 6."

If they hadn't, we might have been stuck with IE 5 :)

And to be fair to Microsoft, IE 6 was a pretty good web browser, it just wasn't updated quickly enough.

Silverlight all the way :)
Tue 01/09/09 at 13:04
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Machie wrote:
> I'm thinking about using a reset stylesheet but I don't want to
> just turn everything off without knowing what it does.
>
> So please tell me whether you're using one and what are the
> things I might want to include in it.
>
> Thanks

I am not too sure about reset.css files, generally I would include it within the main CSS files as not to increase file loading overheads. Also sometimes the following CSS can suffice for most needs.

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

However if you want something more substantial use Eric Meyers reset.css.
Tue 01/09/09 at 12:28
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
cjh wrote:
>...
> I'd move it to the back of your mind for the time being. As it's
> designed as an update of HTML 4, I'd concentrate on using correct
> current HTML, and I wouldn't go through your current sites
> updating it with a working draft of HTML 5.
>
> Besides,
> Silverlight is the
> future ;)

I think a non-proprietary technology is the future, such as HTML5 built with all the goodness of SVG within <canvas>, so no plugins will ever be needed! Also <audio> and <video> tags to use players you select within your browser rather than, having to download Flash and SIlverlight plugins, that is the future IMO.

No point in using HTML5 for production purposes just yet though, the guys at WHATWG change their minds daily now.
Sun 30/08/09 at 14:15
Regular
I'm thinking about using a reset stylesheet but I don't want to just turn everything off without knowing what it does.

So please tell me whether you're using one and what are the things I might want to include in it.

Thanks
Sun 30/08/09 at 14:13
Regular
HTML 3 was in its infancy when I started making my website. I'm sure I'll get round to finishing it Garin :P
Sat 29/08/09 at 20:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The HTML 5 spec will be finished long before Machie finishes a website. :p
Sat 29/08/09 at 19:29
Regular
Thank you very much cjh :) and god I hope Microsoft isn't serious, I still haven't forgiven them for making IE 6.
Sat 29/08/09 at 19:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
HTML 5 is being talked about as the next version of HTML, and is still in the "development" stages, i.e. discussion of what people think should and should not be a part of it, etc, are still going on, and will do for a while I'd say, and then there is the time that it is incorporated in to browsers and readable by search engines, so it isn't by any means a finished standard.

I'd move it to the back of your mind for the time being. As it's designed as an update of HTML 4, I'd concentrate on using correct current HTML, and I wouldn't go through your current sites updating it with a working draft of HTML 5.

Besides, Silverlight is the future ;)
Sat 29/08/09 at 18:33
Regular
You'll never win a GAD just by posting links Hmmm :)

Can I have a very detailed article with tutorials and examples please?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.