GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Philosophy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/01/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Keep this philosophy in mind the next time you either hear or are about to repeat a rumour.

---------------

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and ..."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued. "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really ..."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed.

This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why he never found out that Plato was banging his wife.
Fri 23/01/04 at 19:35
Regular
"Notable"
Philosophy means the love of knowledge.
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:56
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
wicked!
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Bwah ha ha ha ha haaaaaa! Fantastic!!!
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:20
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Absolutely no idea.
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:15
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Well, was Plato banging his wife?
Thu 22/01/04 at 12:45
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Timmargh wrote:
> Kat wrote:
> Do you study philosophy or just enjoy it?
>
> Neither, I'm afraid - it was in an email I received this morning.

No need to be afraid.
Thu 22/01/04 at 12:45
Regular
"relocated"
Is the first bit real? I hope so - it seems too wise for a mere joke.
Thu 22/01/04 at 12:40
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Kat wrote:
> Do you study philosophy or just enjoy it?

Neither, I'm afraid - it was in an email I received this morning.
Thu 22/01/04 at 12:37
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
:D

* Tries to memorise it.
Thu 22/01/04 at 12:34
Regular
"relocated"
Educational and funny!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.